Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Default OFFICIAL SUSPENSIONS THREAD: Melo 15 games, Nate 10, Collins 6, Jeffries 4

http://insidehoops.com/suspensions-fight-121806.shtml

· The Knicks and Nuggets organizations have each been fined $500,000 each as a result of the altercation.
· Nuggets forward Carmelo Anthony has been suspended for 15 games.
· Knicks guard Nate Robinson has been suspended for 10 games.
· Nuggets guard J.R. Smith has been suspended for 10 games.
· Knicks guard Mardy Collins has been suspended for six games.
· Knicks forward Jared Jeffries has been suspended for four games.
· Knicks center Jerome James has been suspended for one game for leaving the bench during an on-court altercation.
· Nuggets forward Nene has been suspended one game for leaving the bench during an on-court altercation.

Last edited by insidehoops : 12-18-2006 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
Very good NBA starter

Default re

no more ASG for Anthony.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Excellent. And Nate got 10 right? Good.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:11 PM   #4
*Omni.Slasher*
Kids at the park dunk on me

Lets celebrate~!

Old 12-18-2006, 01:16 PM   #5
HHH
I hit open 5-footers

15 games is a little excessive IMO...but that's David Stern coming down with the iron fist. Expect a grievance to be filed by the Players Union to reduce the amount of games.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:19 PM   #6
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

Melo deserves it.

The fight was cooling down until he did that bítch move. Also, a sucker punch is a dangerous thing. It can be career ending. Romanowski.

Also, giving him 15 will hopefully make that hothead think 5 times before doing anything boneheaded again.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
gsxr1kryder
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Omni.Slasher*
Lets celebrate~!

people might find the suspension to be a little too harsh, but not me.I'm just glad that Stern is not backing down because it involved one of the NBA's chosen "young superstars" (melo).
I'm not saying it's right that fighting is not allowed in basketball (unlike hockey) or other sports, but everyone knew beforehand that the NBA doesn't tolerate it, so i feel the suspensions were justified.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Wow.... talk about zero tolerance....

Old 12-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #9
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I dont see the purpose in closing the other thread but ok.

Anyway before someone rudely interupting my posting...

This is a new league fellas. Stern has this image how he wants the league to be. And that is one of a professional manner where you show class, grace, sportsmanship not only to the fans but to the younger generation watching, idolizing and maybe some of them one day representing the NBA. That fight and the suspensions wasnt given so you can look back in the day and say "well they only got...". You have to look at it from a standpoint that if a fight like that happens again the penalities will be harsh. And they dont have to be consistent either. Melo gets into another fight like that and he could see the 15 turn into 20 and the half a mil by the franchise turn into a mil.

He's setting the bar, the standard and holding everyone accountable for thier actions. And well you dont have to like it (as players) but you gotta abide by the rules. This is like workin in an office and wanting to do things your way or with a twist. And your boss is ontop of you saying "This is how we do it and this is how it WILL be done". You dont like it but what are you gonna do? Resign? Ok, but NBA players cant.

We fans might have to just accept or atleast get used too and acknowledge/understand how the game is changing. Adjust to it. I have started adjusting myself and these suspensions doesnt make me think less of Stern. Thats just my opinion you can feel completely opposite.

And to reply to Heretik because the other thread is closed (why not merged?)...the NFL also does petty stuff as well. I dont know if players have been fined, written up or spoken too about warmups and if everyone is abiding by the rules. But i know in teh NFL there is a person who goes around and checks each teams uniforms. If a sock is pulled down lower than the standard they make note and sometimes fine. Socks, shoes all types of silly things. That has been going on for years. Called the "Fashion patrol". So i guess the warmups is similar. I think most of the rules were already in place and Stern just said he would enforce them. Dunno if he has as far as he petty ones tho. Havent heard someone getting fined for swaying during the national anthem or wearing warmups. But Ben Wallace headband was a "team" thing i believe. Eh, didnt he get fined or asked to take it off? Its lame but it hasnt bothered me none yet. Maybe it wont.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:48 PM   #10
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

Default .

Nate should be suspended just as long as Melo. 20 games each.

Embarassing the league should be taken more seriously.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:54 PM   #11
yobore
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
Nate should be suspended just as long as Melo. 20 games each.

Embarassing the league should be taken more seriously.

I think he was pretty fair. Melo was involved in more parts of it than anyone and actually threw a punch. I knew Nate and JR would get the same # because JR actually started the physical contact while Nate really is the one who made him do it.

Stern explained himself well. Fights won't be tolerated.

I had always complained about how the media makes the very rare NBA fights so much bigger than Baseball and Hockey fights and I liked his response to that question.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:56 PM   #12
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

when you see the footage, what embarasses you more?

melo punching someone or a midget trying to act tough cause he won a dunk contest in 50 tries?
Old 12-18-2006, 01:57 PM   #13
bagelred
My team always wins

If those are actualy suspensions, the league is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY out of hand. Those are way too much.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:59 PM   #14
JSub
Decent college freshman

Perfect suspension lengths given to all players. I agree with Stern for once.
Old 12-18-2006, 02:01 PM   #15
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
If those are actualy suspensions, the league is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY out of hand. Those are way too much.

It was done to players think twice about fighting
It was done so franchises think twice about who they sign and how they handle players who can get out of control.
It was done to show Stern isnt playing and the image of the league is huge. How the NBA is percieving by the masses, by younger kids is great.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Closed Thread