Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 05-23-2011, 04:53 PM   #1
bluerap
Local High School Star

Default Valanciunas ahead of Kanter on Raptors draft board

According to

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...ug=ycn-8514315
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
kmart
No props needed

Default Re: Valanciunas ahead of Kanter on Raptors draft board

It also says Cleveland's draft board too, so many Kanter does drop to us.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #3
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I like both based on what I've read and seen (very little). It's up to the scouts and management to actually get right now.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #4
BRabbiT

he could be decent.
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 07:54 PM   #5
rosonviyavong
Raps, Jazz, and UCONN

Ima riot if we draft Valanciunas but at the same time I'll be ready to eat my words in the next year
rosonviyavong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Hopefully Val's buyout situation is manageable assuming that there is not lockout next season. His Euro team has apparently hired a lawyer with experience in that regard. I like the fact that he's played against much better competition in the past year and has been able to produce in the Euroleague.

Kanter's stock is very heavily weighted (moreso because of his inactivity last year) on his upcoming workouts.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
bluerap
Local High School Star

I'd much rather get Val, than Kanter.

My pick is narrowed to Val or Kemba.

Val>Kanter
Kemba>Knight
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Jballer
Local High School Star

I have only gathered the "internet scouting on Valanciunas".

My question is : is the man NBA ready ? 75% 80% 90%

Cause the bennefit of Knight or Walker is that both are likely 75% NBA ready now. Sure they will make rookie mistakes - sure there will be aspects of their game that needs working on - but PGs more or less contribute NOW.

Big men on the other hand seem to be like 5 year projects. See Bynum - see Oden - see Thabeet - see etc etc etc

Well 5 years is too long.

In 5 years :

Demar Derozan will have signed his 1st rookie cap increase extention for 1 -5 years depending on the direction of the team. Less than 5 years if Lbron Dwade and Bosh set precident for "superstar" mobility.

Amirs deal is up.

Ed Davis will be coming up in a similar fashion. Bayliss/Johnson ditto.

I would rather draft they guy that will mature with this young core now - mature and learn to win. You can then tinker at the edges with other vetern players of any time that are complimentry to needs (3 point range?) and or winning attitude.

Like the years we brought Oakley in to lead the way in metal toughness.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 09:44 PM   #9
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jballer
I have only gathered the "internet scouting on Valanciunas".

My question is : is the man NBA ready ? 75% 80% 90%

Cause the bennefit of Knight or Walker is that both are likely 75% NBA ready now. Sure they will make rookie mistakes - sure there will be aspects of their game that needs working on - but PGs more or less contribute NOW.

Big men on the other hand seem to be like 5 year projects. See Bynum - see Oden - see Thabeet - see etc etc etc

Well 5 years is too long.

In 5 years :

Demar Derozan will have signed his 1st rookie cap increase extention for 1 -5 years depending on the direction of the team. Less than 5 years if Lbron Dwade and Bosh set precident for "superstar" mobility.

Amirs deal is up.

Ed Davis will be coming up in a similar fashion. Bayliss/Johnson ditto.

I would rather draft they guy that will mature with this young core now - mature and learn to win. You can then tinker at the edges with other vetern players of any time that are complimentry to needs (3 point range?) and or winning attitude.

Like the years we brought Oakley in to lead the way in metal toughness.

Disagree with the whole 5 year development curve. Guards do trend towards producing a bit earlier in their careers but I just don't see these bigs that you speak of that are useless for 5 years before becoming NBA players. Especially regarding top 5-10 players, usually you can get a good read on a player before 5 years.

Bynum has been in the league for 5 years (and had become a good NBA centre years ago).

Oden has already shown he can play (his injuries shouldn't be used to downplay his ability and extra years of development would not change that).

Thabeet was a heavily derided pick even during the draft (but to be fair I guess, he hasn't played 5 years so he may back your point up).

Just looking at some past big men in the top 10 of past drafts:

Yao
Howard (even as a HS pick)
Chandler (HS pick)
Biedrins (18 I believe)
Aldridge
Bargnani (barring any unforeseen expansion of his game)
Bogut
Kaman
Cousins
Monroe
Gasol
etc

Yes you have certains late bloomer cases such as Jermaine O'Neal (due to PT issues) but big men picked high and given minutes will show development at reasonable rate. These "projects" are usually higher risk picks taken in lower draft slots, or just plain busts.

Toronto should be comfortable taking the BPA period, without any consideration of an extra 2-3 wins next season or the one after. DeRozan and Davis are nice players but not worth making such a short sighted decision. That may be tough to ask of BC however with his 2 year contract.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 07:10 PM   #10
Jballer
Local High School Star

Well I agree to disagree cause even in your list I think there are some very argueable cases to be made around bigs and 4-5 years.

I mean Gasol has been around what 5 years now? 3 years playing 1st line minutes with the Griz admittedly - but he was a Laker product before. I would argue that this is the season he hit his project potential.

You mention Jermaine but also consdier:

Lamarcus Aldridge - 1st step up year last year
Marcus Camby and his first few years
Channing Frye in the Suns organization
Darko M Pistons
etc

I think the ratio of 75% ready first year to "project" might at the very best be a 50 50 proposition and frankly I dont know enough of either Val or Kantar and which side of the equation they are on.

I admit as much.

My fear is both are on the 5 year plan.

Either way I think we do agree that "generally" PGs and 2's add value more quickly and my point is to add young talent with a very close and similar developement curve ; in the absence of knowing if these two big men are longer term projects.

A "young solid starter at point" for the 5 years is far better for this team than a "young project at the 5" for the next 5 years.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: