Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Dallas Mavericks Forum

Dallas Mavericks Forum Dallas Mavericks message board - mavs message board - dallas mavericks fan forum

Old 05-20-2011, 03:24 AM   #751
catch24
phal5

Default Re: May 19 Playoffs: WCF Thunder at Mavericks Game 2 9 ET

What was up with Westbrook riding the pine? Didn't catch the whole game.
catch24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:40 AM   #752
tpols
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by catch24
What was up with Westbrook riding the pine? Didn't catch the whole game.
He made some bad plays in the third, didn't pass KD the ball and turned it over so the coach benched him.

Maynor was distributing it much better to durant and harden so the offense ended up running much smoother.
tpols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:53 AM   #753
insidehoops
Administrator

Game recap: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=7699
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:44 AM   #754
King Lebron LBJ
I am A Witness

Just like that, it's a series.
King Lebron LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:44 AM   #755
OKCThunderUP
Thank you Based Presti

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpols
He made some bad plays in the third, didn't pass KD the ball and turned it over so the coach benched him.

Maynor was distributing it much better to durant and harden so the offense ended up running much smoother.

Westbrook's play had nothing to do with it. It was more about rewarding Maynor for playing so well. If you've been following OKC and then saw this game you probably would have said "FINALLY!" There are 10-15 games the last half of the season where Maynor was playing super well and should have just closed the game. It's nice to finally see Brooks let him do it.
OKCThunderUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:00 AM   #756
DMAVS41
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKCThunderUP
Westbrook's play had nothing to do with it. It was more about rewarding Maynor for playing so well. If you've been following OKC and then saw this game you probably would have said "FINALLY!" There are 10-15 games the last half of the season where Maynor was playing super well and should have just closed the game. It's nice to finally see Brooks let him do it.

It has a lot to do with westbrook man. He's not a pg. Thats the problem. He's a slightly worse version of Rose. Its not what this team needs. He dribbles around too much. He stops the ball. He's not a very good passer.

Maynor and Harden actually know how to play team ball. With Westbrook on the floor in the 4th I don't think you guys win. I think Westbrook makes a few mistakes like he always does and then that frustrates the team and you don't see the same result.

And the difference certainly wasn't collison playing dirk like you said in the other thread. Dirk went to town on him the entire 4th qtr.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:48 AM   #757
blacknapalm
spider 2 y banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAVS41
It has a lot to do with westbrook man. He's not a pg. Thats the problem. He's a slightly worse version of Rose. Its not what this team needs. He dribbles around too much. He stops the ball. He's not a very good passer.

Maynor and Harden actually know how to play team ball. With Westbrook on the floor in the 4th I don't think you guys win. I think Westbrook makes a few mistakes like he always does and then that frustrates the team and you don't see the same result.

And the difference certainly wasn't collison playing dirk like you said in the other thread. Dirk went to town on him the entire 4th qtr.

really couldn't agree more. westbrook oftentimes plays like a SG. when a play doesn't develop right away, he puts his head down and throws up a wild shot or overdribbles and settles up a jumper. it's odd because he's actually a decent passer. plus, he's an elite athlete. he just doesn't have the court vision or patience to follow through on the play. his jumper isn't consistent enough to rely on all the time.

that said, part of the problem is the simplicity at which brooks runs offensive sets. they need to do a way better job of getting durant the ball in motion. i still think harden is the best playmaker on the team.
blacknapalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #758
DMAVS41

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacknapalm
really couldn't agree more. westbrook oftentimes plays like a SG. when a play doesn't develop right away, he puts his head down and throws up a wild shot or overdribbles and settles up a jumper. it's odd because he's actually a decent passer. plus, he's an elite athlete. he just doesn't have the court vision or patience to follow through on the play. his jumper isn't consistent enough to rely on all the time.

that said, part of the problem is the simplicity at which brooks runs offensive sets. they need to do a way better job of getting durant the ball in motion. i still think harden is the best playmaker on the team.

yep. and he has plenty of time to improve. unless he's unwilling to change. just like derrick rose. they both have to become better pg's at some point. too many times its:

"well...there is 10 seconds left on the shot clock....i better break the offense and jack a three or force a tough shot"

These guys are so young right now. They will get so much better. But its hard, because the Thunder can win it all this year. So its hard as a coach probably to deal with the growing pains when you have guys that can run the offense better in certain situations.

Really interesting debate though. I think Harden is just the ****ing man though. I love this Thunder team. Definitely want them to win it all if they beat my Mavs.

But they are so damn good and KD is cold blooded superstar and future all time great.

Hopefully they don't make the finals until next year though. Just 1 more year please.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:55 AM   #759
creepingdeath
How does my Dirk taste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddlovesnets
Well maybe, but he did choke at least three big times to cost the Mavs a title in 2006 and two first round wins against Warriors in 2007 and Spurs in 2010. This time, luckily, the opponent is the Thunder, but Miami Heat is gonna be a different story.
Dirk choked in 2010? Sorry, but that would be your buddy Kidd who did that.

And how the f*ck did this discussion turn into one of those tedious Kobe debates?
creepingdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:13 AM   #760
DMAVS41

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepingdeath
Dirk choked in 2010? Sorry, but that would be your buddy Kidd who did that.

And how the f*ck did this discussion turn into one of those tedious Kobe debates?

I called this yesterday in the Dirk thread.

I said that if the Mavs ever lose and Dirk does not play perfectly, the second that happens....Dirk will be called a choker again.

And what do you know. 16 4th qtr points and 1 missed free throw and a number of people are calling him a choker.

Its awesome.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:22 AM   #761
creepingdeath
How does my Dirk taste

Quote:
I called this yesterday in the Dirk thread.

I said that if the Mavs ever lose and Dirk does not play perfectly, the second that happens....Dirk will be called a choker again.

And what do you know. 16 4th qtr points and 1 missed free throw and a number of people are calling him a choker.

Its awesome.
Yeah, business as usual for trolls and ISHiots.

Hopefully we can take game 3.. Terry and Peja need to step up big time, and Carlisle needs to feed the German earlier on.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:47 AM   #762
DMAVS41

Quote:
Yeah, business as usual for trolls and ISHiots.

Hopefully we can take game 3.. Terry and Peja need to step up big time, and Carlisle needs to feed the German earlier on.

A few things:

1. The Thunder did a really good job of fronting Dirk and shading him in the 3rd qtr. We were trying to get it to him, but it was taking too long and the offense was breaking down because of it. Its why we looked better when Dirk left the game in third qtr. In the future, there needs to be some secondary action going on in case we can't get Dirk the ball in some sets. Normally we do a good job of this, but I thought we did a terrible job of this in 3rd qtr last night.

2. Terry especially can't play like that. Its asking a lot of him every night, but thats what we need. This is the problem with not having a true 2nd option, but Terry has to fill that void.

3. The Thunder did a great job of attacking Barea when he was in. Maynor went right at him. And the Thunder even attacked him in the zone as well. It really limited the time Rick felt he could play Barea..which led to:

4. Stevenson is killing us. He's not playing great defense, he's a head case at times, he's not making shots, and he's not skilled enough with the ball or as a passer to run pick and rolls with Dirk. I think he played almost 30 minutes last night. He's not good enough to do that. We won't win many games in this series with him playing that many minutes.

I think it will be a long series, but it sucks blowing a game at home like that....especially when Dirk played really well late in the game and kept us right in it.

And of course our overall defense has been poor, but not terrible. The Thunder just made shots last night. A lot of tough shots. Harden and Maynor were the difference.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:53 AM   #763
creepingdeath
How does my Dirk taste

Quote:
A few things:

1. The Thunder did a really good job of fronting Dirk and shading him in the 3rd qtr. We were trying to get it to him, but it was taking too long and the offense was breaking down because of it. Its why we looked better when Dirk left the game in third qtr. In the future, there needs to be some secondary action going on in case we can't get Dirk the ball in some sets. Normally we do a good job of this, but I thought we did a terrible job of this in 3rd qtr last night.

2. Terry especially can't play like that. Its asking a lot of him every night, but thats what we need. This is the problem with not having a true 2nd option, but Terry has to fill that void.

3. The Thunder did a great job of attacking Barea when he was in. Maynor went right at him. And the Thunder even attacked him in the zone as well. It really limited the time Rick felt he could play Barea..which led to:

4. Stevenson is killing us. He's not playing great defense, he's a head case at times, he's not making shots, and he's not skilled enough with the ball or as a passer to run pick and rolls with Dirk. I think he played almost 30 minutes last night. He's not good enough to do that. We won't win many games in this series with him playing that many minutes.

I think it will be a long series, but it sucks blowing a game at home like that....especially when Dirk played really well late in the game and kept us right in it.

And of course our overall defense has been poor, but not terrible. The Thunder just made shots last night. A lot of tough shots. Harden and Maynor were the difference.

I agree with almost everything except your 4th point. Sometimes Stevenson tends to force a bad shot instead of passing out to the open man, but yesterday he HAD to take exactly those 3pointers late on the shotclock. IMO his defense was pretty good on Durant, he got called twice on absolutely nothing and despite of that did a nice job overall.

Marion, on the other hand.. especially on the offensive end, he played really badly. I remember Dirk going off and yelling at him in the third. Dude needs to get his sh*t together. Terry, too, but I give him a pass for yesterday since he's been great so far and this had been his worst postseason game by far.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:00 AM   #764
DMAVS41

Quote:
I agree with almost everything except your 4th point. Sometimes Stevenson tends to force a bad shot instead of passing out to the open man, but yesterday he HAD to take exactly those 3pointers late on the shotclock. IMO his defense was pretty good on Durant, he got called twice on absolutely nothing and despite of that did a nice job overall.

Marion, on the other hand.. especially on the offensive end, he played really badly. I remember Dirk going off and yelling at him in the third. Dude needs to get his sh*t together. Terry, too, but I give him a pass for yesterday since he's been great so far and this had been his worst postseason game by far.

Marion has been bad as well.

I don't blame stevenson for all of those shots by any means, but its a fundamental flaw at times when he's out there because he's not skilled enough to make the correct passes.....and his shooting has hurt us a little.

I disagree about the defense. I think he's been all over the place in a bad way at times so far in this series.

Our starting lineup in terms of scoring just isn't very good if we can't feature Dirk fully.

Kidd/Stevenson/Marion/Chandler....ugh. Thats some inept offense right there if Dirk isn't drawing doubles or scoring on the wing post.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:01 AM   #765
Hawker
Banned

Dirk was getting pretty pissed off yesterday...He was yelling at Terry in the 4th for taking that quick three. Dirk wanted that ball.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: