Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Old 05-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
jbryan1984
Good college starter

Default A Cavs fan looks back at the Cavs draft decisions

2009: We selected Christian Eyenga #30 and Danny Green #46. Eyenga has showed some flashes of being pretty good. Sam Young, DeJuan Blair and Marcus Thornton were still available when we selected Christian.

2008: We selected JJ Hickson #19. 3 years later, I am satisified with this pick. He gets better every year, he just needs to stay consistent. He's either really off or really on. Other people passed up include Ryan Anderson, Courtney Lee, Serge Ibaka, Nicolas Batum, George Hill, Mario Chalmers, DeAndre Jordan and Goran Dragic.

2006: We selected Shannon Brown #25 and Daniel Gibson #42. For what was left, Brown seemed like the best pick, though the Lakers got the best out of him. Gibson has become quite a bargain at the 42nd selection. Like other teams, we passed up on Paul Millsap.

2004: We selected Luke Jackson #10. This is one of the more bad decisions we made in all of the drafts. It should had been the draft to find LeBron a sidekick. Jackson did not last long in the NBA and plays in the D-League today. We passed up on Al Jefferson, Josh Smith, JR Smith, Dorell Wright, Jameer Nelson, Delonte West, Tony Allen, Kevin Martin, Anderson Varejao (got him anyway) and Trevor Ariza to draft this scrub.

2003: We drafted LeBron James #1 and Jason Kapono #31. No complaints at #1 but we did pass up some decent players in the second round...... Steve Blake, Willie Green, Zaza Pachulia, Matt Bonner, Mo Williams, James Jones and Kyle Korver.

2002: We drafted Dajuan Wagner #6 and Carlos Boozer #34. Kinda funny, our first and second round selections should be swapped. Boozer ended up being quite a bargain (wished he had stayed longer though). As for Wagner, We drafted him and passed up on Nene Hilario, Amar'e Stoudemire, Caron Butler, Tayshaun Prince, John Salmons, Matt Barnes and Udonis Haslem, who went undrafted.

2001: We got DeSagana Diop #8, Brendan Haywood #20 and Jeff Trepagnier #35. Not happy with the results of this draft, especially when we had the #8 pick. We could of had Joe Johnson, Richard Jefferson, Troy Murphy, Zach Randolph, Gerald Wallace, Tony Parker, Gilbert Arenas or Mehmet Okur.

2000: We drafted Jamal Crawford #8 (then traded him for Chris Mihm). Its too bad we had to trade him but we needed another big because at the time, the future of Z was in question. This is considered by many to be the weakest draft of this generation so not much was missed but Crawford was one of the better players to come out of the draft. For who was available, Michael Redd may had been the only better choice.

1999: We drafted Andre Miller #8, Trajan Langdon #11 and AJ Bramlett #39. I was always satisfied with Miller. He is probably the best PG in the NBA to never be named to an All-Star team. Shawn Marion and Jason Terry were taken in between our #8 and #11 picks. To draft Langdon, we passed up on Corey Maggette, Ron Artest, James Posey, Andrei Kirilenko and Manu Ginobili.

1998: We drafted Ryan Stack #48. All we had was this second round pick so nobody was really left. Brad Miller, Anthony Carter and Earl Boykins went undrafted.

1997: We selected Derek Anderson #13, Brevin Knight #16 and Cedric Henderson #44. I was always pretty satisfied with these 3, played during the Shawn Kemp era of the team. Nobody else was really left on the table, other than Stephen Jackson, who about everyone passed on.

1996: We got Vitaly Potapenko #12, Zydrunas Ilgauskas #20 and Reggie Geary #56. Vitaly was OK but did not end up being the guy we wanted him to be. We passed on a 17 year old HS kid named Kobe Bryant, Peja Stojakovic, Steve Nash and Jermaine O'Neal to get him (insert palm face). Z ended up being quite a bargain indeed. This of course was also the year where Ben Wallace went undrafted (palm face to all teams).

1995: We drafted Bob Sura #17 and Donny Marshall #39. Sura was not a bad pick for who remained in the draft. Theo Ratliff and Michael Finley were still available at the time.

1994: We drafted Gary Collier #42. Nobody was really left. This guy never ended up playing in the NBA.

1993: We got Chris Mills at #22. I always liked him and thought he was underrated. He came at the tail end of the prime years of Nance, Daugherty and Price and he along with Terrell Brandon were 2 of the fresh faces for the new Cavaliers. Guys that were still available at the time were Sam Cassell, Nick Van Exel and Bruce Bowen who went undrafted.

1991: We got Terrell Brandon #11 and Jimmy Oliver #39. Great draft selection this year. Brandon turned into a very good NBA point guard and nobody available was better.

1990: Stefano Rusconi was selected #52. Another late pick where nobody was available.

1989: We selected John Morton #25 and Chucky Brown #43. I never really liked either player. Brown was the better of the 2 and that is not saying much. We passed on Vlade Divac and Clifford Robinson.

1988: We drafted Randolph Keys #22 and Winston Bennett #64. Nothing really to complain about but Vinny Del Negro, Steve Kerr, Anthony Mason and Avery Johnson were still available.

1987: We drafted Kevin Johnson #7, Kannard Johnson #41, Donald Royal #52 and Chris Dudley #75. I thought drafting KJ was great. Reggie Miller was still available though. A lot of people have questioned us trading him mid way through the season but it was for the better. We already had young Mark Price and acquired an already established star in Larry Nance.

1986: We got Brad Daugherty #1, Ron Harper #8 and Johnny Newman #29. Nothing really to argue about here. The only other choice was Len Bias and for obvious reasons, I'm glad we did not draft him. Daugherty went on to co-lead a great Cavs team. They were kind of like the 2000's Detroit Pistons teams. No true superstar, just a bunch of great players forming a team. A lot of people think had it not been for Michael Jordan, they would had won a title.

I think I will stop it here as my knowledge only goes back so far. This year, the Cavs need to make a wise decision. They need luck on their side. We still feel robbed. We were promised a championship and the guy split on us. He wasn't a guy that stayed true to his colors like an MJ, Kobe, Duncan or Dirk would. We need that guy to come along and start building again. Hopefully Irving or D. Williams can be that guy.
jbryan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:25 AM   #2
Harion
Banned

Default Re: A Cavs fan looks back at the Cavs draft decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryan1984
We were promised a championship and the guy split on us. He wasn't a guy that stayed true to his colors like an MJ, Kobe, Duncan or Dirk would.
James was also promised help. funny how it seems James was the one who broke his promise first. and looking at your countdown, i can see why Lebron split your sorry ass city.
Harion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
asdf1990
College star

wow the cavs could have built a legendary team with all the good players they passed on from 2001-2008. no wonder lebron left they have such a shitty front office.

pg: mo williams
sg: joe johnson
sf: lebron
pf: amare
c: al jefferson

bench
gibson
deandre jordan
shannon brown
boozer
jamal crawford

Last edited by asdf1990 : 05-20-2011 at 10:44 AM.
asdf1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
MeLO MvP 15
Knicks 2015 Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf1990
wow the cavs could have built a legendary team with all the good players they passed on from 2001-2008. no wonder lebron left they have such a shitty front office.

pg: mo williams
sg: joe johnson
sf: lebron
pf: amare
c: al jefferson

bench
gibson
deandre jordan
shannon brown
boozer
jamal crawford

Don't be so naive. You could easily say that about every single team in the NBA. It's really easy to look back now and say what they should've done, it's really hard to determine who is gonna be good in the draft.
MeLO MvP 15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #5
Andrei89
#HEATNATION

Oh 2004 was WOW

Imagine havin JOsh Smith or Al Jeff along side Lebron
Andrei89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15
Don't be so naive. You could easily say that about every single team in the NBA. It's really easy to look back now and say what they should've done, it's really hard to determine who is gonna be good in the draft.
Pretty much.
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
jbryan1984
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harion
James was also promised help. funny how it seems James was the one who broke his promise first. and looking at your countdown, i can see why Lebron split your sorry ass city.

And he got the players he asked for to. He loved Shaq cause Shaq would come watch him play in HS. "Mo Williams man he always kills us with those 3's". "I'm glad we have that Wizard on our team now cause was always the one who scored against us when we played them". And while I do not have a quote to throw out about the Amar'e thing, word was he wanted Hickson over Amar'e.
jbryan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeLO MvP 15

Not mentioning they wont get LBJ if they had Amare.
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

I Eyenga pick is starting to look better and better. The Luke Jackson pick was the only pick that was had me go WTF during The LeBron Era. Poor cap management was what did The Cavs in, not the draft.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #10
Rose
Hero in a half shell

So....uh.

Derek Anderson....
He went from basketball to football?
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #11
Sterlingsucks
French Toast Mafia

I dont even want to think about the type of players the LA Clippers could have had since 1980
Sterlingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 03:22 PM   #12
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher
I Eyenga pick is starting to look better and better. The Luke Jackson pick was the only pick that was had me go WTF during The LeBron Era. Poor cap management was what did The Cavs in, not the draft.
The Eyenga pick was a good one and I never thought that I would see myself typing that. I honestly thought that they took Eyenga because they couldn't afford to have a first-rounder on their salary after just signing Shaq and they knew that he was going to spend at least a year overseas.

I thought it was a completely fiscal move and I wasn't sure that we would ever even see him in the NBA. Turns out, someone knows how to scout over there. He has serious talent and upside.

You look through these picks in the last eight years and there really aren't many bad ones. In fact, it is arguable that Eyenga (2009), Hickson (2008) and Shannon Brown/Daniel Gibson (2006) all turned out to be the best players on the board when the Cavaliers selected them.

The only real mistakes were Luke Jackson (2004) and DaJuan Wagner... But, the Wagner pick was made up for by taking Boozer in the second round... One of the biggest draft-day steals of the last decade.

So, the only really bad draft that the Cavs have had in the last nine years was 2004... And, you could go through every team in the league and find a recent draft that they botched. It happens.

The myth that the Cavs have drafted poorly in the last seven years seems to be just that... You are right in that, the thing that hurt us were the FA signings and trade deadline moves that added huge salaries. We also traded away a lot of draft picks in an attempt to 'get good right away.'

However, we probably have different views as to why the Cavs were in the position where they literally had to 'win now' instead of being able to build traditionally, through the draft. They were not in the easiest of positions.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 05-20-2011 at 03:36 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:36 PM   #13
chips93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasher

well hindsight i always 20-20. had the cavs won in 09 then they would have locked up a contender, rather than crippled themselves with bad contracts
Old 05-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
kaiiu
Banned

The Eyenga and Hickson pick was steals
kaiiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:38 PM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
He wasn't a guy that stayed true to his colors like an MJ, Kobe, Duncan or Dirk would

Perhaps Cleveland should have done what Chicago, L.A, S.A and Dallas did for all those players you listed. Yanno get better talent AROUND them. And maybe just maybe the guy doesnt split after 7yrs of lackluster front office moves.

"You want JJ Hickson for Amare? Yea right!"
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: