Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #1
Hoopz2332
College star

Default TNT reconsiders putting Charles Barkley in front of Miami Heat fans

TNT reconsiders putting Charles Barkley in front of Miami Heat fans

Quote:
In the wake of a wild scene Sunday night outside of AmericanAirlines Arena, Charles Barkley apparently may be given refuge from rabid Miami Heat fans.

With TNT's studio crew broadcasting outside the arena following the Heat's 96-85 victory over the Chicago Bulls in Game 3 of the NBA Eastern Conference finals, Barkley became the focus of intense jeering and other acts of derision in the wake of his recent criticism of the Heat.

Having called the Heat a "whiny bunch" earlier in this best-of-seven series, which the Heat now lead 2-1, Barkley playfully responded to the chants at one point with a middle-finger salute from each raised hand.

A fan then threw what appeared to be a T-shirt at the Hall of Fame forward while he was on the temporary set of TNT's popular studio program.

Monday, in the wake of an inquiry from the Sun Sentinel, Jeff Behnke, Turner Sports senior vice president and executive producer, released the following statement:

"We appreciate the tremendous enthusiasm of the fans and all that they bring to our live coverage. As we continue with our coverage of the Eastern Conference Finals, we are evaluating the best options for presenting our studio show live from Miami."

The TNT set remained in place Monday by the west steps of AmericanAirlines Arena.

Barkley, speaking on WQAM Monday afternoon, appeared to welcome the confrontational approach.

"You know those people can yell and scream but they don't have the hair on their (butt) to grab me," he said. "They don't have enough hair on their (butts) to walk up to me man to man and say, 'Let's do this.'

"All that yelling and screaming just makes me laugh, man."

Barkley found Sunday's scene amusing.

"They were telling me I suck," he said. "They were telling me I never won a championship. Like, 'Come on, give me something better than that, dude.'

"I always laugh at that statement, 'You didn't get a ring.' I'm like, 'Dude, you work at McDonald's.' My life's a lot better than yours. You relax.' "

Barkley said the rough moments were more the exception than the rule.

"Most of the fans are cool," he said. "There's always going to be a couple of idiots. People think if you don't pick their team to win, you don't like them.

"I picked Chicago to win the series, and the Miami fans are bent out of shape. But they'll get over it. I don't take it personally.

"We go through this every couple of years when we travel. If you don't pick somebody's team, their fans become idiots. But you don't take that personally. As long as they're watching the show, that's all that I care about."

Barkley, along with host Ernie Johnson and fellow analysts Kenny Smith and Kevin McHale, broadcast the studio show at Sunday's halftime from a perch above one of the tunnels inside AmericanAirlines Arena during Game 3, before then taking the coverage outside for the postgame show.

The Turner studio broadcasts all were handled inside the United Center for Game 1 and Game 2 of this series in Chicago.

http://www.chicagobreakingsports.com...,6342268.story

Charles Barkley Gives Heat Fans The Finger for Barkley Sucks Chants

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tpHS6zVVZWc

Hoopz2332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:57 PM   #2
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

Default Re: TNT reconsiders putting Charles Barkley in front of Miami Heat fans

Quote:
"I always laugh at that statement, 'You didn't get a ring.' I'm like, 'Dude, you work at McDonald's.' My life's a lot better than yours. You relax.' "

lol, vintage Barkley
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
bagelred
Stare

Quote:

Charles continued:

Quote:
"You wouldn't catch me dead in a McDonald's. But you know what I do like? Taco Bell. I love it. The $5 Buck Box. It rocks. It rocks."
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:03 PM   #4
Mr. I'm So Rad
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Charles continued:

Ownage and advertisement all in one
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
Patrick Chewing
O.G. Shot Caller

Reason why Miami fans are the worst. I mean not showing up till the 3rd quarter of your teams games and even then just sitting there not cheering at all is bad enough, but to throw shit at people??
Patrick Chewing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #6
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
Reason why Miami fans are the worst. I mean not showing up till the 3rd quarter of your teams games and even then just sitting there not cheering at all is bad enough, but to throw shit at people??
typical of front running bandwagoneers. Dont even care to show up on time and then get so puffed up and proud of "their" win that they act like idiots.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:13 PM   #7
Turkododo
I rule the local playground

lol, Kenny Smith was doing a little dance shuffle to the "*uck you Chuck" chants at one point. they weren't in danger or anything, so i really doubt they took the chants seriously.
Turkododo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #8
Pursuer
Dunking on everybody in the park

"We go through this every couple of years when we travel. If you don't pick somebody's team, their fans become idiots. But you don't take that personally. As long as they're watching the show, that's all that I care about."

That's all he had to say.
Pursuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
Noble6-AC45
Not airballing my layups anymore

the miami *fans* suck, seriously they dont like basketball they only go to the arena only to get drunk and act like idiots
Noble6-AC45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
kkling

Barkley should not be interacting with fans, he is not so bright. he would most certainly be working at McDonalds if he wasn't tall/athletic.
Old 05-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #11
Apocalyptic0n3
The End Is Near

I love Barkley. It doesn't matter who it is, he doesn't give a shit about them and would rather criticize them for his own enjoyment than give props. He's the only thing that makes All Star Weekend bearable anymore.
Apocalyptic0n3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:36 PM   #12
step_back
College superstar

Brilliant!
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:37 PM   #13
Clutch
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by step_back

Brilliant!
Barkley owned them
Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #14
D.J.
NBA lottery pick

Charles is a top 20 player of all-time. Ring or no ring, I'm sure he doesn't consider his life to be a failure.

Quote:

D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:41 PM   #15
step_back
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch
Barkley owned them

There really is no comeback to that statement. Barkley might not have a ring but he is a top 50 player of all time and the only player on the Heat I would take over him is LeBron.
step_back is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: