Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Video Games Forum

Video Games Forum Video game forum - video games message board

Old 05-17-2011, 03:39 PM   #31
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Default Re: L.A. Noire

Jesus interrogations are hard.
pete's montreux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:51 PM   #32
heavensdevil
Michael Lee

Quote:
Jesus interrogations are hard.

how are they conducted?, and from your first impression, is this game worth buying?
heavensdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:53 PM   #33
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

First impressions:

The presentation is immaculate. Old timey Jazz throughout the screens really gives the crime noir feel. The audio is incredibly important and has to be paid attention to. When you come near an object to inspect the music gets loud or gets quieter. When you're interrogating a suspect, the music helps as well. It tells you whether or not what you just asked or inferred is correct or incorrect.

The details really stand out to me. The walking motion, especially up and down stairs is very fluid and natural. With other games when you receive and objective or a case in this instance, you don't just transform into your vehicle or anything like that, you're required to walk back to your car from inside of a building, and especially from the police station, which is very, very cool.

When you walk around a car, sometimes the computer takes over and does little nuances, like your character will look across the street. That seems pretty insignificant right now, but check it out in game. It's something that everyone does. They definitely got that right.

As far as action goes, fist-fighting is a lot of fun. You can block, throw combinations, and grapple. Driving the car takes some getting used to because the controls are super sensitive up to a point, you can turn very quickly but the car takes forever to do so, if that makes sense.

Obviously it has a lot of film nuances. Lots of sound effects like you're watching a Kubrick or Dario Argento film. The camera zooms in and out during cut-scenes like a movie would.

And yes, you really do need to pay attention to the faces. Not only that, but the eyes, the tone of voice, the facial expressions, how he moves his hands, etc.

It's the closest you could ever get to a real interrogation, because I paid attention and f*cked up the first one like 7 times in a row.

My only gripe so far is that the loading of the flash-backs is a bit slow and kind of interrupts the story. I wish it were a bit more fluid in that department. They leave you on a cliff-hanger and you're like waiting for the goddamn cut-scene to load.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #34
heavensdevil
Michael Lee

you on Playstation or x-box?
heavensdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #35
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensdevil
how are they conducted?, and from your first impression, is this game worth buying?

You're given three choices [truth, doubt, lie] and you choose which one after the suspect says something. You'll ask a question, he'll answer and you need to figure out if he's lying, or telling the truth, or if you doubt what he said. You can refer to your evidence book and hit him with facts to catch him in lies, or you can use a little help with "intuition", It's like a free token basically where it just helps you get to the next part automatically.

New clues are added during the interrogation as well if he says something, motives and such.

Well, let me just say that I've been playing for over an hour and have only done three out of 60 cases, working on my fourth right now. They get longer and more complex the further you get along. I'm really interested to see how long it takes to finish the entire game if you choose to take every side-case.

Honestly, the entire presentation makes you feel like you're in a movie. It's incredible. I wouldn't sit on it any longer. Go out and get it now.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #36
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

When you interrogate a person and mess up. What happens? Do you have to wait til time elaspes and go back to them. Or you keep interrogating a witness until you get it right? I wondered how that worked. You said you f*cked up 7 times. What did you end up doing each time you f*cked up you f*ckup. lol
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #37
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavensdevil
you on Playstation or x-box?

PS3
Old 05-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #38
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
When you interrogate a person and mess up. What happens? Do you have to wait til time elaspes and go back to them. Or you keep interrogating a witness until you get it right? I wondered how that worked.

You start from the beginning. It's really kind of a pain in the ass if you keep messing up, but hey, that's what you get I guess.

And this was only the first damn one, I can't imagine how hard they're gonna be when you're deep into the story.

No times elapses so far, you just kind of go back to the beginning. The cut-scene triggers again after you fail.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:04 PM   #39
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

One hour down, I think I'll take a break 'til tonight. I play better during the night.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #40
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Quote:
When you interrogate a person and mess up. What happens? Do you have to wait til time elaspes and go back to them. Or you keep interrogating a witness until you get it right? I wondered how that worked. You said you f*cked up 7 times. What did you end up doing each time you f*cked up you f*ckup. lol

lol didn't read the entire post, sorry

not 7 times, i was exaggerating, but you need to figure out when to use the intuition, because you'll refer to your evidence book and notice nothing in there really coincides with what he just said, so either make a decision [truth, doubt, lie] or use the intuition

if you mess up, the suspect will just tell you go to f*ck yourself [literally] and ask for his lawyer or whatever, so you leave the room, get yelled at and then the beginning cut-scene triggers and you start over
Old 05-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #41
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
$15? Thought it was $10. Wow. I probably shouldve jumped on that deal.

It was $10 for an in-store reservation, and I guess $15 for an online reservation as a Best Buy Rewards Member
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #42
pete's montreux
Blu Ray™ Savant

Amazon.com doesn't require anything to receive their $15 credit.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #43
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete's montreux
Amazon.com doesn't require anything to receive their $15 credit.

The rewards member program is free.... anywho its all moot at this point because the deals were for pre-ordering the game.
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:43 PM   #44
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I'm a rewards member too. What the hell.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:12 PM   #45
StateProperty
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I never play anything but sports games and Rockstar games.

I bought it earlier today, I'll probably start it after the Phils game tonight. Sounds great.
StateProperty is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: