Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 05-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation
Default Maryland welcomes new coach Mark Turgeon

The AP reports:

Turgeon, 46, compiled a 97-40 record at Texas A&M and took the team to the NCAA tournament in each of his four seasons at the school. He learned last Thursday that he might be a candidate for the Maryland job, but that didn’t stop him from leaving on a camping trip Friday.

Turgeon couldn’t get cell reception until Sunday, and that’s when Anderson called to set up a meeting in a Pittsburgh hotel. With Anderson in jeans and a scruffy Turgeon wearing a Kansas City Chiefs shirt over his Texas A&M shirt, the two talked about the future of the basketball program.

“When he left the meeting, I knew it was my job to take or leave,” Turgeon said.

It was too good to turn down. Less than 24 hours, Turgeon became part of a group that includes such names as Lefty Driesell, Len Elmore, Tom McMillen, John Lucas, Walt Williams, and, of course, Gary Williams.
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 12:22 AM   #2
Hawker
Banned

Hawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation hereHawker has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Maryland welcomes new coach Mark Turgeon

Thanks for leaving asshole.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 02:14 AM   #3
HB40TheNextStar
More like Matt Boner

HB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected posterHB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected posterHB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected poster

The ACC is not getting the hires they need.

K and Roy are gone within this decade for sure. I don't doubt that both programs will continue some of their success when those two leave. Carolina has through McGuire and Coach Smith, and dook has built something that just won't go away no matter how many times you smack it, pop it, and flush it.

However, there is a chance that they might not hire the right coach to keep up the "every year we are competing" expectations. There's maybe 4-5 coaches in the entire country that is doing that now on a proven level. Two of whom, reside at either dook or Carolina, and two others are too old to change schools now. The other is just dirty.

Makes you wonder what the, already faltering, ACC will look like if the two programs carrying the conference decline even a just a little. Especially with the Big East getting the massive hype train from ESPN and now the Pac-50000 is trying to make a push. Although, it doesn't matter how many teams and how big of a tv contract you have if you consistently underachieve all the time. Well wait, I guess Big Ten football is proving me wrong.

All I'm saying is that with Maryland's recruiting base and relative national prestige, they really could have hired someone to make this a big 3 conference for the future.

Also I know Miller and Dixon and Brey turned the job down. The latter two wouldn't have even been that good of hires with the way they choke in the NCAA's. Still, there had to be someone better out there.

To get the record straight, I like Turgeon. Especially if he had gone to a school like Miami or BC. Not so much for the few remaining programs which can make a splash in the national spotlight almost immediately. Needed a big name or a coach with large potential. Maybe I'm wrong about him and I hope I am. Doubt it.
HB40TheNextStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 11:47 AM   #4
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

They're losing recruits because of the coaching change:

The Baltimore Sun reports:

One day after Maryland introduced Mark Turgeon as its new men's basketball coach, the Terps' 2011 recruiting class dwindled from three members to zero.

City shooting guard Nick Faust and Seton Hall Prep (N.J.) point guard Sterling Gibbs both said Thursday that they were granted releases from their letters of intent. Maryland’s third class of 2011 signee, German forward Martin Breunig, requested to be released from his letter of intent Wednesday, according to InsideMDSports.com.

Faust said Thursday he has considered reopening his recruitment “ever since Gary [Williams] retired. Me and my parents have just been talking to see what the best fit is, basically just going to make the right decision and [figure out] where I want to go from here.”
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #5
HisJoeness
ISH's Best Looking

HisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation hereHisJoeness has an incredible reputation here

Fortunately, Faust will honor his LOI. Breunig was a big loss because we're going to be thin upfront. Noy looking good for keeping Class of 2012 stud wingJustin Anderson.

But at the end of the day Turgeon has put together one of the better recruiting staffs in the nation. Things are looking bright for the UMD basketball program.
HisJoeness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisJoeness
Fortunately, Faust will honor his LOI. Breunig was a big loss because we're going to be thin upfront. Noy looking good for keeping Class of 2012 stud wingJustin Anderson.

But at the end of the day Turgeon has put together one of the better recruiting staffs in the nation. Things are looking bright for the UMD basketball program.
This area has a lot of talent, but I do think people are overestimating the success they'll achieve locally.

How can Turgeon recruit Baltimore City with such a major issue with guys getting their grades right. Its a real issue with City schools preparing people for college anyways, but when guys have that D1 talent they usually end up having to do a prep year or JuCo 2 years in order to get eligible. They know what they need to do if they want to make their basketball dream a reality, but so many dont put enough work in.

Basically Turgeon/Ransom will be recruiting kids for the following class each year as they prep. People criticized Gary for his lack of recruiting for top kids in Baltimore, but what is often overlooked is he didnt want to deal with the issues that came along with it. He always seemed to be in on the guys from the area who had the talent as well as the grades & character to play for UMD. Mostly these were Catholic school kids or guys from the suburbs not from off of Edmondson.

Instead they needed to focus more on guys outside of this area. Get more kids from places like Florida, New York, Virginia & even California interested in coming to a place like Maryland.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:18 AM   #7
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Didn't Turgeron just steal K-State's lead recruiter? The guy that recruited Beasley out of Baltimore to friggin Manhattan, KS. Yes, I know there's some shady stuff about K-State hiring Beasley's AAU coach or something, but clearly the guy has local ties.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: