Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > College and High School Basketball Forum

College and High School Basketball Forum College basketball message board, high school basketball message board

Old 05-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
insidehoops
Administrator

Default UNC basketball signee P.J. Hairston: Duke 'couldn't spell my name right'

The Greensboro New Herald reports:

P.J. Hairston said he seriously considered committing to Florida, Georgetown, Wake Forest and “I hope people don’t hate me when I say this, but Duke” before signing with North Carolina. The field was narrowed once the Greensboro native and former Dudley star determined it was important for him to stay close to home. A recurring mistake helped him decide. “The thing about Duke was, every time they sent me a letter, they wouldn’t spell my name right,” Hairston said. “They would have ‘T.J. Harrison’ or something like that. And I’m like, ‘OK. How can I go here? You can’t even spell my name right.’ It’s only two letters and HAIR and STON. I’m trying to figure out how that’s so hard.”
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:35 PM   #2
irondarts

Default Duke can't Spell Top Recruits Name Correctly, So He Chooses UNC

Quote:
Duke vs. UNC: P.J. Hairston, a coveted recruit in the class of 2011, picked UNC over Duke, Georgetown and other schools, but one of the main reasons he passed on the Blue Devils is why this story will get picked up. Said Hairston: “The thing about Duke was, every time they sent me a letter, they wouldn’t spell my name right. They would have ‘T.J. Harrison’ or something like that. And I’m like, ‘OK. How can I go here? You can’t even spell my name right.’ It’s only two letters and HAIR and STON. I’m trying to figure out how that’s so hard.” The timing of this is perfect: I’ll be updating our 2011-2012 college basketball Top 20 later today.

He's the 13th best prospect in the country according to Rivals.

http://thebiglead.com/index.php/2011...-he-picks-unc/
irondarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:09 AM   #3
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

Default Re: Duke can't Spell Top Recruits Name Correctly, So He Chooses UNC

13th prospect according to rivals and he'll be close to the 13th man for UNC this year (sarcasm) but he will not be a starter, and likely see only a handful of minutes despite being a epic stud, and the best shooter on the team IMO.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:39 PM   #4
bballer
Orioles/Tarheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseketball4life
13th prospect according to rivals and he'll be close to the 13th man for UNC this year (sarcasm) but he will not be a starter, and likely see only a handful of minutes despite being a epic stud, and the best shooter on the team IMO.
he is good, not great.

His team, Hargrave Prep (holy *** they were good) played against my high school this year (i graduated last year). He wasn't the best player on his team that game. It was that Barksdale kid going to tech.
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 01:31 AM   #5
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballer
he is good, not great.

His team, Hargrave Prep (holy *** they were good) played against my high school this year (i graduated last year). He wasn't the best player on his team that game. It was that Barksdale kid going to tech.

And you're judging him on one game? He was a consensus top 15-20 five star player in the 2011 class. I think he might be able to play a little bit.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:00 AM   #6
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Reminds me of 9th grade when the football coach recruited me as a wide receiver for the freshman team. I was super stoked about a coach seeking me out to come play for him. . .until my boys reported back the next day that in practice, the coach said "some Ralph guy" would be arriving the next day. My name is Ryan. No one has named their kid Ralph in 80 years.

And that is how my football career ended before it began.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 11:43 PM   #7
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

what a ****ing dumb reason to not go somewhere. DO they know who I am!?! I can understand feeling a little slighted by it, but to base your decision on it?
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:43 AM   #8
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
what a ****ing dumb reason to not go somewhere. DO they know who I am!?! I can understand feeling a little slighted by it, but to base your decision on it?
It's not why he went anywhere, just a big part of why he DIDN'T go to Duke, and I don't think you can blame the kid. Obviously a huge part of finding a "fit" as a recruit is going to a place you feel wanted, someone repeatedly getting your name wrong makes you feel like some random kid in a long line of recruits getting letters from a school I assume. It's completely impersonal and shows a pretty laughable attention to detail.

I mean, after all, sometimes you wanna go...WHERE EVERYBODYYY KNOWS YOUR NAAAAME, AND THEY'RE ALWAYS GLAD YOU CAAAME...
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Uncle Toms can't even spell ... smh.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:30 AM   #10
kidachi

Old 06-01-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
bballer
Orioles/Tarheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
And you're judging him on one game? He was a consensus top 15-20 five star player in the 2011 class. I think he might be able to play a little bit.
No. I saw him play multiple times. All the games I saw him play he was not shooting well.

On days he would shoot well, I'm sure he will be a monster, but when all he is doing is jacking up 25 footers, he will be sitting on the bench in Chapel Hill. Bullock is just as good of a shooter as he is.

Also, I heard he was very immature form a VERY reliable source.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #12
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
No. I saw him play multiple times. All the games I saw him play he was not shooting well.

On days he would shoot well, I'm sure he will be a monster, but when all he is doing is jacking up 25 footers, he will be sitting on the bench in Chapel Hill. Bullock is just as good of a shooter as he is.

Also, I heard he was very immature form a VERY reliable source.

We'll see. And he won't play a ton this year simply because UNC is beyond stacked. However, had Barnes, Henson and Zeller gone pro, then he would have played a ton. He'll still get 10-15 minutes per game. Like I said, he must have done something right over the last three or four years because he's a consensus top 20 five star player.

And I know you can't reveal your VERY reliable source, but how well does this "source" know him? Do you actually follow college basketball? I'm not saying Roy Williams is a saint who only recruits altar boys, but he has a reputation for recruiting kids with great reputations. He's purposely not recruited great talent in his own backyard due to players having reputations for having bad attitudes among other "baggage".

Last edited by KG215 : 06-06-2011 at 09:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:47 PM   #13
bballer
Orioles/Tarheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
We'll see. And he won't play a ton this year simply because UNC is beyond stacked. However, had Barnes, Henson and Zeller gone pro, then he would have played a ton. He'll still get 10-15 minutes per game. Like I said, he must have done something right over the last three or four years because he's a consensus top 20 five star player.

And I know you can't reveal your VERY reliable source, but how well does this "source" know him? Do you actually follow college basketball? I'm not saying Roy Williams is a saint who only recruits altar boys, but he has a reputation for recruiting kids with great reputations. He's purposely not recruited great talent in his own backyard due to players having reputations for having bad attitudes among other "baggage".
I recently spoke with my "source" about this. He said that Hairston has matured greatly from last year. He was referring to about a year ago when he said he was immature. When I talked to him about 2 weeks ago, he said that he calmed down a lot. I'm guessing it was the All-Star games and such that made him realize he needs to grow up.

IDk if he will play over Bullock next year though. Didn't really get to see what Bullock was all about cause of the injury.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:35 AM   #14
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
I recently spoke with my "source" about this. He said that Hairston has matured greatly from last year. He was referring to about a year ago when he said he was immature. When I talked to him about 2 weeks ago, he said that he calmed down a lot. I'm guessing it was the All-Star games and such that made him realize he needs to grow up.

IDk if he will play over Bullock next year though. Didn't really get to see what Bullock was all about cause of the injury.

Well, I'm not doubting you after your PM, but Roy Williams isn't the type of coach who goes out and recruits head-cases and kids with big attitude problems.

And I don't think any UNC fan expects him to play over Bullock or McDonald next year. Bullock has a ton of upside. I mean he was essentially the same player coming out of high school as Hairston: a 5* top 10-15 player in his class. I think UNC's SG/SF rotation next year will actually be...

SG: Strickland, McDonald, Bullock, Hairston
SF: Barnes, Bullock, Hairston

Barnes: 30-35 mpg, most at SF, but some at PF.

Strickland: 20-25 mpg, I think he'll see fewr minutes at PG this year with the signing of Stillman White, but will still be considered the back-up PG and starting SG.

McDonald: 18-22 mpg, all at SG. Could see his minutes reduce if Bullock starts reaching his ceiling as the season progresses.

Bullock:: 15-18 mpg, most at SF, but some at SG. Like I said, his minutes will increase if he starts reching his potential.

Hairston: 10-15 mpg, only because of the incredible depth ahead of him. A 5* player of his caliber would walk onto almost any campus next year and immediately be a 20-25 mpg player. He just happens to be walking into a situation where his team is beyond loaded.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: