Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-15-2011, 08:11 PM   #1
spursrule
Decent playground baller

spursrule is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Phoenix Suns president Rick Welts admits he is gay

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/16/sp...he-is-gay.html

Last month, in a Midtown office adorned with sports memorabilia, two longtime friends met for a private talk. David Stern, the commissioner of the National Basketball Association, sipped his morning coffee, expecting to be asked for career advice. Across from him sat Rick Welts, the president and chief executive of the Phoenix Suns, who had come to New York not to discuss careers, but to say, finally, I am gay.

In many work environments, this would qualify as a so-what moment. But until now, Mr. Welts, 58, who has spent 40 years in sports, rising from ball boy to N.B.A. executive to team president, had not felt comfortable enough in his chosen field to be open about his sexuality. His eyes welling at times, he also said that he planned to go public.

By this point, Mr. Welts had already traveled to Seattle to share his news with another friend, Bill Russell, one of the greatest basketball players ever and the recent recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom. He had also met with Val Ackerman, the founding president of the Women’s National Basketball Association, in New York, and would soon be lunching in Phoenix with Steve Nash, the point guard and leader of the Suns and twice the N.B.A.’s most valuable player

Last edited by insidehoops : 05-15-2011 at 08:28 PM.
spursrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:47 PM   #2
Killer_Instinct
And Another One

Killer_Instinct has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Phoenix Suns president Rick Welts admits he is gay

That explains the uniforms.
Killer_Instinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
HB40TheNextStar
More like Matt Boner

HB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected posterHB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected posterHB40TheNextStar is a pretty well-respected poster

He's hot.

/No homo.
HB40TheNextStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #4
DStebb716
Phil of the Future

DStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Cowherd
Why did Rick Welts make this choice to be gay?

Not a choice my man. I'm glad he came out. I wish that gay athletes would come out and support gay marriage. It's no better than racism for gay marriage to be illegal. If you think otherwise, then think before you go on some internet tirade. WHAT is the different? It's taking a right away from a group of people based on something they can't control. You could attempt to force yourself to be straight, but nobody should have to do that.
DStebb716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:08 PM   #5
Styles p
NBA rookie of the year

Styles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterStyles p is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

the phoenix rainbows.
Styles p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
KelticForce1349
Chicago Bulls fan.

KelticForce1349 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKelticForce1349 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKelticForce1349 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKelticForce1349 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKelticForce1349 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKelticForce1349 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKelticForce1349 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKelticForce1349 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DStebb716
Not a choice my man. I'm glad he came out. I wish that gay athletes would come out and support gay marriage. It's no better than racism for gay marriage to be illegal. If you think otherwise, then think before you go on some internet tirade. WHAT is the different? It's taking a right away from a group of people based on something they can't control. You could attempt to force yourself to be straight, but nobody should have to do that.

Nice post.
KelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #7
Christofire
Banned

Christofire has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by spursrule
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/16/sp...he-is-gay.html

Last month, in a Midtown office adorned with sports memorabilia, two longtime friends met for a private talk. David Stern, the commissioner of the National Basketball Association, sipped his morning coffee, expecting to be asked for career advice. Across from him sat Rick Welts, the president and chief executive of the Phoenix Suns, who had come to New York not to discuss careers, but to say, finally, I am gay.

In many work environments, this would qualify as a so-what moment. But until now, Mr. Welts, 58, who has spent 40 years in sports, rising from ball boy to N.B.A. executive to team president, had not felt comfortable enough in his chosen field to be open about his sexuality. His eyes welling at times, he also said that he planned to go public.

By this point, Mr. Welts had already traveled to Seattle to share his news with another friend, Bill Russell, one of the greatest basketball players ever and the recent recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom. He had also met with Val Ackerman, the founding president of the Womenís National Basketball Association, in New York, and would soon be lunching in Phoenix with Steve Nash, the point guard and leader of the Suns and twice the N.B.A.ís most valuable player

who Cares if he's gay
Christofire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:32 PM   #8
FourthTenor
Banned

FourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation hereFourthTenor has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:

Actually everyone IS allowed to enter into a legal martial contract. Everyone.

The law is applied the same way to all.

Just sayin.
FourthTenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #9
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Quote:

1. Gay marriage is an oxymoron.
2. Science is 100% people are born different races, science has not categorically proven people are born gay. Except for gay scientists and their own studies.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:37 PM   #10
KelticForce1349
Chicago Bulls fan.

KelticForce1349 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKelticForce1349 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKelticForce1349 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKelticForce1349 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKelticForce1349 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKelticForce1349 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKelticForce1349 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKelticForce1349 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
2. Science is 100% people are born different races, science has not categorically proven people are born gay. Except for gay scientists and their own studies.

lol. Simple question: did you choose to be straight?

Bonus question: Can you tell everyone why you believe someone would choose to be gay?
KelticForce1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #11
DStebb716
Phil of the Future

DStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this boardDStebb716 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train

Science has proven the being gay is not a choice, it's always just pushed aside by religious fools who act like they follow their religion but really don't (instead they just pick and choose what they want to believe).
Old 05-15-2011, 09:38 PM   #12
DStebb716
Phil of the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelticForce1349

Bonus question: Can you tell everyone why you believe someone would choose to be gay?

Thank you.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
DStebb716
Phil of the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourthTenor
Actually everyone IS allowed to enter into a legal martial contract. Everyone.

The law is applied the same way to all.

Just sayin.

No they aren't. Not gay people. That's like saying well EVERYBODY is allowed to vote, just as long as you are born white (when minorities were not allowed to vote).
Old 05-15-2011, 09:43 PM   #14
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star

G-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation hereG-train has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelticForce1349

I believe I was born straight like everyone else.
I also believe some people are born with some traits that when combined with particular environments can foster homosexuality.

*waits for animals are gay argument*
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #15
spursrule
Decent playground baller

spursrule is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christofire
who Cares if he's gay

Well, if you read the article, not admitting he was gay cost him a long term relationship because as such a public figure, his partner never went to any events, etc.

I don't know. I have been married for 12 years and I can't imagine not going to certain events, christmas parties, cause of shame or something. And I bet he gets to go to some cool parties.
spursrule is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: