Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Denver Nuggets Forum

Denver Nuggets Forum Denver Nuggets forum - Denver Nuggets message board

Closed Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 03:01 PM   #16
saKf
Roy = my new fave.

The NBA promotes the "superstar image" and its connection with African-American urban culture because of how much revenue it brings them, then suspends players for nearly 20% of the season after getting in a fight and institutes a dress code to discourage that very image.

Just pick one.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:03 PM   #17
shadow
Laker fan here

glad to see robinson got 10 games vs the 5 i was expecting. He clearly helped escelate the situation. Melo, man I was liking the kid this year but that sucker punch means he deserves it. Probably should get more if you consider how he threw it and tried to run away but I guess they don't penalize cowadice :p
Old 12-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #18
yobore
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
If those are actualy suspensions, the league is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY out of hand. Those are way too much.
read the transcript he explained why pretty well.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:10 PM   #19
adamcz
Bucks fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
If those are actualy suspensions, the league is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY out of hand. Those are way too much.
If I got in a fistfight at work, I'd get suspended for way more than 15 days. More like forever.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:10 PM   #20
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man

What the hell does Stern think? Does he want a bunch of sissys out there? Even in the Knicks-Miami brawls of the nineties, nobody was fined like this. Dennis Rodman kicked a camera guy in the nuts and got 13 games. That dude is clearly out of his mind. He is hurting the NBA more with this, than the brawl did. I dont give a damn if people beat each other up, hell, its entertaining. But I am not going to watch a damn Denver game, when Melo is not playing. All the stuff that is going on in the last couple of years is ridiculous. Next time I check, Stern wants the players to wear ballet costumes and we'll have an evening of Tschaikovsky instead on some real sport. I sure as hell wont watch any Miami games either, cause with the way Wade is reffed, Stern has already instituded his ballet stuff there. Maybe he is gay and wants big bad black men in pink costumes to violate his as*.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:17 PM   #21
yobore
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvenile
What the hell does Stern think? Does he want a bunch of sissys out there? Even in the Knicks-Miami brawls of the nineties, nobody was fined like this. Dennis Rodman kicked a camera guy in the nuts and got 13 games. That dude is clearly out of his mind. He is hurting the NBA more with this, than the brawl did. I dont give a damn if people beat each other up, hell, its entertaining. But I am not going to watch a damn Denver game, when Melo is not playing. All the stuff that is going on in the last couple of years is ridiculous. Next time I check, Stern wants the players to wear ballet costumes and we'll have an evening of Tschaikovsky instead on some real sport. I sure as hell wont watch any Miami games either, cause with the way Wade is reffed, Stern has already instituded his ballet stuff there. Maybe he is gay and wants big bad black men in pink costumes to violate his as*.
Do you never read the media after a fight or talk to ppl at work or whatever? Every time there is a fight people begin talking about the big black men and their thuggish behavior. Stern knows that his league is under a lot more scrutiny because the players don't have helmets and long sleeves. Basketball can't tolerate fights because certain people are quick to call NBA players thugs. Stern is protecting the league.

Last edited by yobore : 12-18-2006 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #22
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:

Stern feels that these professional athletes can conduct themselves as professionals while setting an example to the public. The violent nature of the game is being eliminated and weeded out. So while you want to sit there watching Gladiator "Are you not entertained!?" events? You'll be watching for a looooooong time before you ever see that again. This isnt Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome. That is what Stern doesnt want...a collection of fans watching athletes physically harm each other by violent acts (only allowed in football), by fighting like HBo Boxing after the Dark. You may enjoy that for Stern doesnt and he feels others as well see it his way. And he wants the image cleaned up especially when MLB has an image issue dealing with steroids, performance enhancing drugs and so forth. Each league is competiting with one another for who has the best image and who sets the perfect example of what a professional is.

I dont think Stern is gay, wants them to wear ballet outfits, sit with thier legs crossed. He wants them to be professional.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:27 PM   #23
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man

I consider myself more or less as an average conservative (though not american) who is not involved in too many fights through his life and of course I dont see much entertainment in this fight. But I dont want to see the WNBA either, I want to see a real basketball league. A league where men were playing each other at some point. The NBA only is a watered down mockery of real sport, a corporate sterile league that does everything possible to promote certain types of players deemed worth it, even if it involves changing the rules. 80ies and 90ies league NBA was fun, because nobody tampered with the game. Stern has been doing this for quite some time now.
White america watches football players beating the hell of their opponents every week. A punch now is too much? Of course the involved players have to be suspended, but 15 games?

Bird recieved a 4 game suspension, when he and Dr.J were hitting and choking each other. 15 games for a sucker punch?

Last edited by Juvenile : 12-18-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:30 PM   #24
TheBynumProject
Byonic

Sucks as a Nugs fan, but its not like Stern has some personal vendetta against Melo. What happened embarassed the L, and the commish had no choice but to come down hard. I think 10 was plently for Melo, but I'm not going to argue with the commish. You have to set an example.

Denver is going to be in trouble without Melo and JR over the next month. DerMarr Johnson and Lenus Kleiza will have to step up big time.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:36 PM   #25
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

Quote:
I consider myself more or less as an average conservative (though not american). And I dont want to see the WNBA, but the real league. A league where men were playing each other at some point. White america watches football players beating the hell of their opponents every week. A punch now is too much? Of course the involved players have to be suspended, but 15 games?

Bird recieved a 4 game suspension, when he and Dr.J were hitting and choking each other. 15 games for a sucker punch?

This is the problem. The league didnt have an image problem back then when that happened. Bird and Dr J werent percieved like Carmelo Anthony is percieved today. Thats the problem here. Guys now are being considered "thugs" for fighting, brawls (cant defend the malace at the palace) when before they werent. Charles Oakley is considered an "enforcer" and some fans sigh and wish the Detroit Bad Boys style of player still existed today. But they were never considered thugs to my knowledge. "Bad Boys" was about as far as it went.

Times have changed and so has the leagues image. Thats why Lebrom all smiles James is being promoted. Thats why the golden boy Kobe Bryant was being promoted as the face of the league. All about image.

Football is going thru the same changes. You cant touch the QB nowadays. Back then? You could bodyslam the QB. Back then guys were getting speared with the crown of thier helemts. A lot of stuff went on back then that has been eliminated and/or lessened today. You get in trouble for celebrating but back then Deion Sanders had videos in the endzone...all he was missing was his backup dancers. Now? 15yd penalty, fine, warnings.

So what happened back then happened back then and no longer has any relation to today. So you cant continue to look back and point to this and that and compare to today. Sern has spoke on this so I'm basically relaying his points so to speak here. Some things i dont agree with, others i do. But most importantly i acknowledge what he attempting to do. NFL is doing the same as well. Wont say i side with it but i understand, i get it. Not many do because they still are lookin at the photo with Dr J choking Bird and then lookin at Melo sucker punching someone and getting 15gms.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:38 PM   #26
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

I also think Melo's image off the court may have been a reason Stern didnt feel the need to cut him any slack. I dont think Lebron James gets 15 if he did the same thing as Melo. I may be wrong but I'd like to believe Bron gets 8-10 (the most and i doubt stern would go there).
Old 12-18-2006, 03:38 PM   #27
yobore
Great college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
So what happened back then happened back then and no longer has any relation to today. So you cant continue to look back and point to this and that and compare to today. Sern has spoke on this so I'm basically relaying his points so to speak here. Some things i dont agree with, others i do. But most importantly i acknowledge what he attempting to do. NFL is doing the same as well. Wont say i side with it but i understand, i get it. Not many do because they still are lookin at the photo with Dr J choking Bird and then lookin at Melo sucker punching someone and getting 15gms.
touche
Old 12-18-2006, 03:39 PM   #28
XxNeXuSxX
The Master Debater

WHO F'N CALLED IT!?!

That's right, me.

Quote:
Melo, 15 games (Pencil that in!)

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22191

Last edited by XxNeXuSxX : 12-18-2006 at 03:46 PM.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #29
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamcz
If I got in a fistfight at work, I'd get suspended for way more than 15 days. More like forever.

Don't be dumb and overly trivial. Does your work involve competing and playing with emotions?...If it doesn't, then don't compare playing pro. sports with your desk job. The only fistfight you're getting into is with your d!ck.

The punishment is very harsh. These guys go out there competing, it is expected that they're going to act out once in a while. Hockey players fight all the time, I don't see people throwing 15 game suspensions around. I've seen fights in other sports, 15 games is flat out excessive and I expect it to be reduced.
Old 12-18-2006, 03:40 PM   #30
TheBynumProject
Byonic

I think Stern went extra hard on Melo not becasue of his precieved image, but because he is a big name and a tourch-bearer of the NBA.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Closed Thread