Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 05-17-2011, 11:06 PM   #16
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: Rumour: Colangelo about to get a new deal.

Option 1: Re-sign Colangelo to a shorter contract like this?
- Colangelo does everything he can to create an immediate winner and keep his job. The Raptors will be making hard runs at the 8th seed the next 2 years with no hope of significant success down the road.

Option 2: Re-sign Colangelo to a longer deal?
- Colangelo continues to experiment (dick around) and gives Bargnani another 5 years to prove himself because really, the first 5 weren't enough.

Option 3: Colangelo fired early in the 10/11 season or last offseason which would've given the Raptors time to find a new GM so they wouldn't be GM-less going into the next draft?
- Winning! But impossible without a time machine.

What a stupid franchise.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:19 PM   #17
RapsFan
Great college starter

I m not sure how anyone could be the slighest bit happy with Colangelo getting another chance to 'build' this team. What a disaster. Typical lazy move by a lazy franchise going nowhere.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:33 PM   #18
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

^^^^ I would've gone with Option 3.

With this new, shorter contract, I fully expect a bunch of quick fix moves and failed low seed playoff "runs" that may bring short term satisfaction, but does absolutely nothing for the long run, which is where the franchise should be looking at.
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #19
bada bing
College star

meh. a 2 year deal isn't bad. I predict a bandage type of rebuilding by BC. He is going to add enough players and we sneak in as an 8th seed and the entire city erupts into a "BC is a god" parade.

And how is it that stating MLSE is about making money a conspiracy theory now? They are a corporation. It is their job to make money. It does not take a conspiracy theorist to come up with the idea that if the raptors are not making the all might dollar, that BC would have been fired a long time ago. Whether we like it or not, BC is a great corporate GM. He is making profits for this organization by putting out a crappy product. We are not even a big market 'NBA' team yet we are doing pretty good. This is no conspiracy theory.

Also, as i stated earlier, i find it baffling that a person who has done such a horrendous job in terms of putting out a winning product, is being praised by the fans (or a few particular 'fans' on here). I get being praised by the board of directors as he is making money...but the fans? thats just insulting and pathetic if u ask me. You are okay with BC making pathetic move after move? You need a reality check there. I hope you never become a leader of anything ever. You would really suck because you are okay with putting out a half-ass effort. It is the same analogy as saying you are okay with Chinese toys that have elevated Lead levels in them being marketed for newborns.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #20
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing
meh. a 2 year deal isn't bad. I predict a bandage type of rebuilding by BC. He is going to add enough players and we sneak in as an 8th seed and the entire city erupts into a "BC is a god" parade.

And how is it that stating MLSE is about making money a conspiracy theory now? They are a corporation. It is their job to make money. It does not take a conspiracy theorist to come up with the idea that if the raptors are not making the all might dollar, that BC would have been fired a long time ago. Whether we like it or not, BC is a great corporate GM. He is making profits for this organization by putting out a crappy product. We are not even a big market 'NBA' team yet we are doing pretty good. This is no conspiracy theory.

Also, as i stated earlier, i find it baffling that a person who has done such a horrendous job in terms of putting out a winning product, is being praised by the fans (or a few particular 'fans' on here). I get being praised by the board of directors as he is making money...but the fans? thats just insulting and pathetic if u ask me. You are okay with BC making pathetic move after move? You need a reality check there. I hope you never become a leader of anything ever. You would really suck because you are okay with putting out a half-ass effort. It is the same analogy as saying you are okay with Chinese toys that have elevated Lead levels in them being marketed for newborns.

I really don't want to kick the "Great Euro Debate 2011" hornets nest here but...

You can tell he's a corporate GM by how he's managed to outsource so many of the team's jobs to the detriment of product quality.

Seriously though, this was a joke. No need to fight.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:34 AM   #21
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bada bing

I agree that BC is a good corporate GM. He is a good spinmaster. Turning shit into gold at the microphone. AND I am generally a believer in conspiracty theories. BUT in this case it doesn't add up.

The reality is that BC has hurt this team financially. The attendance has been dropping steadily over the past 3 years and there are no playoff revenues. I am sure this has some accountants at MLSE calling for his head.
This is not like the leafs where they sell out every game no matter what and get huge tv ratings. Raptor fans are supportive but not stupid.

I am a huge raptor fan and I won't watch (on tv let alone go to) any games because of what BC has done. I know I am not alone on this board. The product is just too painful to watch most of the time.

SO I am saying BC was not rehired because he is making the team money. They would make way more money if they could bring in a GM that could turn the franchise around.

Look at AA. The Jays attendance is on the rise and tv ratings are up huge.
The jays are playing 500 (the definition of mediocrity) but toronto fans are smart. They understand that there is a good plan in place and are supportive of that plan.

I reiterate, this 2 year deal is really only a 1 year deal. Lots of execs are canned in their final year of contract.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:59 PM   #22
bokes15
Playoffs!

I'm not gonna post this entire article that I just read http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/17...wears-bullseye

But if you read through it, it says that BC asked for a 4-5 year extension. So giving him a 2 year was in fact MLSE putting their foot down and deciding that he has to show something better than what he has over the past 5 seasons. And also, it mentions that with MLSE selling majority ownership to the Raps, whoever buys it won't find a need to keep him for the sake of loyalty. It's step up or get fired. We may not like him but this was the only logical move to make at this stage of the game.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:13 PM   #23
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

Default Re: Colangelo inks a 2 year deal, team option for a 3rd.. *OFFICIAL*

Whatever, let him try to clean up the mess he created. At least it's only two years.

Of course, he will probably try to sop it up with more soft jump shooters.

I take it back. Even two years is to much for a GM who deserves to be fired.
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #24
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
I'm not gonna post this entire article that I just read http://www.torontosun.com/2011/05/17...wears-bullseye

But if you read through it, it says that BC asked for a 4-5 year extension. So giving him a 2 year was in fact MLSE putting their foot down and deciding that he has to show something better than what he has over the past 5 seasons. And also, it mentions that with MLSE selling majority ownership to the Raps, whoever buys it won't find a need to keep him for the sake of loyalty. It's step up or get fired. We may not like him but this was the only logical move to make at this stage of the game.

Here's my problem with that:

He's got a 2 year deal, does that not encourage him to start making stop-gap fixes so that in 2 years time he'll having somethign to show to management, rather than taking time and building properly (ie - Q's tank 2012 is unlikely to happen)
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:27 PM   #25
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
Here's my problem with that:

He's got a 2 year deal, does that not encourage him to start making stop-gap fixes so that in 2 years time he'll having somethign to show to management, rather than taking time and building properly (ie - Q's tank 2012 is unlikely to happen)
IMO, I don't really see a stop gap move that could turn a 22 win team into a playoff contender so i'm not really worried there. The young assets that we have now is the only thing he has left to hang his hat on at this point. We are just in a very different place than what we were in the past 2-3 seasons.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #26
RapsFan
Great college starter

I don know why anyone would be happy because it's 'just' two years? All the moves a GM makes can have impacts for much longer. We can't afford BC to touch a single thing ever again. This is totally insane. He's not accountable at all because he works for an employer that gives extensions for terrible performance. Makes no sense.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #27
bokes15
Playoffs!

I don't really see anyone here who has said they are "happy" about it. There's a difference between being overjoyed and being ok with it. There weren't any other logical moves to have been made at this stage of the game unless as Q said BC had been fired earlier on in the season. What were they gonna do, go through a GM search right before the draft?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:24 AM   #28
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Well looks like we will sign another role player to the MLE. Maybe make a stop gap trade or two. We might make the 8th seed next year or the year after. BC will get another short term extension. Repeat.

This is getting fcuking old..
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:21 AM   #29
T-Low
College superstar

With all the stuff MLSE has on their plate this summer, I think they just signed Colangelo to get it out of the way because they won't have the time.
T-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:11 AM   #30
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Low
With all the stuff MLSE has on their plate this summer, I think they just signed Colangelo to get it out of the way because they won't have the time.
Exactly. That's the point.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: