Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 05-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #376
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Sources: Mike Brown named coach of the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
I agree I think laker fans are being a bit too rash right now. The guy hasn't coached a game for the lakers. He did well with the cleveland squad in his first two years. some series losses can be blamed to lebron's tanking. Its unfair to judge him based on the ending in cleveland.

He's a defensive master mind. This is the same type of coaching as guys like poppovich and avery johnson. Just sit back and give him a chance. Geez!

I agree that that he did well in Cleveland with Lebron on the team. My question is Didn't Rudy T. also do GREAT in HOuston with Hakeem back then? Lakers were so impressed with Rudy and his TWO rings that they let Phil go and look what happened?
Im not saying Mike Brown will be a disaster but there are MORE risks involved when you hire a coach with less coaching experience as compared to Jeff Van Gundy and Adelman who BOTH coached with TWO or more teams and both did relatively well with less talent and have to deal with major injuries.
I also agree that Mike is a good defensive coach but my question is why not hire him as the defensive coordinator instead? We are not talking about a small market team here. Lakers paid Phil 12 Mil/yr, why not bring in Adelman and have Mike assist him ala coach Thibs for the Celtics in 2008-2009?
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:37 PM   #377
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
I agree that that he did well in Cleveland with Lebron on the team. My question is Didn't Rudy T. also do GREAT in HOuston with Hakeem back then? Lakers were so impressed with Rudy and his TWO rings that they let Phil go and look what happened?
Im not saying Mike Brown will be a disaster but there are MORE risks involved when you hire a coach with less coaching experience as compared to Jeff Van Gundy and Adelman who BOTH coached with TWO or more teams and both did relatively well with less talent and have to deal with major injuries.
I also agree that Mike is a good defensive coach but my question is why not hire him as the defensive coordinator instead? We are not talking about a small market team here. Lakers paid Phil 12 Mil/yr, why not bring in Adelman and have Mike assist him ala coach Thibs for the Celtics in 2008-2009?
How many rings do Van Gundy and Adleman have to show for having all that experience?
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:26 AM   #378
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA sixth man of the year

Lakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputationLakers_Kobe_Fan has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BØBØ
How many rings do Van Gundy and Adleman have to show for having all that experience?

this..Idont even know if JVG wants to be a coach anymore...

I heard his press conference today and I am OK to give him a chance and see where it goes..

The lakers needed 300% defensive mentality and this guy is strong in it and will give 100% emphasis on DEFENSE...
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 12:57 AM   #379
bladefd
Good college starter

bladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbladefd is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Mike Brown named new Lakers head coach

Mike Brown is saying and doing all the right things so far. I will give him a season, see how he does. If he looks clueless like he did with the Cavs in 4th quarters, only then will I get upset. I think the least we can do is give him a chance. I know I was not on-board with his signing, but hey, might as well give him a shot... See how he does with our roster. We have a great team in place that lacks not skills and teamwork but the right attitude. Team seemed to be completely out of sync this playoff and somewhat too complacent even when the issues were obvious at times..
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:22 AM   #380
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Can you spell myopia?
So Horry is much better than Karl Malone and Barkley bec he has rings?
Are you saying Rudy T and Paul Westhead are better coaches than Jerry Sloan and Hubie Brown bec they have rings?
You need to look BEYOND the rings and see how they fared in relation to the kind of lineup they had, plus their ability to win inspite of major injuries.
Old 06-01-2011, 03:11 AM   #381
Erathia
Local High School Star

Erathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this boardErathia is popular on this board

Quote:
Can you spell myopia?
Are you saying Rudy T and Paul Westhead are better coaches than Jerry Sloan and Hubie Brown bec they have rings?
You need to look BEYOND the rings and see how they fared in relation to the kind of lineup they had, plus their ability to win inspite of major injuries.

I think it is different for players, players build and define themselves on the court. Great players are clearly visible to everyone.

Coaches jobs hing on the winning of championships, especially in Lakerland. I'm not saying that Mike Brown is in the same boat as Sloan or Hubie coaching wise, but championships are a valid point to assess.

I think Mike Brown had a great regular season in Cleveland, but its in the playoffs that you build a legacy. A lot of Cleveland's failures were placed on Lebron and how he quit last season. The Cavs gave good effort and just ran into better teams. The year they got to the finals, they got sweep by the Spurs because the Spurs were clearly more talented, no one should act like they weren't. Mike Brown deserves a chance to coach a game before we all shout for his Pink Slip!
Erathia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:21 AM   #382
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

You also forgot to mention how well phil did with jordan and pippen, and how well he did with prime shaq and explosive kobe. What difference does it make? Every team in the league that wants to win needs to have talent more than anything.

Adelman has been in the league for only God knows how many years now. What has he done? Has he even been to the finals? I dont think so. Mike Brown is still a fairly new coach, but has just enough experience to be able to be a head coach.

Lastly, I know that football has defensive coordinators. Does the NBA?
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:55 AM   #383
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

Quote:
Can you spell myopia?
Myopia, you didn't capitalize so i have to ask you the same question.

No Horry is not better but then he wasn't the team leader now was he? That's a horrible analogy but thanks for playing.

You don't look BEYOND the rings because that's the sole responsibility for a Head Coach to drive a team to a title. Adleman has had some very good teams very very good teams don't even go down that road because he fell short mostly from a very weak defensive scheme but also because he's not a coach who can't make game to game adjustments. Sloan same thing, regular season coach incapable of making the game to game adjustments required in the playoffs (why are you bringing up Sloan he was never in the Lakers plans)

Not seeing why you think pointing out a successful coach Like Rudy T adds anything to your thoughts, he did take a team to the finals twice and won so I'm not sure where you're going unless his health problems later in his career are something you want to point out as a Rockets or Laker failure.
A point of fact Rudy_T made those finals by knocking Sloan out of the playoffs twice and Adleman once, but then everyone knocks Sloan and Adleman out of the playoffs because they are regular season coaches.

Adleman has come out and said he was interviewed by the Lakers twice and told them he didn't even know if he wanted to coach next year and is actually more interested in a front office job so anyone trying to pin this on the Lakers is the one suffering from M y o p i a
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:11 PM   #384
LA_Showtime
Call me the Mamba

LA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLA_Showtime is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

We're getting a great head coach. The reputation he has because of his time in Cleveland is ridiculous. They had little talent, and LeBron's propensity to break the offense didn't help. I think Brown's the perfect coach to help this team contend for another 1-2 years.
LA_Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 01:25 PM   #385
DKLaker

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Can you spell myopia?

Adelman definitely wins the Title if not for a last second desperation 3 by Horry.......Kings would've killed the Nets that year.

Adelman took us to game 7 missing his 2 best players Yao & TMac

How about the style of TEAM BALL his teams played

That's proof enough for me!!!!

But nevermind, some guys will continue to drink Brown Kool-Aid.......what flavor is that???? Lol.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #386
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

What can you guys tell me about Frank Hamblen? He's rumored as a potential candidate in Indiana if/when Vogel returns.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:54 PM   #387
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this boardCrown&Coke is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
What can you guys tell me about Frank Hamblen? He's rumored as a potential candidate in Indiana if/when Vogel returns.

he's a no-nonsense type coach. he doesn't pussyfoot around, if something needs to be said he will say it, no matter who it is.

Hamblen is a good asst. coach
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:41 PM   #388
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
You also forgot to mention how well phil did with jordan and pippen, and how well he did with prime shaq and explosive kobe. What difference does it make? Every team in the league that wants to win needs to have talent more than anything.

Adelman has been in the league for only God knows how many years now. What has he done? Has he even been to the finals? I dont think so. Mike Brown is still a fairly new coach, but has just enough experience to be able to be a head coach.

Lastly, I know that football has defensive coordinators. Does the NBA?

I don't know how young are you but I seemed to remember Rick leading the Portland TrailBlazers to the finals TWICE in the 90's. Yes, they didn't win bec the bowed out to the mighty CHICAGO BULLS.
You might also want to see DKlaker's post about how he did really well in giving the Lakers HELL in 2008 without TWO of their best players.
IMO, he did really well in Sacramento but he just ran into Phil with Kobe and Shaq, quite frankly, it's REALLY hard to beat those guys when your players like CWebb and Peja actually CHOKING in game 7, peja shooting like 20% while CWebb had ZERO shots make in the last 15 mins of the game.
Look, unlike Browns critics, Im not saying he is stupid, nor am I predicting his downfall, all Im implying is that choosing him is more risky as compared to coaches who did well in atleast TWO coaching stints rather than one coaching gig (im referring to handling key players in ball clubs and not in years).
Old 06-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #389
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Myopia, you didn't capitalize so i have to ask you the same question.

No Horry is not better but then he wasn't the team leader now was he? That's a horrible analogy but thanks for playing.

You don't look BEYOND the rings because that's the sole responsibility for a Head Coach to drive a team to a title. Adleman has had some very good teams very very good teams don't even go down that road because he fell short mostly from a very weak defensive scheme but also because he's not a coach who can't make game to game adjustments. Sloan same thing, regular season coach incapable of making the game to game adjustments required in the playoffs (why are you bringing up Sloan he was never in the Lakers plans)

Not seeing why you think pointing out a successful coach Like Rudy T adds anything to your thoughts, he did take a team to the finals twice and won so I'm not sure where you're going unless his health problems later in his career are something you want to point out as a Rockets or Laker failure.
A point of fact Rudy_T made those finals by knocking Sloan out of the playoffs twice and Adleman once, but then everyone knocks Sloan and Adleman out of the playoffs because they are regular season coaches.

Adleman has come out and said he was interviewed by the Lakers twice and told them he didn't even know if he wanted to coach next year and is actually more interested in a front office job so anyone trying to pin this on the Lakers is the one suffering from M y o p i a

Health reasons my butt. PUHLEEEZZZZZ, Im not saying Rudy T is stupid bec he is NOT(im simply saying he is not great) but having one of the greatest centers in the history of basketball made him look like a genius and he was EXPOSED the moment he was not coaching Hakeem in his team anymore.
I don't really know why some of you are really fixated on rings because you have to look at the situationS to figure out whose good and whose not. It's not the coaches fault if some of their players choke in crucial situations.
YOu put Sloan or Adelman in that Houston team with Hakeem and some good players like Drexler and Cassell and they win for sure. Paul Westhead got super lucky in LA to win ONE ring and look where he is now...
Hubie Brown, Adelman, Jeff Van Gundy etc are great coaches imo, but it's plain stupid to rate them lower than coaches who won just bec they didn't win any rings. Larry Brown is a great coach who was lucky enough to win one, but I must say he was extremely fortunate that Karl Malone got injured bec if Karl didn't, he would have been ringless by now.

Last edited by tamaraw08 : 06-02-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #390
DKLaker

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
I don't know how young are you but I seemed to remember Rick leading the Portland TrailBlazers to the finals TWICE in the 90's. Yes, they didn't win bec the bowed out to the mighty CHICAGO BULLS.
You might also want to see DKlaker's post about how he did really well in giving the Lakers HELL in 2008 without TWO of their best players.
IMO, he did really well in Sacramento but he just ran into Phil with Kobe and Shaq, quite frankly, it's REALLY hard to beat those guys when your players like CWebb and Peja actually CHOKING in game 7, peja shooting like 20% while CWebb had ZERO shots make in the last 15 mins of the game.
Look, unlike Browns critics, Im not saying he is stupid, nor am I predicting his downfall, all Im implying is that choosing him is more risky as compared to coaches who did well in atleast TWO coaching stints rather than one coaching gig (im referring to handling key players in ball clubs and not in years).

Yeah....Lakerfreak is young, but still a great guy however he needs to listen to us on this one

Last edited by DKLaker : 06-02-2011 at 09:18 PM.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: