Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 05-09-2011, 04:19 AM   #1
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

Default How good do you think we are next year?

Draft picks on the far right, question marks are possible draft picks/free agents.

Devin Harris / Earl Watson (?) / Jimmer| Brandon Knight (?)
Gordon Hayward / Raja Bell / Alec Burks (?)
Andrei Kirilenko (?) / CJ Miles (?) / Kawhi Leonard (?)
Paul Millsap / Derrick Favors / Vesley|Motiejunas (?)
Al Jefferson / Mehmet Okur / Biyombo (?)

I honestly think the Jazz should draft Jimmer/Knight and Alec Burks, and if that happens, I really think the Jazz can be back in the playoffs. If they resign AK, I think we can be a deadly team. How many wins do you think we can get with this roster?
UtahJazzFan88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #2
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Default Re: How good do you think we are next year?

20 wins might be an accomplishment. They're in sorry ass shape now. You need stars to win.
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:53 PM   #3
el gringos
Great college starter

kyle singler is waiting on the draft call right now- he and the stud from butler will make a killer 2/3 combo
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
20 wins might be an accomplishment. They're in sorry ass shape now. You need stars to win.

To win in the playoffs maybe, but Memphis and Denver, even Philly have shown you don't need all-stars to have a good season.

That roster is pretty stacked at making a run towards the playoffs again.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
To win in the playoffs maybe, but Memphis and Denver, even Philly have shown you don't need all-stars to have a good season.

Randolph and Gay aren't stars? Mayo looked like he was going to be a star too before he became the 3rd wheel not to mention one of the best centers in Gasol. They are loaded with young talent they just needed some vets like Battier and Allen. Denver did it for a short while with a coach that has always won. Can he do it for a full season? Remains to be seen. Philly did it in a weak conference with a proven coach.

Based on what we saw from the Jazz before the unproven Corbin took over and they traded away their superstar there is no reason to think the Jazz are anything but one of the worst teams in the league right now. If they can trade the bloated contracts of Jefferson, Okur, Harris and turn them and their picks into a star or 3 they are in trouble.

Quote:
That roster is pretty stacked at making a run towards the playoffs again.

In the east maybe. In the west? Stacked? Their guard line all shot below 42% in an offense that should be much more effective. Jefferson shot a low % too compared to those that have come before him and the guy playing next to him. They've got Millsap, a couple young guys and some picks to feel good about the rest of the orginization is a mess.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:54 AM   #6
UtahJazzFan88
Jazz Fan

Al Jefferson is a somewhat similar player than Zach Randolph, obviously Al isn't quite the player that Zach Randolph is, but Zach Randolph and Rudy Gay are really good players, but if you're going to throw the word "star" around, I really don't think they are.

When I think of star, I think of Dwight, Amare, Dirk, Carmelo, LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Chris Paul, Rose, Deron, etc.

Also, I really like OJ Mayo, but that was 3 years ago when he "looked" like an All-Star, he isn't right now, so basically your holding a double standard.

I can't believe you're going to say this team isn't at least a 40 win team, if we can stay healthy, we got a lot of valuable pieces starting AND on the bench. If Corbin can get the team to play defense I'll be pleased.

The guard line is going to be much improved if Gordon Hayward gets the starting job, I would be shocked if doesn't make a big improvement next year.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:27 AM   #7
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Al Jefferson is a somewhat similar player than Zach Randolph, obviously Al isn't quite the player that Zach Randolph is

He isn't the player Millsap is. That's the problem. Why did they get him?

Quote:
but Zach Randolph and Rudy Gay are really good players, but if you're going to throw the word "star" around, I really don't think they are.

20 pts(50 FG%/76%FT%) 12 rbds(4 off) 2 TO and a steal while leading his team to the 2nd round is an all-star.

20pts(47%/81%) a 3(40%), 6RBDS, 3 ass, 2 stls and a blk are all-star numbers in my book too. They're not getting paid the max for nothing.

Quote:
When I think of star, I think of Dwight, Amare, Dirk, Carmelo, LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Chris Paul, Rose, Deron, etc.

They're called superstars though Carmelo is just a scorer and highly overrated.

Quote:
I can't believe you're going to say this team isn't at least a 40 win team, if we can stay healthy, we got a lot of valuable pieces starting AND on the bench. If Corbin can get the team to play defense I'll be pleased.

A lot of big ifs there and still no stars. They looked like the worst team in the whole league at the end of the year. 40 wins a big step up from that. They don't have a head assistant not named Layden. They have a rookie assistant and head coach. A GM that talks more than he gets anything done. They have alot of PF's. No center. No starting 2 guard. AK possibly on the move.

Quote:
The guard line is going to be much improved if Gordon Hayward gets the starting job

Can he guard that position? He's still very young to be predicting a playoff position for them with him starting.

Quote:
I would be shocked if doesn't make a big improvement next year.

We'll see

Last edited by Xiao Yao You : 05-10-2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:55 AM   #8
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

I got no idea at the moment. Could be a 20 win season, could be a 40+ win season. At best I think they'll manage a 7-8 seed. If I was putting $ on it i'd say somewhere in between. Around 35 wins.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
DeronMillsap
Banned

Non-playoff or 7th/8th seed team.

We seriously need to upgrade our wings and guard positions. No athleticism at all in those area and a lot of good teams have that now.

I do want the Jefferson-Millsap-Favors trio to go a full season together. Hopefully, all three can somehow share enough minutes at the C and PF spots.
DeronMillsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:07 AM   #10
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

I'd rather see them get a real center and trade Jefferson and Okur.
Old 06-01-2011, 02:03 AM   #11
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Brian T. Smith: Jazz haven't made a decision about picking up Miles' option. Team will likely wait until last possible moment, due to a variety of factors. Twitter

Brian T. Smith: Players Jazz acquire with Nos. 3 and 12 picks in draft likely have no bearing on Miles' immediate future with Utah. Twitter
Old 06-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

http://basketball.realgm.com/article...erated_Rebuild

Quote:
Seven first or second team All-NBA players have come from the 2003 - 2005 drafts: LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh, Dwight Howard, Chris Paul and Deron Williams. In the last year, four have switched teams, and two more -- Paul and Howard -- could soon join them.
Quote:

Losing a franchise player, especially one acquired in the draft and beloved by the fans, is a gut-wrenching process. But by understanding why stars leave and pro-actively accelerating the rebuilding process, Utah is in a much better position than any of the other four franchises who lost one.

Remains to be seen. They had a star, now they have potential stars. Big difference.

Quote:
By the end of the 2010 season, after three straight playoff defeats to the Los Angeles Lakers, it was clear the Utah Jazz had reached their ceiling.

It was? It was clear that Deron needed help and Okur, Boozer and his replacement Jefferson weren't it.

Quote:
The resulting bounty was huge

Again that remains to be seen. How big could the bounty have been if they hadn't taken the 2nd offer from the one team that knew he was available though instead of shopping him to the highest bidder?

Quote:
as well as two lottery selections -- the Nets’ picks in 2010 (Derrick Favors) and 2011.

And GS pick next year.

Quote:
Utah is one of the NBA’s most promising young teams. They have four long-term starters on rookie deals who “fit” well together

Remains to be seen.

Quote:
Gordon Hayward, a 6’9 shooter

He grew?

Quote:
And with a strong core in place, they have the luxury of trading their three remaining veterans -- Harris, Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap -- to find complementary pieces.

Millsap is the ultimate complementary piece. You forgot Okur's expiring contract plus a possible sign and trade of AK.

Quote:
Utah understood that

Did they really understand? It's all about money in Utah. Winning is an after thought.

Quote:
Compare them with their division rival in Denver, who tried to reload instead of rebuild when dealing Carmelo Anthony. They were able to stay in the playoff picture, but now

Did they have much choice? Carmelo had them hand-tied. Again how much more could the Jazz have gotten if they had been as patient as Denver?

Quote:
As a result, the Nuggets are going to be stuck in the 5-8 playoff range the next few years while the Jazz eventually rocket past them, in much the same way as the Thunder did.

Remains to be seen. Nuggets have expiring contracts that could bring the star(s) they need to play with their young core.

Quote:
Just look at the situation in New Jersey: in a draft-night interview, Nets coach Avery Johnson cited Brook Lopez, Kris Humphries, Anthony Morrow, Jordan Williams and Marshon Brooks as the core they would build around Williams. This is the group supposed to convince a 27-year old in the prime of his career not to test free agency?

Lopez is better than Favors or Kanter until they prove otherwise. He's in the running for the 2nd best center in the league, especially with Deron there now.

Quote:
Deron Williams is the best player on either the Jazz or the Nets, but going forward, I’d rather have Utah’s roster than New Jersey’s.

I'd rather have Deron and an owner willing to do what it takes to win big.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 AM   #13
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

Jazz could have found themselves in the same position as Denver if they had of waited another year to trade Williams. While I do agree O'Connor should have shopped him more, the fact he got Favors and 2 high draft picks for him was a good deal for a team that needed to rebuild. Put them ahead of other rebuilding teams like Toronto (Cleveland lucked out with the Davis deal).

You can say Denver were patient, but they were still trying to resign Melo and were also in the situation where Melo had more power because if he didn't get traded where he wanted to, he wasn't going to resign, which lowered his trade value significantly. Nuggets lucked somewhat out because NY (Or Dolan at least) got anxious and threw the extra pieces at them, rather then playing hardball like that had earlier.

So you don't trade Williams for another year, then you're in a position where he's an upcoming FA and says he only wants an extension with teams X, Y or Z. You think they didnt get enough for him now, see what you'd get offered for him now. He was never going to resign, now they got Favors, Kanter (who seems genuinely excited to be playing in Utah) and whatever else they get from the GS pick.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 09:13 AM   #14
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Jazz could have found themselves in the same position as Denver if they had of waited another year to trade Williams.

Nobody's saying wait another year. They could have let other teams know to at least make NJ give up more which they certainly would have. It was a lot less than they were ready to give Denver for Carmelo and Deron is the better player regardless of the hype.

Quote:
Put them ahead of other rebuilding teams like Toronto (Cleveland lucked out with the Davis deal).

Maybe? Sounds like Toronto might have gotten the best player in the draft when all is said and done.

Quote:
(Cleveland lucked out with the Davis deal).

Being stuck with Baron isn't exactly what I call lucky.

Quote:
He was never going to resign

Depends on how the team was doing? He was traded when he was more because of the fact that he drove their beloved Sloan into retirement than his eventual free agency.,

Quote:
now they got Favors, Kanter (who seems genuinely excited to be playing in Utah) and whatever else they get from the GS pick.

And all the other high picks of their own they will get because they might suck for a long time. Next year is the best draft since 2003!!!
Old 06-29-2011, 12:08 AM   #15
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Jazz point guard Devin Harris wants to make it work in Utah. Despite being made available to teams during the 2011 NBA Draft, Harris sees the Jazz as an ideal long-term fit and wants to continue to build on what the rebuilding franchise started midway through the 2011-12 season. Salt Lake Tribune
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: