Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 05-18-2011, 12:08 AM   #31
Reef
College star

Default Re: Raptors should fold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himan12
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

our luck sucks, and the trainwreck that is the Toronto Raptors continues ... but hey we can try and draft joey graham again.

Theres always next years draft

You changed your avatar!!!
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #32
Himan12
On the clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
You changed your avatar!!!

Yeah, lol most people wanted it gone.

Don't know why though
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:17 AM   #33
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

now its like a powderpuff girls rabbit.... still fcked
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:20 AM   #34
Himan12
On the clouds

(But it has knives!)

on topic:

Honestly dont care who we take as long as they have the highest ceiling/BPA tag.
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:46 AM   #35
Doko
High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
Ya, why not. I need some prospect of an excitng player that will make watching this team at least bareable. As it stands, it looks like another year to skip.

Doko's right though, if only we'd cheered harder for Bargnani we would have won the lotto. Shame on us.

Wow, you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you?
As I've stated multiple times, trying to suck on purpose and cheer for Ls hoping to get lucky in the draft is plain out retarded and only rarely works out, go and ask Minnesota.
The correct way to rebuild is via free agency, via trades and of course by getting your young guys some playoff experience.
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #36
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

scary quote:

Quote:
But he also has a rare second chance to make things right.

He intends to do as much.

“I vow to do everything in my power not to have (a 22-win season) happen again,” Colangelo said.

Looks like the 8th seed and 5 more years before we're back in the top 5 pick range. ****
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:13 AM   #37
The_Night_Elf
My Game's Nucking Futs

Cav's will take Irving with the first pick. I think most of us see that happening.
Mini will then take Williams unless they trade it but then that team will pick Williams anyways.
Utah apparently loves Knight, so he'll be gone.
Cav's with the fourth I can see taking Kanter so they'd have the top PG and Center in the draft.

That said I can see either Walker, or Leonard coming to us. I don't really want another Euro big man like Vesely or Valanciunas since they don't seem like they type of big men we need with Bargs still on board.

If we get Walker I'd like the Raps to trade Calderon and let Bayless and Walker run the point. if they fail, they fail. we're most likely to get a high pick next draft anyways...
The_Night_Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:30 AM   #38
DJMason
High School JV MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doko
Wow, you're not the sharpest knife in the drawer, are you?
As I've stated multiple times, trying to suck on purpose and cheer for Ls hoping to get lucky in the draft is plain out retarded and only rarely works out, go and ask Minnesota.
The correct way to rebuild is via free agency, via trades and of course by getting your young guys some playoff experience.

The Toronto Maple Leafs and the last few years of the Toronto Raptors would like a word with you. In a cap system the best way to rebuild is young, cheap, controllable tallent. ESPECIALLY with the new CBA coming up that will make free agency rebuilds even more of a pipe dream. Just look at every team shedding cap space last season not named the Miami Heat and what a miserable failure that was (NY included). The fact that you cannot grasp this when everyone else in the sporting world outside of MLSE and the mess they're making of the Leafs and Raptors is astounding.

Honestly if I didn't already have plenty of reasons, that statement alone is reason enough for me to never take your opinions seriously again.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:32 PM   #39
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Minnesota? Tanking worked for them this year. They got the 2nd pick in basically a 2-player draft. Look at a team like Sacramento who didn't tank and won a bunch of meaningless game at the end of last year. Because of that, their draft pick dropped far.

Tanking is used to give yourself a good chance at a high pick. There is still luck involved but again, I'd rather have the 5th pick in a crappy draft than the 10th pick. You still have to have good scouts and management to make the correct pick.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #40
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

Quote:

In the Raptors' position, that's a recipe for mediocrity at best. Their talent isn't good enough right now, and no matter how much playoff seasoning they (somehow) get, Davis, DeRozan, (Bargnani,) whoever are not going to be good enough to be central pieces in a competitive team- unless it's as third and fourth options where they are joined by players who are far better than they will ever be.

And where are the Raptors, who so far in their history have been very far from a draw to players, going to get the superstars they need to get anywhere beyond mediocre? Ask yourself- who are the best players the Raptors have ever brought in in a trade? Who are the best players they've ever signed as free agents?

The Raptors need superstars, and the only way they can possibly get them in the foreseeable future is in the draft. Therefore, maximising the draft position makes sense.

(Even though the existence of an incentive to do badly is a disgusting flaw in the North American sporting model.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTech
scary quote:

Looks like the 8th seed and 5 more years before we're back in the top 5 pick range. ****

I'm not worried about this because I don't see how the Raptors can possibly make the playoffs this year no matter how hard they try.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 02:32 PM   #41
missionman
I airball my layups

Quote:

I don't post often here, but thought i had to respond to this one. The ONLY portion of this statement i agree with is giving your young guys playoff experience.

While Toronto is not the most attractive of destinations for financial reasons and because of ignorance by some americans, free agents WILL come if its a winning franchise or one that has promise.

Trades are great, but you need to have assets to trade.

I don't see how you get either scenario to happen (f/a signings or trades) if you don't draft well. Your odds are better of drafting well increase exponentially the higher you pick, and the worse you do in the preceding year.

FURTHERMORE, (its been said here before by others), history would demonstrate that the NBA champions have been developed around a superstar developed out of hte draft, surrounded by other great players that may have been drafted, signed or traded for. (Bird/celtics, Magic/lakers, MJ/Bulls, Duncan/Spurs, Isaiah/Bad Boys, Kobe/Lakers (ok, ok - they traded for Shaq and there is the issue of kobe forcing his way on to the Lakers, but still...). Even the Pistons, arguably, had to have assets from the draft to turn them into a champion (Ben Wallace in S&T fir Grant Hill, Stackhouse for Rip, Tayshaun was drafted...)

granted things have changed in recent years with players realizing that they make so much money they can take a paycut to be on winning team (a la Lebron and Bosh), OR maybe form another superteam like the Knicks if they can attract DWill or CP3.

If you want to argue whether or not its more interesting (or better for business) to finish 8th year after year in mediocrity, over going for the gold with a high draft pick, fine. But don't tell me that the 'correct' way to build' is through free agency and trades...
missionman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:04 PM   #42
bluerap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by missionman
I don't post often here, but thought i had to respond to this one. The ONLY portion of this statement i agree with is giving your young guys playoff experience.

While Toronto is not the most attractive of destinations for financial reasons and because of ignorance by some americans, free agents WILL come if its a winning franchise or one that has promise.

Trades are great, but you need to have assets to trade.

I don't see how you get either scenario to happen (f/a signings or trades) if you don't draft well. Your odds are better of drafting well increase exponentially the higher you pick, and the worse you do in the preceding year.

FURTHERMORE, (its been said here before by others), history would demonstrate that the NBA champions have been developed around a superstar developed out of hte draft, surrounded by other great players that may have been drafted, signed or traded for. (Bird/celtics, Magic/lakers, MJ/Bulls, Duncan/Spurs, Isaiah/Bad Boys, Kobe/Lakers (ok, ok - they traded for Shaq and there is the issue of kobe forcing his way on to the Lakers, but still...). Even the Pistons, arguably, had to have assets from the draft to turn them into a champion (Ben Wallace in S&T fir Grant Hill, Stackhouse for Rip, Tayshaun was drafted...)

granted things have changed in recent years with players realizing that they make so much money they can take a paycut to be on winning team (a la Lebron and Bosh), OR maybe form another superteam like the Knicks if they can attract DWill or CP3.

If you want to argue whether or not its more interesting (or better for business) to finish 8th year after year in mediocrity, over going for the gold with a high draft pick, fine. But don't tell me that the 'correct' way to build' is through free agency and trades...

good post, but you are wasting your time trying to talk reason with a retard like doko.

The guy thinks because we fell 2 spaces in the lotto it proves that rebuilding through the draft doesn't work. Obviously a screw is loose. Go tell it to OKC.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:29 PM   #43
missionman
I airball my layups

I thought I'd add one more thought. While i was writing my post i was thinking how unlucky we raptors are. I figure it might be maybe every 20 years or so, on average, before a franchise gets so lucky to have drafted a championship calibre player/team. I thought Raptors were unlucky because we hadn't ever drafted well enough to be in that position - but maybe, we had been lucky enough, when we had McGrady and Carter. What could have been...
missionman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: