Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #1
Permodius
I airball my layups

Permodius has an OK reputation so far
Default Help me with my jump shot(Video inside).

I am so inconsistent. Sometimes everything feels right and all my shots will go in the entire day, other times I will be bricking every shot. I used to be very consistent and great at shooting until I messed up my ankle and stopped playing for 2 months. When I returned I still wasn't able to jump without pain, so this entirely changed my form and turned me to a flat-footed jump shooter(Also made me change my form). Once I was fully healed I forgot how I used to shoot prior to the injury, this made me experiment with several different shooting forms. I then decided to just look up the textbook jump shot form and try to replicate it as much as possible.

My main problem right now is that my right knee buckles when shooting, this throws off my balance. It is a habit I developed after messing my right ankle up, and now no matter what I can't stop doing it! I don't know how to stop. I try to bend by knees slowly, and look down. If my knee buckles then I try it again. But no matter what, when I go back to shooting regularly this always happens to my right knee. You can see it happening in the beginning of the video. Also if there is anything else about my form I can fix then please tell me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1mT5qRuvIc
Permodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #2
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Help me with my jump shot(Video inside).

Really not a bad shot. I mean, I've seen a lot worse on this site. You seemed to diagnose one of your own primary issues (you're not jumping much).

1. I would suggest consciously seeking a lower base. It can be more effective to be low before you shoot, only to spring upward. As opposed to being straight up, bending down, then extending back up.

2. You seem to have a little "Kevin Martin-ish" type of release. It could work. It works for Martin. But it seems you have the ball sort of low from the early stages of your shooting process.

3. I think your feet could be a little more square to the rim. They're not horribly skewed, but sometimes even a marginally crooked base is enough to throw everything off. If you pause your video as your feet are set for your first shot, it appears your feet are squared to the basket off into the distance while your upper torso is squared to the basket closest to you. As I always say, simplify the process. If the feet are always square, then your body's going to be completely straight and it's one less thing to worry about adjusting.

I'll give this another look later. I do not have time to go much more in depth. It's a solid base. And I don't have a doubt you were a solid shooter pre-injury.

Edit:

The more I watch, the more I become convinced you may really benefit from a lower base. The lack of power coming from your legs means your arms have to make up that power shortage by doing most of the work themselves. In truth, using your legs to their maximum ability (while squared to the basket) is going to create an effortless shot for you.

I say mindfully attempt a few shots as you rise from a low dribble with your knees bent. See how that feels. You should be able to feel a night and day difference in terms of the arm strength required to knock down your J with accuracy.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 05-12-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #3
DWade06
Banned

DWade06 has an OK reputation so far

It looks like you have the basic form down but it can use some tweaking. Some times there are free classes at the local Y or park that teach shooting. I suggest that you use your legs a little more. It looks like your using too much upper body. and you also look a bit stiff. best thing to do is just keep practicing
DWade06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #4
Permodius
I airball my layups

Permodius has an OK reputation so far

Thank you guys. I really appreciate the deep and insightful replies. Can't wait to try out the things you guys told me tomorrow.
Permodius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #5
KokoWarzone
Can barely lace up my sneakers

KokoWarzone has an OK reputation so far

seems like you're shot is the almost the same as mine. i dont bend my knees i guess that's my problem in my shooting form. and i jump but do not bend my knees i hope you guys can understand what im saying it's kinda hard to explain.
KokoWarzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:47 AM   #6
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

NotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputationNotYetGreat has a terrific reputation

^ Yup. I think you guys really need to train yourselves to get just a little more power from your legs though. It's actually easier for your arms to go astray and misalign your shots due to it forcing itself to compensate for the lack of power that would usually come from your legs. And I agree with Rake on having a lower base. For one, it's much easier to get more power as opposed to making your jump from a near standing position. You also might want to try setting your release point a bit higher. The natural tendency when shooting is to push the ball upwards, which is really how it's supposed to be. At the position you usually release the ball, it's a bit too in front of your face and low, which would usually result in a line drive type of arc. And also try to be as smooth. From watching, I noticed you kinda have a small hitch in your shot, which is really really tiny, but it could still kill some of the momentum/power you get from your lower body. Least you still seem to have that shooter's touch, man. I saw swishes. G'luck man!
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:06 AM   #7
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

One thing I'd suggest that may be helpful would be partner shooting. There's a weird tendency when shooting around alone to treat it as an overly casual affair. We pop a J, wander to the rebound, lolly back out to the wing, shoot another flat-footed J, so on and so forth.

To help get into a game-like groove, it can be beneficial to have a friend shoot with you. What I do, most often with my 9th grade brother, is we have one person shoot, get his own rebound, then pass to the next shooter - who should be spotting up in his low shooting pocket. The waiting shooter should be in game position each time (knees low, hands up, feet square). We'll count our way up to 50 or 100 makes then take a free throw break and maybe change things up a little for the next set (maybe practice catching off the move and squaring low).

In the absence of a shooting partner, it can work to utilize chairs, trash cans, or virtually anything that can provide something solid for you to avoid or manipulate. I have noticed a lot of shooting problems stem from players becoming too accustomed to the chilled "Ah, I'm just warmin' up" shots. To improve the J, it'll be beneficial to simulate a game situation whenever possible and for me that means curling around chairs or working my way around imaginary defenders.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:07 AM   #8
KokoWarzone
Can barely lace up my sneakers

KokoWarzone has an OK reputation so far

dude rake2204 and not yet great are right. i bend my knees and use leg powers and i test it on practice and i swish 3 or 4 shots not consecutively though. but it works. but in three point line i swish 3 3point shots but then after that it's bricks because my legs and knees are tired. but this thing works like a beauty! i almost won the game on a 1on1 game. but the freaking shot just roll out of the ring and i "facepalm" and ended up losing the game but knowing i do all what i can and try the best i can be. im not frustrated though.
KokoWarzone is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: