Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 05-18-2011, 03:03 PM   #16
Himan12
On the clouds

Himan12 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Official Draft Brandon Knight Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripledouble24
I agree, let's face it we're not going to be making the playoffs next year/2012 either. So we might as well get our front court set(hopefully), then get that PG next year when there are legit studs to draft even if we fall to 5th. I'm not familiar with next year's draft but I can almost guarantee there will be a better pg than brandon knight where we pick next year(that's how bad the drop off is after 3.. damn why did we have to drop? I was content with picking kanter!)

If there was any draft to drop off, its this one. (But nevertheless it does suck that we dropped)
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:55 PM   #17
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himan12
If there was any draft to drop off, its this one. (But nevertheless it does suck that we dropped)

Actually I will now take a different spin on this.

We dropped to 5th - FANTASTIC.

If Brandon Knight gets past the Kings - we can take him or if he is gone we can take Kemba Walker. Our Point guard of the future. Bang. Bobs your uncle.

The lower result combined with the two year (plus option in case of lockout deal) for BC is nothing less than the shut up and put up proposition. Neither Knight nor Walker added to the core of young guys makes this team 8th seed competative even in the Eastern Confernece.

This means that BC MUST deal current assets to build a core that is competative and entertaining. More work needs to be done.

Given the bean counters in MLSE and rookie deals he is NOT moving JJ, Demar, Davis nor Amir (contract value). Bayliss potentially but Baylis is a cheaper Barbosa so unlikely.

That means BC will have to deal from the talent pool of Weems (?), Barges, Jose, Barbosa, Evans, Kliza and salary cap open space to add what we need -

Chris Kaman? Andre from Portland? Ike in Philly ? Gasol as rfa ?

There are options and choices and this is a good thing.

Even if you hate BC and his moves - you must admit he is capable of making some creative ones. Now time will tell if his next moves are the right ones or not - but time is limited to 3 years. Clearly the goal will be both a repeat playoff apperance and potentially at least a 1 round advancement.

Ill take that for a change.

And if in three years we dont see that kind of result - well all the moaning about it can be muted now because Mr Colangelo you are on the clock.

Last edited by Jballer : 05-18-2011 at 06:00 PM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #18
Kungfro
Takeo Ischi

Kungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKungfro is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbeastnani
I'm SO pissed that we dropped to 5th spot. Can our luck get any worse?????

Meh, it's a weak draft anyway. It's not like we won't be back in next year.
Kungfro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 08:41 PM   #19
DoubleTech
NBA lottery pick

DoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected posterDoubleTech is a pretty well-respected poster

Kemba Walker or bust.

So what if Knight is 6'3? Low assists/turn over ratio, low steals, low shooting %

Kemba may come off as a chucker, but look at the team he was on.. he HAD to shoot the ball a ton for them to win the NCAA tourney.

Also, look at how Kemba's APG was higher in the tourney than in the regular season... and considering how much time the ball spent in his hands, that's an extremely low turn over ratio.

Kemba is a winner, and regardless of his size.. if you can ball you can ball.

In a draft that is full of gambles after the top 2 picks, I believe Kemba and his winning pedigree is the best fit for the Raps if he's still there at 5.
DoubleTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:28 AM   #20
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Kemba is my pick. Valenciunas or Biyombo could be steal picks though. I wasn't too high on Biyombo because I thought he was another Hasheem Thabeet but he looked really good at the Hoops summit. Ibaka-esque. He could be the defensive center we need in our rebuild.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:58 AM   #21
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Personally I think you keep Bayless, draft Knight (because yes, size does matter in the NBA and he plays better D) and then do your damndest to get Calderon shipped out. If nothing else a pg rotation of Bayless and Knight would be exciting to watch next year if a little erratic.

That said if the pick can be used in something like a S&T involving Bargs for Gasol (obviously with us paying Gasol more than Bargs gets now and eating up some of our cap) or something else then make that move instead. But if we keep the pick, I think we need to roll the dice on a guard, and Knight's my man.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #22
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

I'm not usually one to go on intangibles, but I do like the idea of drafting Walker and thus putting a 'winner' and 'leader' on this team of losers and sheep.

Would obviously snap up Kanter instead though if he drops, which it still seems like he might.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:25 PM   #23
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Walker measured in at 5-11 3/4 barefoot which is pretty good. So he'll be 6-1 in shoes, which I think is fine. I was expecting much shorter. Hopefully that puts some fears to rest. He's taller than Jameer, Brooks, Lawson, Felton, Augustin, Flynn, and Ford.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #24
bluerap
Local High School Star

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
Walker measured in at 5-11 3/4 barefoot which is pretty good. So he'll be 6-1 in shoes, which I think is fine. I was expecting much shorter. Hopefully that puts some fears to rest. He's taller than Jameer, Brooks, Lawson, Felton, Augustin, Flynn, and Ford.

That will definitely raise his stock.
We need to remember that Walker destroyed Knight in College.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:56 PM   #25
EuroWise
GM Star

EuroWise has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluerap
That will definitely raise his stock.
We need to remember that Walker destroyed Knight in College.

KEMBA WALKER IS MY CHOICE!! HE PLAYED GREAT OFFEMSE, GOOD DEFENSE, STEALS, HIGH MOTOR!! WITH BETTER TEANMATES WILL INCREASE THE ASSIST NUMBERS!! THE BEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT NO DOUBT!!
EuroWise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:03 PM   #26
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroWise
KEMBA WALKER IS MY CHOICE!! HE PLAYED GREAT OFFEMSE, GOOD DEFENSE, STEALS, HIGH MOTOR!! WITH BETTER TEANMATES WILL INCREASE THE ASSIST NUMBERS!! THE BEST PLAYER IN THE DRAFT NO DOUBT!!
Sorry bro but you make me laugh sometimes. I swear this looks like you typed this in another language and ran it through google translation or something.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 09:03 PM   #27
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board

http://www.nba.com/video/channels/dr...s=iref:nbahpt2

BC says number one priority is the 5 spot AND THEN looking at the guards

he mentioned that they do have some cap space to work with but all indications from this interview say Valanciunas seems the most likely pick at 5
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 12:29 AM   #28
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz

he mentioned that they do have some cap space to work with but all indications from this interview say Valanciunas seems the most likely pick at 5

I'm very okay with that. I'd rather Kanter, but assuming he's gone/doesn't want to be a Raptor, I'm willing to give Valanciunas some time to develop, get bigger, and maybe have (best case scenario) a Biedrins+a post game type impact.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:03 AM   #29
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz

I'm already regretting his re-signing. You know what that means - he wants to keep Bargs and play him at PF. He mentioned before they need a C to play next to Bargs.

He shouldn't be drafting for need either at this point. Just take the BPA. Let's not make another "Hoffa" move (not saying Valanciunas will be like Hoffa).
Old 05-24-2011, 03:05 AM   #30
Reef
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
I'm very okay with that. I'd rather Kanter, but assuming he's gone/doesn't want to be a Raptor, I'm willing to give Valanciunas some time to develop, get bigger, and maybe have (best case scenario) a Biedrins+a post game type impact.

Raps are meeting with Kanter in Chicago in June:

Quote:
Utah is coming here to Chicago, and we're going to go to Minnesota in the second half of June," Ergul said. "Toronto is coming here. Cleveland (Nos. 1 and 4 picks), we're trying to discussing logistics of dates and stuff."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...aft.camp.wrap/
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: