Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-18-2006, 09:21 PM   #46
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAS BATMAN
If it was a white teacher, she'd be fired. No ifs ands or buts about it

Could you check your Private Messages?
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:30 PM   #47
Heilige
An Icon Forever

Thanks for answering TEXAS BATMAN. I sent you one more.
Heilige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:37 PM   #48
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heilige
Could you check your Private Messages?
XxNeXuSxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:00 PM   #49
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXAS BATMAN
everybody's favorite 'angry guy in gym who argues every call.'

you'd have to read the thread to understand

I skimmed over the thread must have missed it
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 10:16 PM   #50
telephone
Banned

but beside from the fact that a white teacher wouldnt say it what do you think of the black teacher that used the N word as an example?
telephone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:05 AM   #51
TEXAS BATMAN
Retired.

I don't believe the word has a place in the classroom period. Especially for someone who's supposed to be an example to the kids who's mental growth she's entrusted. You mentioned your class is majority not black. So what happens when they hear their teacher using it liberally as an example, and casually drop it in conversation of other blacks who might not be as understanding of the situation?

Results = Not Pretty
TEXAS BATMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:13 AM   #52
JtotheIzzo
Admlnlstrator

as a white person I would like all white people to stop whining about not using the N-word. It is hateful and historically wrong. Using it makes you insincere and it is totally unecessary for white people to utter it, regardless of how many black people use it freely now.
JtotheIzzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:15 AM   #53
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by JtotheIzzo
as a white person I would like all white people to stop whining about not using the N-word. It is hateful and historically wrong. Using it makes you insincere and it is totally unecessary for white people to utter it, regardless of how many black people use it freely now.

exactly.....

people need to use common sense some times.... I dont understand this need that white people have to use the word..

you cant say everything other people say....

I cant walk up to a bunch of Italians calling each other daegoes and join in "hey daegoes" they wouldnt appreciate that because they dont know me and we dont have that understandin or trust between each other to use certain words

you can call your sister a fat b*tch, but a stranger cant... and why would a stranger whine and complain over it? because he desperately wants to call your sister a fat b*tch too?

how silly does it sound saying "Well her brother calls her a fat b*tch, so why cant I?"

cmon now
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 12:33 PM   #54
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:

Black people get promotions white men deserve. Affirmative action hurts white men more than it helps black men or women.

The above falsehoods and other not-so-little white (male) lies were gutted recently by two studies that focused on minorities in the workplace.
The first light was shed by the bipartisan Glass Ceiling Commission report on corporate America's dismal record of advancing minorities to management and decision-making positions. The paper includes multiple examples of the biased policies many--but not all--white corporate officers employ to support their exclusionary and racist decisions. The commission was headed by U.S. Labor Secretary Robert Reich.

The results are stark. In 1992, white males, while making up only 43% of the total labor force at Fortune 1,000 Industrial and Fortune 500 Service
companies, were 97% of the senior-level decision-making managers. By contrast, only 0.6% were black, 0.4% Latino and 0.3% Asian.
The lack of corporate status translates into lower salaries as well. Black males with professional degrees earn only 79 cents for every dollar received by white males with the same credentials. And black women take home only 60 cents per dollar.

What are the disparities based on? The report concludes that many white males in hiring or supervisory positions are prejudiced against and believe
stereotypes about employees of a different race, gender or ethnicity. And some white employers and managers threaten legal action if a black person is hired or promoted above them. But, as a second study shows, these white males are unaware that their anger at black success is hollow.

Last March, in a Bureau of National Affairs Employment Discrimination Report, Rutgers law professor Alfred W. Blumrosen showed that a high proportion of reverse discrimination lawsuits lack merit.

After reviewing more than 3,000 discrimination opinions by federal district and appeals courts from 1990 to 1994, he found fewer than 100 reverse
discrimination cases. And reverse discrimination was established legally in only six cases, he notes.

The studies have serious implications for corporate America. Many CEOs have created affirmative action programs, acknowledging that corporate diversity strengthens their bottom line. But as the Glass Ceiling report shows, hiring black workers doesn't ensure equality of opportunity to rise up the corporate ranks.

Secondly, Blumrosen's analysis destroys anecdotal evidence used by some white males who claim that affirmative action hurts them. He found that these individuals often take positions based upon a false sense of white male superiority. The upshot, says Blumrosen, is that "many of the cases were the result of a disappointed [white male] applicant failing to examine their own qualifications and erroneously assuming that when a woman or minority got the job, it was because of race or sex, not qualifications."

basically shoots down this idea that Affirmative action is stealing jobs from white folks...

I am always confused when I hear how AA is giving jobs to unqualified workers when I dont see this mass influx of unqualified minority workers anywhere in the corporate workplace........

http://be-think.typepad.com/bethink/...kEntrGlssC.pdf

theres a bunch of studies also found here.... check them out

http://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.edu/glassceiling/
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: