Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 05-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #16
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: L.A. Noire

Scores a 92 from Metacritic

Quote:
Amid the post-war boom of Hollywood's Golden Age, Cole Phelps, an LAPD detective is thrown headfirst into a city drowning in its own success. Corruption is rampant, the drug trade is exploding, and murder rates are at an all-time high. In his fight to climb the ranks and do what's right, Phelps must unravel the truth behind a string of arson attacks, racketeering conspiracies and brutal murders, battling the L.A. underworld and even members of his own department to uncover a secret that could shake the city to its rotten core. Using groundbreaking new animation technology that captures every nuance of an actor's facial performance in astonishing detail, L.A. Noire is a violent crime thriller that blends breathtaking action with true detective work to deliver an unprecedented interactive experience. Search for clues, chase down suspects and interrogate witnesses as you struggle to find the truth in a city where everyone has something to hide.…
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #17
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

pete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablepete's montreux is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

IGN's video review
Old 05-16-2011, 01:43 PM   #18
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Basically i hear....
1) Slower but more immersive than GTA.
2) Open World but not "anything goes". You can explore to your leisure but you can't run around and gun down hookers.
3) Repetitive mission structure for a lot of the game.
4) When it's not repetitive it's freaking super awesome.

From all the stuff i have perused about the games so far from reviews and people who have it...
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #19
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Game is getting glowing reviews. I may have to pick this up on release day to play with the GF. I think I can get her interested in a game like this.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:28 PM   #20
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Just got the shipment e-mail, should be here by the time I wake up.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:44 PM   #21
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Giantbomb.com review says PS3 version is better by a hair:

Quote:
Having spent a lot of time with both versions of L.A. Noire, the PlayStation 3 game is the clear-cut winner. Both versions of the game look fantastic, but there were a few instances of painful frame rate drops and objects drawing in too slowly on the Xbox that didn't exist on the PS3. Also, the shadows look a bit more jagged. This is splitting hairs since, both games look good enough that you should just get the one on the platform you prefer, though the PS3 also has the added benefit of being on a single disc to the Xbox's three, and includes an exclusive downloadable case (which I didn't get to try, and you probably won't be able to play either until the PlayStation Store is back online).
Old 05-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #22
SayTownRy
Regular Season Team

SayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat coolSayTownRy is considered somewhat cool

gamefly shipped this one out to me today (one of the only times they've got a new release out to me...)

hoping for something different from gta4 which i never really got into. didn't play RDR, but loved bully...

just wondering how much fun the interrogation and crime scene investigation gameplay is - gonna kinda make or break it for me as the rest (car chases, shootouts, quirky missions) sound like they've kinda been done before based upon reviews.
SayTownRy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #23
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Can someone tell me how so? There is an open world you can travel around in at your leisure, missions only available in that world, items to search for in that world, etc. How is this different than Red Dead Redemption? It's not like there were 20 open threads at any time, there were your missions you could do, it was linear. All their games are.

I keep hearing it's different and not "open world" but it sounds similar to me, I'm not sure why it's so different.

It might not be different in that aspect but GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption had multiplayer. Even if I dont do "game modes" within multiplayer there are free roam which is very popular with both games thanks to Rockstar. That to me gives a gamer more reason to go back to it.

LA Noire seems like Assasins Creed 2 where once you beat it? Thats it. There is no pull for you to go back and play it unless there were achievements you wanted to complete. Not sure if LA Noire keeps track of game completion so if you're one of those people who needs 100% then that is another reason for one to go back to it.

I'm going to wait for people to play it and listen to feedback. I'm pretty sure this game has alot of hours in story mode. So it'll keep people occupied but I like to feel some kind of replay value from a game.
GOBB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #24
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
It might not be different in that aspect but GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption had multiplayer. Even if I dont do "game modes" within multiplayer there are free roam which is very popular with both games thanks to Rockstar. That to me gives a gamer more reason to go back to it.

LA Noire seems like Assasins Creed 2 where once you beat it? Thats it. There is no pull for you to go back and play it unless there were achievements you wanted to complete. Not sure if LA Noire keeps track of game completion so if you're one of those people who needs 100% then that is another reason for one to go back to it.

I'm going to wait for people to play it and listen to feedback. I'm pretty sure this game has alot of hours in story mode. So it'll keep people occupied but I like to feel some kind of replay value from a game.

Watch the video review I posted. There's 21 assigned cases and 40 unnasigned cases that come to you as you progress through the game.

Now, I have no idea if you can go back to a case if you decide to skip one, but that's 60 cases. That's a lot of gameplay.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #25
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

And as I was writing that post it came in the mail.

aw shiiiiit
Old 05-17-2011, 01:10 PM   #26
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I pre-ordered it on BestBuy.com, which came with a unique in-game perk to Best Buy preorders.... and a $15 Best Buy gift card is being mailed to me as we speak.

I'll probably pick it up at my local Best Buy sometime this evening.

BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #27
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Ah what the f i have to update my system and i know that takes for f*cking ever
Old 05-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #28
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
And as I was writing that post it came in the mail.

aw shiiiiit

Never hate on the mail man again
Old 05-17-2011, 01:52 PM   #29
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
I pre-ordered it on BestBuy.com, which came with a unique in-game perk to Best Buy preorders.... and a $15 Best Buy gift card is being mailed to me as we speak.

I'll probably pick it up at my local Best Buy sometime this evening.

$15? Thought it was $10. Wow. I probably shouldve jumped on that deal.
Old 05-17-2011, 02:19 PM   #30
DeuceWallaces
I am your density

DeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDeuceWallaces is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I wish Rock* would put this and Red Dead out on PC even if I had to wait 6 months like with GTAIV.
DeuceWallaces is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: