Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Oklahoma City Thunder Forum

Oklahoma City Thunder Forum Oklahoma City Thunder forum - OKC Thunder message board

Old 05-16-2011, 04:45 PM   #46
thomaspynchon
Banned

thomaspynchon has not been impressing people
Default Re: 2011 Western Conference Finals Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs Oklahoma City Thunder

Marion is going to lock up Durant. I find it very amusing that people think the Mavs have "no one to guard Durant" considering Dallas has locked up every elite swingman this season.

If you actually watched the games this season, Durant basically stat padded at the end of each game (and rather shamelessly, may I add) to get his FG % to around 50%
thomaspynchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:57 PM   #47
28renyoy
Banned

28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board
Default Re: 2011 Western Conference Finals Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs Oklahoma City Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspynchon
Marion is going to lock up Durant. I find it very amusing that people think the Mavs have "no one to guard Durant" considering Dallas has locked up every elite swingman this season.

If you actually watched the games this season, Durant basically stat padded at the end of each game (and rather shamelessly, may I add) to get his FG % to around 50%

what a joke

What were Durant's averages were Dallas this year? He destroyed them
28renyoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #48
ThaSwagg3r

Durant has a better chance defending Dirk than Dirk has defending Durant. I like OKC in 6 in this series. Westbrook is going to have to really burn Kidd though, which he is definitely capable of. Kidd does not have the quickness or athleticism what so ever to guard Westbrook at this point of his career.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #49
Texas Chili Dog
Can barely lace up my sneakers

Texas Chili Dog has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaSwagg3r
Durant has a better chance defending Dirk than Dirk has defending Durant. I like OKC in 6 in this series. Westbrook is going to have to really burn Kidd though, which he is definitely capable of. Kidd does not have the quickness or athleticism what so ever to guard Westbrook at this point of his career.

Which makes it even more likely Dallas will win the series. Why would OKC even want to put Durant on Dirk and get him in foul trouble?
Texas Chili Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #50
28renyoy
Banned

28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board28renyoy has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Chili Dog
Which makes it even more likely Dallas will win the series. Why would OKC even want to put Durant on Dirk and get him in foul trouble?

Dirk would be crossed onto Durant on the other end of the court and Durant would wear him down.
28renyoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:21 PM   #51
Texas Chili Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 28renyoy
Dirk would be crossed onto Durant on the other end of the court and Durant would wear him down.

No way is Dirk ever going to guard Durant with the exception of a play or two here or there because he has to on a switch. If Dirk gets "worn down" () it won't be because he was busy chasing Durant around.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:30 PM   #52
kentatm
NBA Legend

kentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekentatm is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

what a joke

while I don't think he will lock Durant down, I do believe Marion will give Durant some trouble.

One thing I will say with certainty is that looking at Durant's averages vs Dallas this year do not really tell us anything.

All three of the games were played early in the season.

In game one, Butler was the starting SF and took Durant the majority of the game. On top of that, Marion played backup PF for long stretches next to Butler reducing chances to guard Durant even more.

In game two, Dirk hurt his knee about 12 minutes into the game forcing Marion to play the rest of the game as a PF.

In game three, both Dirk and Butler were out and Marion played nearly the entire game at PF with Stevenson mostly doing the defensive work which is not ideal considering he is only 6'5.

They will probably double him hard quite a bit along with some zone to try and goad Westbrook into dominating the ball with jumpers.

BTW, from DailyThunder.com
Quote:
SF: Clearly Kevin Durant has an advantage over Shawn Marion, but The Matrix has a pretty solid history of defending KD well. Marion has long arms and while he’s not going to bully Durant near as much as Shane Battier or Tony Allen, he is going to do well at keeping KD out of the paint. However, Butler had the task of checking KD most of the time. According to Synergy Sports, Marion defended Durant on only nine of the 48 shot attempts KD took in half-court sets.

Last edited by kentatm : 05-16-2011 at 05:35 PM.
kentatm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #53
NastaMaverick
College superstar

NastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNastaMaverick is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Mavs take this in 5, maybe 6
NastaMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:17 PM   #54
thomaspynchon
Banned

thomaspynchon has not been impressing people

Quote:

what a joke

Not at all. If you actually watched the games, durant was like 7-17 and then in the last minute he went in for three uncontested dunks.

I'll say it again: shawn marion is going to hold durant to sub 40% shooting. People didn't believe my predictions this last series and they won't believe me again until they see it.

Marion is equally as long, much more athletic, much quicker, and stronger than Durant. he will hold Durant to a mediocre series.
thomaspynchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #55
Arti
I hit open layups

Arti has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Durant guarding Dirk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
Isn't there some youtube video out there where Durant said Dirk is easily the hardest player for him to guard in the NBA? I know it's been posted on here before.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR68Wn2XIOI

"Toughest cover in the league." - KD on Dirk

But the Mavs can't easily contain KD either. That's what makes these guys superstars. People also make the mistake of assuming that everything is 1-on-1, when team defense is more important than individual defense in reality. That being said, Marion and Brewer are both solid defenders who will probably see time on KD.

Last edited by Arti : 05-16-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Arti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #56
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence

Cowboy Thunder has an OK reputation so far
Smile Re: 2011 Western Conference Finals Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs Oklahoma City Thunder

Gonna be a great battle and hopefully the start of a new rivalry.
Cowboy Thunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #57
Cowboy Thunder
2012 I rep flatulence

Cowboy Thunder has an OK reputation so far
Talking Re: 2011 Western Conference Finals Preview: Dallas Mavericks vs Oklahoma City Thunder

Cowboy Thunder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 09:33 PM   #58
lebeast666
I Do This

lebeast666 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Definately Dallas taking this in 6.

lebeast666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #59
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

Series preview: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7690
insidehoops is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:56 PM   #60
Texas Chili Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops

Just a heads up, from the preview:

Quote:
The Mavericks have been here before. During the Dirk Nowitzki era, Dallas has reached the WCF in 2003 and 2006, both against the Spurs.

Spurs in 2003, but Suns in 2006.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: