Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 05-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Gary Williams retires from Maryland

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6487292

Quote:
Gary Williams considered retiring after Maryland stunned Duke and the rest of the ACC in 2010 to earn a share of the conference regular-season title.

But the competitor in Williams stopped short and saw another challenge, trying to coach the Terrapins up after losing his senior starting backcourt of Greivis Vasquez and Eric Hayes.

The Terps weren't able to reach the postseason this past March, finishing in the middle of the ACC. As late as early evening Wednesday, Williams was on the phone with ESPN.com, talking about the big men he had to replace sophomore Jordan Williams, who had decided to remain in the NBA draft. But in a stunning move, only because there were no clear signs of this recently, Williams announced Thursday that he is retiring. A news conference is set for Friday at 1 p.m. at the Comcast Center, a building that is a testament to the program that he built.

The drive and fire that had defined Williams throughout his 33 years as a head coach in the Big East at Boston College, in the Big Ten at Ohio State and the last 22 at his alma mater at Maryland was diminished, he said, adding that his health is fine and that was not an issue in his decision to retire.

"I just want to do other things," Williams told ESPN.com Thursday afternoon. "I'm 66. How many other coaches are coaching beyond 66? Maybe only Jim Calhoun [Connecticut] and Jim Boeheim [Syracuse]. You get to be a certain age and I know I can do other things."

Williams said he considered retiring at the end of the season. But he said he wanted to see how he really felt.

"I took six weeks," Williams said. "I just look at all the other coaches out there, look at all the coaches that have been in the league [ACC] since I've been coaching at Maryland. There have been five [actually four] at North Carolina [Dean Smith, Bill Guthridge, Matt Doherty and Roy Williams]."

Williams said he made his final decision within the past few days after changing his mind to do it a year ago "once we tied Duke for the championship with Greivis."

"The most enjoyable thing I do is teach and I had a great teaching class, a 12-person class to work with," Williams said. "I will miss that. I won't miss a lot of the other stuff."

Helluva job opening, helluva retiring coach.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:23 PM   #2
Goliath Uterus
Y.G.R.N

Goliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGoliath Uterus is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Gary Williams retires from Maryland

nick Faust back on the market
Goliath Uterus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:23 PM   #3
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

And the quality of coaching the ACC continues it downward spiral. Maryland should be able to land a nice hire, though.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
And the quality of coaching the ACC continues it downward spiral. Maryland should be able to land a nice hire, though.
I'm not really sure why Williams chose to recruit the way he did, but the DC/Baltimore area is FERTILE recruiting ground. Maryland's got money, great facilities. It's probably a top 15 or so job, maybe even higher.

They'll have their pick of plenty of really big names, should anyway. Guys like Mike Brey, Sean Miller (UM's his dream job apparently), Jay Wright, Jamie Dixon. There's not but a handful of coaches in the whole country that wouldn't at least listen to the offer.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #5
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

StateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation hereStateProperty has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
I'm not really sure why Williams chose to recruit the way he did, but the DC/Baltimore area is FERTILE recruiting ground. Maryland's got money, great facilities. It's probably a top 15 or so job, maybe even higher.

They'll have their pick of plenty of really big names, should anyway. Guys like Mike Brey, Sean Miller (UM's his dream job apparently), Jay Wright, Jamie Dixon. There's not but a handful of coaches in the whole country that wouldn't at least listen to the offer.
When he was in the A-10 I always heard he wanted to coach at Pitt. Played there too.

Jay Wright would never leave Villanova unless it was for an NBA job. He's from Bucks County (I think that's where Marlo was living), his wife is a Nova alum, he gets all the big time Philly recruits, still gets the NYC/north Jersey recruits because of the location and his old ties, and he's worshipped here. Maryland would likely be a downgrade from where he's at.

He flirted with the vacant Sixers job but said it was more just a courtesy. I could see him eventually make that kind of jump but right now he's in a perfect situation for himself.

Now Jamie Dixon I could definitely see.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 PM   #6
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Send Dixon to Maryland and bring Sean Miller back home to Pitt. Seriously tho, unless we can get Miller I'm nervous about this opening.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:25 PM   #7
GOheAT
Banned

GOheAT is starting to rub some people the wrong way

66 years old, 668 wins, damnit! so close
GOheAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 02:46 AM   #8
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

The list of players Williams let get out of the Baltimore/DC area is ridiculous. Prince George's County, MD, might be the recruiting hotbed for college hoops. Prince George's County also happens to be where Maryland is located. Oh, and Dematha High (one of the most heralded and successful high school hoops programs in the nation) is only like three or four miles away form Maryland.

I knew some of these players were from the area, none of which ended up at Maryland even though they were in Williams' back yard.

Kevin Durant
Ty Lawson
Michael Beasley
Nolan Smith
Sam Young
Jeff Green
Roy Hibbert
Chris Wright
Josh Selby

Apparently Duke is raiding the county lately. They got Nolan Smith, and Tyler Thornton and Josh Hairston (2010 recruits) are currently at Duke. I know George Mason recruits the area pretty heavily for the "lesser" recruits. I think two or three starters from their 2006 Final Four team are from Prince George's.

That recruiting area alone should make Maryland a pretty coveted job. It has all the resources to be as competitive as Duke and UNC if they get someone that recruit the area.

Gary Williams was a hell of a "X's and O's" coach, though. His 2002 national title game was basically full of under-the radar players that he recruiting the "Gary Williams Way". UNC fans revered him because his teams always gave UNC fits even though the match-up on paper and talent discrepancy lent itself to a relative easy Tar Heel victory.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:03 AM   #9
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Great Coach, didn't dislike him as much as I dislike other ACC coaches as a Heels fan.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:39 AM   #10
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Next season is going to be harsh. No Gary Williams, no Jordan Williams and we might lose some recruits.

Farewell to Gary Williams
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:28 AM   #11
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackass18
Next season is going to be harsh. No Gary Williams, no Jordan Williams and we might lose some recruits.

Farewell to Gary Williams
Oh no doubt. But all the tools are there for them to immediately be a contender if they make the right hire. They're seriously a sleeping giant.

Seriously, can anyone tell me why Williams let so much talent get away? Is he THAT "clean?" Just not a good enough recruiter? Got too old, "couldn't relate?"
Old 05-06-2011, 03:52 PM   #12
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's a number of things like some of the kids wanting to leave the area and play out-of-state, Gary wanting more of the 4 year players and not get the guys who were probably going to leave early, and his unwillingness to 'play the game' (here's an article about that: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2009021102913).
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #13
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

That article just makes me respect him even more. One of the last of the old guard type, actually believed in being a STUDENT-athlete.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:22 PM   #14
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Looking a lot like Sean Miller's taking the job
Old 05-07-2011, 05:50 PM   #15
ukfan22
Great young streetballer

ukfan22 has decent reputation

Quote:
Looking a lot like Sean Miller's taking the job

I would be PISSED if I was a Zona fan. They are the kind of program that should only expect to lose their coach to a UK/UNC/Duke type. Especially after only two years.
ukfan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: