Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-24-2011, 02:07 PM   #1
chris2010
Good High School Starter

Default I think dirk could play and be elite till he is 40

Is it just me or does anyone else see this? his game just looks like it cant age. People lately have been acting like hes raised his play but to be honest he has been doing stuff like this for many years. Its just this year he had the perfect storm of having a good combination of teams to go up against. Not to take anything away from him he is a great player.

But question, do you believe he could play till he is 40 and still be elite?
chris2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:10 PM   #2
Kingwillball
NBA All-star

Default Re: I think dirk could play and be elite till he is 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2010
Is it just me or does anyone else see this? his game just looks like it cant age. People lately have been acting like hes raised his play but to be honest he has been doing stuff like this for many years. Its just this year he had the perfect storm of having a good combination of teams to go up against. Not to take anything away from him he is a great player.

But question, do you believe he could play till he is 40 and still be elite?

If He stays Injury Free can certainly play at a high level for a few more years but His Defense and Rebounding Will become even more of a Liability.
Kingwillball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
The Judge
Decent playground baller

It's hard to notice, but his game relies a lot on his speed. Especially when he has bigger defenders on him. His game also relies a lot on agility. That's the way he hits a lot of those difficult shots. If he loses those attributes, he could slip a bit, but he will always have that shooting touch and I could see him playing well for a long time.

I'm thinking Karl Malone. When Malone developed that fadeaway jumpshot, he extended his career close to 10 years. Dirk already has that shot.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:16 PM   #4
TennesseeFan
Banned

Nah. He can be a good scorer off the bench though.
TennesseeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:21 PM   #5
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Judge
It's hard to notice, but his game relies a lot on his speed. Especially when he has bigger defenders on him. His game also relies a lot on agility. That's the way he hits a lot of those difficult shots. If he loses those attributes, he could slip a bit, but he will always have that shooting touch and I could see him playing well for a long time.

I'm thinking Karl Malone. When Malone developed that fadeaway jumpshot, he extended his career close to 10 years. Dirk already has that shot.

I agree with this. I think he can have a long career bc he has been injury free his entire career, but his game is elusively predicated on a high level of agility and top foot work. Age will always slow this down, no matter who it is. He has the ability to get off off balanced one legged fade aways because of his quickness and great foot work. This wont be there at 40.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Dirk can play until he's 50. If you got Dirk around the 3 pt line, someone is going to have to run out to him. But he won't be elite at 40.

Those step back one legged fadeaways require athleticism, that won't last at 40. All that twisting and turning also needs quickness, that won't last at 40 neither
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
I agree with this. I think he can have a long career bc he has been injury free his entire career, but his game is elusively predicated on a high level of agility and top foot work. Age will always slow this down, no matter who it is. He has the ability to get off off balanced one legged fade aways because of his quickness and great foot work. This wont be there at 40.

He will not be elite at 40. But unless there's a crop of 7 foot power forwards who can leap is coming into the league, he's still going to be able to get that shot off. The question is how accurate will he be as he ages? You can tell that he is taking advantage of the elite and specialized training that athletes do today. You can see that in this video of him training. He does these shooting drills with exaggerated movements that builds his core and his agility, because he if can make the awkward shots he practices, then the real shots in the game, will come easier. You can be sure that this type of training wasn't available to Jerry West or Perhaps even Chris Mullin.
KevinNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
MavsPoke
High School JV MVP

I'm just gonna leave this here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6t9L8GyRrY
MavsPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:43 PM   #9
SCdac
NBA rookie of the year

as long as he's on teams in which he can get away with grabbing just 4-7 boards in a playoff game and not even 1 steal or block a game, I think longevity won't be a huge problem. surround a player with a great team and his flaws are easier to cover up and he can play to his strengths, put him on a team that relies on him to be any kind of defensive anchor and I think that team is in trouble (even when he was younger, let alone when he loses a step or two).
SCdac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:47 PM   #10
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
He will not be elite at 40. But unless there's a crop of 7 foot power forwards who can leap is coming into the league, he's still going to be able to get that shot off. The question is how accurate will he be as he ages? You can tell that he is taking advantage of the elite and specialized training that athletes do today. You can see that in this video of him training. He does these shooting drills with exaggerated movements that builds his core and his agility, because he if can make the awkward shots he practices, then the real shots in the game, will come easier. You can be sure that this type of training wasn't available to Jerry West or Perhaps even Chris Mullin.

He has great work ethic and he can be a contributor late in his 30's, but no matter how hard players train, age will always catch up. He will no longer be able to twist and spin and fade like he is doing now. He will still have game no doubt, but he wont be able to get off those shots as consistently as he does now.
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
PP34Deuce
Good college starter

He and Paul Pierce have been the fewest star players that have aged really good.

Mike Bibby is same age as these guys and you cant tell because he looks so slow and gone
VC dogged it but hes not the same either
PP34Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
FKAri
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC

Add body control to that otherwise DHoward should be able to shut Dirk down. But you and I both know he wouldn't be able to keep up with Dirk on the perimeter w/o tripping over himself.
FKAri is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: