Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-16-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.

TEXAS BATMAN has decent reputationTEXAS BATMAN has decent reputation
Default OT: The 'N' Word

I'm watching an episode of the Real World (loving this season's cast by the way), and on this particular episode things get heated at a club behind a racial slur, and climax later at the house when a member of the house uses the same slur.

I feel like the word n*er is the most singularly disrespectful word in the english language. I've heard of arabs being called 'sand n*rs', and asians 'slant eyed n*rs'. In the South, lol, you'll hear it all. I made a reputation pretending to be a white guy posting and throwing the word around liberally. Quite frankly, n*a has become almost a cultural commodity. Hispanics, asians, caucasians, all use it it's not only exlusive to blacks anymore. I used to take offense to anybody outside of black saying it and got into countless confrontations behind it. Until a mentor told me trying to stop someone from saying it is a losing battle. Like trying to hold water with your hands. You might catch some of it but the majority of it will slip right through your fingers.

But as I'm watching this episode, this black guy and this white guy get into it, and the black guy calls him a fake nsync wannabe, might have threw a punk white boy into it and if he didn't he might as well have, but I figure that's just as equally racist. Which is why I don't even bother to get into the racial arguments on this board because the lines on this issue are too blurred.

Guess my point is, I don't take too much exception to the n*a expression. I've been around white chicks singin along to Lil Jon gettin crunk wit it and yellin it like it's nothing. White dude's calling each other n*a. And I shrug it off. Even kinda amuses me a lil bit. But then too there was a occassion when I got into a fight at this chick's house and she, who up until that time had been like a homegirl to me, even messed around with some of my aces, shouted "Get that n*r out of my house!" Which only made the situation worse. And I thought back to all the times she had used the other expression and I wondered if I had missed something.

Which brings me to I know a lot of the white and other ethnicities on this board listen to rap, so I know they're not rhyming to the songs pause at n*a then pick up where they left off. Jus expressin some thoughts.
TEXAS BATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #2
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

fake nsync wannabe is nowhere as degrading as n...

get real now.
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:50 PM   #3
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default ....

it is unfair for a black man to on one hand get pissed when anyone else says it but then has no problem saying it or with other blacks saying it.

in fact its not unfair, its just stupid.

you will never get through to racist folk if you have a double standard for sh!t like that. they use it as ammo in their biggoted arguments.

take them bullets away my brothas!

oh wait, i cant say that either cause im white.

kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
Knoe Itawl
Bringer of Light

Knoe Itawl has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentatm
it is unfair for a black man to on one hand get pissed when anyone else says it but then has no problem saying it or with other blacks saying it.

you will never get through to racist folk if you have a double standard for sh!t like that. they use it as ammo in their biggoted arguments.

I can't stand idiots who assume that every black person thinks it's ok for black people to use it.

I'm black and hate the word no matter who uses it.

I also think it's hypocritical for rappers to make songs they KNOW will be sung by white people and then say that white people shouldn't say it.

But most people just want to do whatever they f!Ck they want to do, without bothering to analyze what they're doing and why.
Knoe Itawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #5
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

You're white and want "fairness". The funny part of it all.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:55 PM   #6
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCL
fake nsync wannabe is nowhere as degrading as n...

get real now.

that's just some of what he said. and probably the mildest.

if the white guy would've said you 'ghetto fake ass 50 Cent' *ahem* I dont see the difference.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:58 PM   #7
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't ever like it when someone of any race starts droppin N bombs... Its unacceptable because of what it represents. I don't care what slang is out there, the word is all about deep hate and disrespect. I aint got no tolerance for that.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 04:59 PM   #8
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knoe Itawl
I also think it's hypocritical for rappers to make songs they KNOW will be sung by white people and then say that white people shouldn't say it.

Knoe surprises me sometimes. Rappers will get outraged if somebody calls them this in public.

Look at the crowds at their concerts and white kids are singing along to every word. Ironic
Old 12-16-2006, 05:01 PM   #9
hipballinjigga
Berkshire is the Woods

hipballinjigga has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAS BATMAN
I'm watching an episode of the Real World (loving this season's cast by the way), and on this particular episode things get heated at a club behind a racial slur, and climax later at the house when a member of the house uses the same slur.

I feel like the word n*er is the most singularly disrespectful word in the english language. I've heard of arabs being called 'sand n*rs', and asians 'slant eyed n*rs'. In the South, lol, you'll hear it all. I made a reputation pretending to be a white guy posting and throwing the word around liberally. Quite frankly, n*a has become almost a cultural commodity. Hispanics, asians, caucasians, all use it it's not only exlusive to blacks anymore. I used to take offense to anybody outside of black saying it and got into countless confrontations behind it. Until a mentor told me trying to stop someone from saying it is a losing battle. Like trying to hold water with your hands. You might catch some of it but the majority of it will slip right through your fingers.

But as I'm watching this episode, this black guy and this white guy get into it, and the black guy calls him a fake nsync wannabe, might have threw a punk white boy into it and if he didn't he might as well have, but I figure that's just as equally racist. Which is why I don't even bother to get into the racial arguments on this board because the lines on this issue are too blurred.

Guess my point is, I don't take too much exception to the n*a expression. I've been around white chicks singin along to Lil Jon gettin crunk wit it and yellin it like it's nothing. White dude's calling each other n*a. And I shrug it off. Even kinda amuses me a lil bit. But then too there was a occassion when I got into a fight at this chick's house and she, who up until that time had been like a homegirl to me, even messed around with some of my aces, shouted "Get that n*r out of my house!" Which only made the situation worse. And I thought back to all the times she had used the other expression and I wondered if I had missed something.

Which brings me to I know a lot of the white and other ethnicities on this board listen to rap, so I know they're not rhyming to the songs pause at n*a then pick up where they left off. Jus expressin some thoughts.

I agree that the use of the n-word as a racist term has been taken in the wrong context and direction. Growing up with a brother who is of african american decent (I am white), I have a greater understanding on how it can hurt their feelings.

What I am tired of is some african americans using it as a way out. This type of situation happened to me on December 6th. At my last job, I was an executive recruiter. My daily duties were to find potential job seekers who met certain criteria for jobs in which I was recruiting for. I would do this for several different companies. Our job is to get 8 people screened in a week. The highest anyone had screened in before I came was 15. Well, i was averaging 32 a week for a solid two months. Every day I was complimented and told how well I was doing.

This african american gentleman named Andre started to get jealous. Like any hard worker, he wanted to be the best. He ended up taking my success to heart and became very jealous and bitter. To retaliate for my success, he went to the human resource managers and claimed I called him the N-word and blackie. This led to me being put on probation and totally ignored (to my side of the story).

A day later the gentleman flipped out and went off on me for no reason. He left his chair and challenged me to a fight. What happened was, I was on the phone with my gf telling her that I loved her and had to talk to her about my crazy week. Andre spoke up and told me to "quit crying baby". I told him to mind his own business and leave me alone. He left his chair, screaming he was going to "f me up and kill me". The gentleman had to be pulled out of the room. I never left my seat.

They ended up firing me because he told them I said racial terms. It was an unfair termination and I am dealing with it through the legal process.

But this showed me how afraid and sensitive society is to the N-word. And how it can be used against another race as a scapegoat, and that upsets me.
hipballinjigga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:04 PM   #10
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I can't stand idiots who assume that every black person thinks it's ok for black people to use it.

hmm, did i say all blacks are that way? NO. if you dont want words put in your mouth don't do it to others.

Quote:
You're white and want "fairness". The funny part of it all.

excuse me for noting that a race other than whites do retarded things.

of course we get benifits others dont. that aint fair either. doesnt mean you cant work on yourselves too.

its like Chris Rock said, a black C student cant run a fast food joint while the white C student just happens to be the president.

fair? nope. do i agree nope. dont try and turn some crap on me just b/c ill call out other bs too.

i already have to put up with sh!t from racist jackassess in Texas that think im a piece of trash for hanging with blacks. anything you say is actually kinda funny b/c it just doesnt compare.
Old 12-16-2006, 05:13 PM   #11
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
excuse me for noting that a race other than whites do retarded things.

of course we get benifits others dont. that aint fair either. doesnt mean you cant work on yourselves too.

And you're saying nothing new. You're telling me nothing I dont know nor heard before. And here comes the problem. This is like one parent trying to tell another how to raise thier kids. Its not your place.

Worry about how you're gonna even the playing fields here. Make life fair since you acknowledge there is an advantage on your side. Dont worry about another and dont complain about "fairness". Take care of your side and convince them "Hey we arent being fair here" then we meet at the table together hopefully with each side having worked on themselves.

Until then? Miss me with the bullshyt.

Quote:
i already have to put up with sh!t from racist jackassess in Texas that think im a piece of trash for hanging with blacks. anything you say is actually kinda funny b/c it just doesnt compare.

Looks like you have your hands full as well trying to work on the racist jackasses on your side. Hey I'll work on the black folks using the n word, and you work on the racist, I dont wanna sit with black people/mingle with them, pickup truck driving with a chain in the back (whats that for?) motherphuckers.

Deal? Now thats fair.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:23 PM   #12
kentatm
NBA Legend

all im saying is the trash on my side sees that and uses it to their advantage. you cant tell me i cant complain about stuff on your side.

thats like saying blacks cant ***** about the bs whites do.

but whatev.

tis no big deal really.

i have tons of idiots to complain about anyway

like ths woman
Quote:
ATLANTA, Georgia (Reuters) -- Harry Potter fans in Gwinnett County, Georgia, can breathe a sigh of relief.

The Georgia department of education Thursday upheld a decision by the county board that would allow the wildly popular series by British author J.K. Rowling to remain in school libraries, Gwinnett school system spokesman Jorge Quintana said.

In October 2005, Laura Mallory, a mother with children at Gwinnett elementary schools, asked a local committee to ban the books about a young wizard, saying they were violent and promoted witchcraft.

The application was denied, so she appealed her case before different local and state officials. "At all levels the decision has been to keep the books on the shelves," Quintana told Reuters.

The state board decided the matter on a technicality, ruling that Gwinnett acted within its legal authority, according to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution Web site.

"I didn't do a good enough legal job because I didn't hire a lawyer," it quoted Mallory as saying. The newspaper said she could file an appeal with the state superior court.

yea, shes a dumbass whitey. go team!
Old 12-16-2006, 05:25 PM   #13
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.

I worked at a fast food joint when I was younger, and we had this real @$$hole of a supervisor, young white guy. Real yuppie, who was always on our case and showed preferential treatment to the white employees. He and this black employee get into it, I was there, almost to the point of blows, and when it comes back to the manager the black kid said he called him a n*r and the supe got terminated. Even though I seen the whole thing and the yup never said it, but the black kid did call him a h0 @$$ white bwoy which was brought up but done nothing about. I said nothing becuz 1 couldn't stand the guy, 2 f#@k it it didn't hurt my pockets any.

Thought it was funny that they took the black guy's word for it jus cuz they thought the white kid was racist, when the white dude said that the other guy called him a h a white bwoy. Priceless
Old 12-16-2006, 05:26 PM   #14
telephone
Banned

telephone has an OK reputation so far

It is almost like we are going backwords in terms of giving blacks a good reputation. First there was Martin luther king Jr. who was trying to earn civil rights for blacks and then the cosby show displaying that blacks are educated and progressing for the black people.

Today, there is the boondocks and if you have ever seen this show the N word st being thrown left and right and the kids and crap acting all uneducated and crap.

That is what i mean when undoing a process. Sorry if i communicated what im tryign to say in any racist way. I suck at being politically correct. I am not racist.
telephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 05:31 PM   #15
kentatm
NBA Legend

Quote:
Today, there is the boondocks and if you have ever seen this show the N word st being thrown left and right and the kids and crap acting all uneducated and crap.

do you not even pay attention to what that show is talking about? its actually dissing the type of people brought up in this thread.

watch the Return of the King episode or Gangstalicious episode.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: