Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Draft Forum

NBA Draft Forum NBA Draft message board - nba draft forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2011, 12:55 AM   #46
NewYorkNoPicks
National High School Star
 
NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,288
Default Re: Knicks To Select Dontas Montiejunas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Yep... And you keep rating players strictly based on how many points they score.


Dumbass.

The fact that you would even bring up scoring when discussing Varejao's strengths shows your lack of bball knowledge.

My point was he looked BETTER with LeBron there.

We have an intangible guy on our team too...2x rookie of the month Landry Fields...maybe you've heard of him.

Intangibles are valuable but not at the cost of losing out on Chris Paul. And if you were a GM who chose Varejao over Paul....you'd get fired in an instant.

Be objective, not subjective and biased.
NewYorkNoPicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:57 AM   #47
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star
 
G-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,964
Default Re: Knicks To Select Dontas Montiejunas

No doubt Varejao has valuable attributes, I just wouldn't pay him that much when its possible to get a cheaper alternative who can fill the 4/5 hustle guy.
I dont wanna pay a 33 year old 9m for hustle in 2014, especially given injury history.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:58 AM   #48
Clutch
NBA Legend
 
Clutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: MSG
Posts: 16,422
Default Re: Knicks To Select Dontas Montiejunas

Quote:
It'd be interesting, we could put Amare at the 5 for stretches and throw Dontas in at the 4 to draw out the opposing teams power foward.
That's great strategy because we have so many players that can attack the rim
Wait a second...
Billups-slow chucker
Fields-can't drive
Melo-he can attack the basket but it isn't his main weapon
Motiejunas- outside
Amare-became a shooter.

Let's throw their whole team out so we can shoot even more contested threes

God,just give us a new coach and a solid center and we will be fine.
I'm not asking for Dwight,I just want a regular center.
You know,guy who can defend and rebound and not some weak ass who will get pushed around and be a liability on defense and rebounding.

Last edited by Clutch : 05-20-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:59 AM   #49
NewYorkNoPicks
National High School Star
 
NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,288
Default Re: Knicks To Select Dontas Montiejunas

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
No doubt Varejao has valuable attributes, I just wouldn't pay him that much when its possible to get a cheaper alternative who can fill the 4/5 hustle guy.
I dont wanna pay a 33 year old 9m for hustle in 2014, especially given injury history.

exactlyyyyyy
NewYorkNoPicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #50
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 27,987
Default Re: Knicks To Select Dontas Montiejunas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
My point was he looked BETTER with LeBron there.

We have an intangible guy on our team too...2x rookie of the month Landry Fields...maybe you've heard of him.

Intangibles are valuable but not at the cost of losing out on Chris Paul. And if you were a GM who chose Varejao over Paul....you'd get fired in an instant.

Be objective, not subjective and biased.
Listen, I am the one being objective... You are the one being biased.

Go tell any GM or serious basketball fan about how Rony Turiaf is better than Anderson Varejao and watch them laugh in your face.

And, having a Landry Fields is nice, but he is a perimeter player, while Varejao is a big...

Is Fields going to be giving you hard-nosed defense, rebounding and second chance opportunities against both big and athletic frontcourts?

I'm not saying Anderson Varejao is the second-coming, but he is a good player with a combination of size, athleticism and versatility that is difficult to find in this league. He would be a very nice piece for a contending team.

He also has a nice contract. There is really nothing not to like about what Varejao offers.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #51
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,341
Default Re: Knicks To Select Dontas Montiejunas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
If you've ever played or coached basketball you'd know that certain players lose confidence easily, and once it's lost they play tentatively. they second guess their decisions, and play scared, with the fear of being benched at the sign of any mistake.
Yeah, those kinds of guys usually don't do well in the Garden. At least he gets to tear it up in Minnesota for a bit, fellin' good and accomplishing nothing. No pressure. Nice life.

Quote:
Also heres another flaw in a lot of Knick fans logic regarding AR:

-If the guy is 21 years old....and just a few months prior he was probably the most coveted young prospect in the league BASED ON HIS PLAY ON THE COURT NOT JUST *possible potential*....you really think he lost it all in 5 months? He's 21 not 39....

-Rod Thorn, legendary GM, praised Donnie Walsh when he acquired him noting that he personally tried to acquire AR for over 2 years to no avail.
I was excited when we got him too. But then I saw him play, and this turned to this and then to this .

He actually looked like he was coming around a bit towards the All-Star break, and that was cool, but they needed to trade him to make the Melo deal happen, didn't they?

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter though. If the Knicks don't win a championship in the next five seasons - and let's face it, that's probably a good bet - it won't be because they traded away that idiot.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #52
NewYorkNoPicks
National High School Star
 
NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,288
Default Re: Knicks To Select Dontas Montiejunas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
That's great strategy because we have so many players that can attack the rim
Wait a second...
Billups-slow chucker
Fields-can't drive
Melo-he can attack the basket but it isn't his main weapon
Motiejunas- outside
Amare-became a shooter.

Let's throw their whole team out so we can shoot even more contested threes

Yeah I thought about our roster after I said that. We definitely do need a slasher...haven't had one for a while.

Fields can do it. He's extremely underutilized....really great ball handler for his position. I don't know what his problem was toward the end of the season, but we need to run more plays for him rather than having him stand around like Mike did with Gallinari.
NewYorkNoPicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:04 AM   #53
NewYorkNoPicks
National High School Star
 
NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,288
Default Re: Knicks To Select Dontas Montiejunas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoooter
Yeah, those kinds of guys usually don't do well in the Garden. At least he gets to tear it up in Minnesota for a bit, fellin' good and accomplishing nothing. No pressure. Nice life.


I was excited when we got him too. But then I saw him play, and this turned to this and then to this .

He actually looked like he was coming around a bit towards the All-Star break, and that was cool, but they needed to trade him to make the Melo deal happen, didn't they?

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter though. If the Knicks don't win a championship in the next five seasons - and let's face it, that's probably a good bet - it won't be because they traded away that idiot.


Well I'll tell you one thing...we could've use him against the Celtics. His length, athleticism, and shot blocking ability would've made Pierce a mortal.
NewYorkNoPicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #54
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 27,987
Default Re: Knicks To Select Dontas Montiejunas

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-train
No doubt Varejao has valuable attributes, I just wouldn't pay him that much when its possible to get a cheaper alternative who can fill the 4/5 hustle guy.
I dont wanna pay a 33 year old 9m for hustle in 2014, especially given injury history.
First of all, he is an expirer in 2014 with a TEAM OPTION for 2015. If Varejao is no longer valuable as an asset in that 2014 season, I'm sure there are a lot of teams that would like to take on his contract and simply use it as an expirer.

Secondly, it is his defensive capabilities and versatility that separates him from other 'hustle guys.' He is a very good defender and, those kind of athletic bigs who can play defense as well as get out and run the floor are at a premium in today's NBA.

Lastly, he only has been in the league for six years. As important as age (or possibly more important) is how much mileage are on your legs, joints, knees, etc. He doesn't have a ton of mileage for his age.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 05-20-2011 at 01:09 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:06 AM   #55
Scoooter
Very good NBA starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,341
Default Re: Knicks To Select Dontas Montiejunas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
Well I'll tell you one thing...we could've use him against the Celtics. His length, athleticism, and shot blocking ability would've made Pierce a mortal.
We could have used a lot of things against the Celtics.
Scoooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #56
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star
 
G-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,964
Default Re: Knicks To Select Dontas Montiejunas

Knicks should try to get Fesenko from the Jazz. He is a FA.
Plonk his next to amare to protect the basket.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:08 AM   #57
NewYorkNoPicks
National High School Star
 
NewYorkNoPicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,288
Default Re: Knicks To Select Dontas Montiejunas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Listen, I am the one being objective... You are the one being biased.

Go tell any GM or serious basketball fan about how Rony Turiaf is better than Anderson Varejao and watch them laugh in your face.

And, having a Landry Fields is nice, but he is a perimeter player, while Varejao is a big...

Is Fields going to be giving you hard-nosed defense, rebounding and second chance opportunities against both big and athletic frontcourts?

I'm not saying Anderson Varejao is the second-coming, but he is a good player with a combination of size, athleticism and versatility that is difficult to find in this league. He would be a very nice piece for a contending team.

He also has a nice contract. There is really nothing not to like about what Varejao offers.

Ok but acquiring Varejao means NO CAP SPACE IN 2012!!!!

So it's either Varejao or a shot at Paul, Deron, and Dwight Howard....and you're advocating trading for Sideshow Bob.

That makes no sense
NewYorkNoPicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:11 AM   #58
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star
 
G-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,964
Default Re: Knicks To Select Dontas Montiejunas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
First of all, he is an expirer in 2014 with a TEAM OPTION for 2015. If Varejao is no longer valuable as an asset in that 2014 season, I'm sure there are a lot of teams that would like to take on his contract and simply use it as an expirer.

Secondly, it is his defensive capabilities and versatility that separates him from other 'hustle guys.' He is a very good defender and, those kind of athletic bigs who can play defense as well as get out and run the floor are at a premium in today's NBA.

As I said he has valuable attributes. But he has a bad contract. If you want to argue that its a good contract... i dunno what to say. Meanwhile you can get a 7 foot guy to fill a rebounder/defensive role for 3-5m per season, someone who is younger even.
Sure he may not be an elite defensive presence as Andy V is, but he will be enough to fill a role and at a good price.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:12 AM   #59
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 27,987
Default Re: Knicks To Select Dontas Montiejunas

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
Ok but acquiring Varejao means NO CAP SPACE IN 2012!!!!

So it's either Varejao or a shot at Paul, Deron, and Dwight Howard....and you're advocating trading for Sideshow Bob.

That makes no sense
That's all you had to say.... And, I don't disagree with you.

My two points, though, were:

A. Even if the Knicks did want Varejao, what would they have to offer. Let's speak hypothetically, now. I realize that you don't want the trade, but for the team to even entertain the idea, you would need to have pieces that the Cavs would want. It isn't like he is a free agent.

and

B. Comparing Varejao to a Rony Turiaf is ridiculous. You don't have to want him on your team to rate him correctly.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 01:14 AM   #60
G-train
3-time NBA All-Star
 
G-train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 10,964
Default Re: Knicks To Select Dontas Montiejunas

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Lastly, he only has been in the league for six years. As important as age (or possibly more important) is how much mileage are on your legs, joints, knees, etc. He doesn't have a ton of mileage for his age.

Well I still wouldn't trade for that long term deal until I see how he returns from his ruptured right peroneal longus tendon.
G-train is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:02 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy