Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-16-2011, 02:24 AM   #16
Richesly
Atlanta Hawk Fan

Default Re: Who ends up with Rudy Gay this offseason?

Hawks. Either he signs a mid level exception contract or we trade Marvin For Rudy Gay. Lets get it.
Richesly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:33 AM   #17
kumquat
College superstar

I think they would be dumb to trade away Rudy. Fair enough if they don't go well in next years playoffs, but when you get knocked out, you look for the player to get you the extra step. Why not keep Rudy. It's not as if they can't re-sign Gasol.
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:52 AM   #18
AMISTILLILL
Banned

Dude isn't going anywhere. They went 7 games in the second round without him and would have competed even harder with him in the lineup. Whether or not they trade him by the deadline next season is another story.
AMISTILLILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:16 AM   #19
Sterlingsucks
French Toast Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
I read today about a couple rumors that if Marc Gasol re-signs with Memphis they will likely shop Rudy Gay as they almost got to the WCF without him. Who do you think will get him? Will Memphis even trade him? I really wanted the Clips to go after him last offseason and hope they do it this offseason. Think he would be a great fit.
How is he a great fit in LA? Who would we give up? He is a chucker, and a black hole when the ball is in his hands...we need ball movement in CLipperland
Sterlingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:53 AM   #20
gutshot
Kids at the park dunk on me

Olympiakos
gutshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:23 PM   #21
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

They may not trade Rudy Gay away this offseason but come trade deadline they may consider it if they dont like the direction of the team with him. And feel there is a piece or two that fits better. If I'm Memphis I wouldnt make a knee jerk reaction to move him right away. Atleast get everyone back for next season on a high and see where it goes. There could be an offer where they feel it puts them over the top. Who knows.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #22
jbryan1984
Good college starter

It would be very dumb for Memphis to trade him. They had a big rally last summer when they resigned him, they made it to 7 games in the 2nd round without him playing 1 playoff game. All reasons to keep the guy around. If anyone goes I would imagine it would be Mayo seeing as they tried to trade him already.
jbryan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:34 PM   #23
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

He ends up where he is now. In Memphis. They won't trade him and they owe to themselves and the city to see how well they do with him in the lineup now that they came together like this at the end of the season. Hard to imagine him hurting things.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:36 PM   #24
alenleomessi
GloryhunterSinceThe90s

Hopefully not with the Clippers
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #25
b0bab0i
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
I think its pretty obvious with today's big announcement, that Gay ends up in Phoenix.
b0bab0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:04 PM   #26
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

I say keep him at least for the year. They played very well without him, this is true. But he is a very good scorer, with 3 point range. You have to at least see what the Grizzlies can become with him and with the development of the rest of the team with this playoff run. I think this playoff stint has at least defined Zach as the franchise player and the best player on the team. Marc Gasol was nice this post season, but I see him as a 3rd option rather than a 2nd option. The pecking order would go Zach, Gay, and then Gasol. This provides a very solid combo of 2 bigs and a wing scorer.

On paper this looks like a great squad, but the Grizzlies success had a lot to do with the team chemistry, so certainly incorporating Gay once again is going to be a process. But I would go ahead and try to see what the team is made of with him. Tony Allen and Shane Battier stepped up in his injury, but Gay is the better player. And Battier may or may not even be back next year.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:39 PM   #27
AAckley1
Decent playground baller

Honestly, the Grizzles are soon going to run into the problem of too many guys wanting too many minutes.

Not only do they have Rudy Gay coming back, they have Xavier Henry, who is only going to want & need more playing time as he develops.
AAckley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #28
fatboy11
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by AAckley1
Honestly, the Grizzles are soon going to run into the problem of too many guys wanting too many minutes.

Not only do they have Rudy Gay coming back, they have Xavier Henry, who is only going to want & need more playing time as he develops.

You can easily get rid of Xavier Henry. They honestly don't need him right now. Their wing rotation appears to be set with Gay, Mayo, Allen, Battier and Young. There's no room for guy that far away from contributing. They should trade him and see if they can get another big for him.
fatboy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:05 PM   #29
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

A better thread title would have been: "Who gets Gay this offseason?"
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:16 PM   #30
SinJackal
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker
They won't trade away Gay. That would be a dumb mindset: We went far without him, lets trade him.

It's more an issue of not being able to afford Randolph, Gasol, and Gay's large 4-5 year contracts all at the same time. Memphis isn't Chicago, or LA, or NY, or Boston. . .they don't generate enough revenue to be a large salary team for years and still retain their precious profit.

Adding Rudy Gay to the team should obviously make them better, but can they afford it? If you have to choose between keeping Gay and losing Gasol, or keeping Gasol and trading Gay for a one year rental and some young talent or picks, it might be better to keep Gasol and trade Gay.
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: