Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 06-03-2011, 12:36 AM   #391
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board
Default Re: Sources: Mike Brown named coach of the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Yeah....Lakerfreak is young, but still a great guy however he needs to listen to us on this one
Comedy Gold right here people. It doesn't get any funnier than this
BØBØ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #392
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people
Default Re: Mike Brown named new Lakers head coach

Good interview with Mike Brown on JRIB on ESPN, I actually like what he said however I feel he gave way too many exact details on what his strategy will be, even saying where the weak points of our defense will be.......I forgot he likes to hear himself talk.........not a good thing at all.
If you LISTEN to him, he sounds like a great coach......If you really studied his coaching then you say
Mike says they can win the title with the current roster At the very least they have to get a real starting PG.
He confirmed that the Triangle as we know it will be blown up. They will use certain "Elements" which are already run by most teams.........I am very happy about this

Lakerfreak knows he's one of my favs on here, we don't always agree but I got nothing but respect for him A true class guy
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 01:27 AM   #393
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Good interview with Mike Brown on JRIB on ESPN, I actually like what he said however I feel he gave way too many exact details on what his strategy will be, even saying where the weak points of our defense will be.......I forgot he likes to hear himself talk.........not a good thing at all.
If you LISTEN to him, he sounds like a great coach......If you really studied his coaching then you say
Mike says they can win the title with the current roster At the very least they have to get a real starting PG.
He confirmed that the Triangle as we know it will be blown up. They will use certain "Elements" which are already run by most teams.........I am very happy about this

Lakerfreak knows he's one of my favs on here, we don't always agree but I got nothing but respect for him A true class guy
thanks for sharing. I heard that Barnes plans to use his player option. I think that is GREAT news. I really think Steve Blake can contribute more esp when used properly. I just seemed to me he didn't really got a lot of chances to contribute last season.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 08:29 AM   #394
ZeN
Wubadubadubdub

ZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableZeN is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
thanks for sharing. I heard that Barnes plans to use his player option. I think that is GREAT news. I really think Steve Blake can contribute more esp when used properly. I just seemed to me he didn't really got a lot of chances to contribute last season.
Barns did pick up his second year.. hopefully he can help with the defense that Mike is seeking to introduce. The more players the Lakers have who appreciate D.. the better.
ZeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:23 PM   #395
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

funny tamaraw08,

I don't remember age being a factor in one's ability to discuss basketball. Any how, winning shadows all concerns. Adelman's been to the finals twice? good for him! its hard to just make the finals. Mike Brown made a finals appearance too. Did you catch that part? Only took him a few years or less. Gotta hand it to him. Hard working coach, trained by poppovich, carlisle (in the finals currently) and other notable guys.

So call me young, but im also fun
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:20 PM   #396
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

SoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSoCalMike is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak

Perhaps you don't recognize when you have been patronized....

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:41 AM   #397
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

tamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postertamaraw08 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
funny tamaraw08,

I don't remember age being a factor in one's ability to discuss basketball. Any how, winning shadows all concerns. Adelman's been to the finals twice? good for him! its hard to just make the finals. Mike Brown made a finals appearance too. Did you catch that part? Only took him a few years or less. Gotta hand it to him. Hard working coach, trained by poppovich, carlisle (in the finals currently) and other notable guys.

You simply asked if Adelman has lead a team to the finals, I SIMPLY answered your question with a little theory on why you didn't know that fact.
What, you'll rather read "oh lakerfreak, you are so ignorant with your question. ...."
If you are offended with my theory on why you don't know much about Adelman's accomplishments, then I apologize.
You are a classy poster who gives most players and coaches the benefit of the doubt and i like that about you. But you seemed irritated that some of us are more impressed with Adelman's feats rather than the current Laker coach that's why you are questioning Rick's record.
Old 06-06-2011, 04:43 PM   #398
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
Perhaps you don't recognize when you have been patronized....

lol hopefully none of it was from this post :p

Old 06-06-2011, 04:52 PM   #399
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
You simply asked if Adelman has lead a team to the finals, I SIMPLY answered your question with a little theory on why you didn't know that fact.
What, you'll rather read "oh lakerfreak, you are so ignorant with your question. ...."
If you are offended with my theory on why you don't know much about Adelman's accomplishments, then I apologize.
You are a classy poster who gives most players and coaches the benefit of the doubt and i like that about you. But you seemed irritated that some of us are more impressed with Adelman's feats rather than the current Laker coach that's why you are questioning Rick's record.

I wasn't irritated about people wanting adelman, I was more irritated that people already passed judgement on one mike brown, and he didn't even get a chance to prove himself yet lol.
Adelman is a great offensive mastermind, thats good! Mike Brown is a great defensive mastermind. Thats also very good. What we see in championship teams is more than just a coach with a great plan. A championship team is full of players that go the extra mile to win. The coach is honestly just there to guide them to a certain extent, but championship players have to figure it out on their own after being guided for some time.

The pistons that beat on the lakers in 2004 had so much great chemistry on both ends of the floor. Larry Brown did his job in getting them to play his way, but the fact that those guys had so much trust for each other is what dismantled a lakers roster, full of hall of famers, and no trust for each other.

The Spurs won championships for the same reason, and with some miracle plays. Poppovich is a defense first type of coach, but guys like ginobli were always there in the end of the game to give the spurs that extra lift needed to win.

The lakers of the last two years (not including this year) were champions for no other reason than holding each other accountable for each of their roles. When every player on those teams did their jobs, it was a guarantee win.

So my point is, Adelman vs Mike Brown is not what is going to bring the trophy. The coach is merely the teacher that offers you ways to get started. It is however up to the student to put that teaching to use, or not. The players will need to learn how to play with each other within mike brown's system, and this will determine whether they will win or not. Not the name of a coach, that many of you called "incompetent" or a "joke". What I love about Mike Brown is he is a work-a-holic. He will find a way to get these guys to play together on both ends. It is up to them from that point to go that extra mile and win it for themselves.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #400
BØBØ
Local High School Star

BØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this boardBØBØ is popular on this board

So how come Adleman's not getting calls from Toronto, Golden State, Minnesota, Detroit or the Pacers? Why is he no longer with Houston? Why did the Lakers pass on him? Why is this super hot commodity who can seemingly pull wins out of thin air not being scooped up? All the so called internet experts in this forum keep telling us how well equipped he is to lead an NBA team but for some reason 7 GM's in the league are not in agreement.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #401
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by BØBØ
So how come Adleman's not getting calls from Toronto, Golden State, Minnesota, Detroit or the Pacers? Why is he no longer with Houston? Why did the Lakers pass on him? Why is this super hot commodity who can seemingly pull wins out of thin air not being scooped up? All the so called internet experts in this forum keep telling us how well equipped he is to lead an NBA team but for some reason 7 GM's in the league are not in agreement.

1) First of all, two of the teams you mentioned still have head coaches, and Toronto only recently fired theirs. Secondly, how do you know discussions haven't taken place? Third, how do you know Adelman WANTS to coach a moribund franchise like Detroit, GS, or Minny? Hiring a coach isn't always about what the team wants--there's two parties negotiating.

2) By all accounts, the split between him and Houston was mutual. Houston wanted new blood, and Adelman wanted a fresh start. I get your point (if he was so good, Houston should have been fighting to keep him), but take a look at how he did with what he had there: it's unreasonable to say that he did anything other than a stellar job.

3) This is the $5 million question. We don't know why Jim Buss went with Brown over Shaw or Adelman (though we can speculate as to the former). Hence the outrage and confusion.

4) GM's make bad decisions all the time. It doesn't make us "internet experts" more knowledgeable that they are, of course, but it does tend to show that their moves/hires aren't above questioning. And that's what's going on here and on other boards: second-guessing of a questionable hire.

On second thought, since Jim "The Horse Whisperer" Buss made the hire here, I'm questioning the statement I just made about not being more knowledgeable. I may not know hoops like Mitch or even Dr. Buss, but I probably do know more than a ranch hand playboy who got his job through nepotism and hardly showed a professional interest in the team until 2004. Not one sportswriter can quote a Lakers source who has anything glowing to say about the guy. His own sister (who's a lot more qualified, by the way), can't really come out in support of him. By all accounts, he's an underqualified hack playing loose with Daddy's money.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:09 PM   #402
BØBØ
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
On second thought, since Jim "The Horse Whisperer" Buss made the hire here, I'm questioning the statement I just made about not being more knowledgeable. I may not know hoops like Mitch or even Dr. Buss, but I probably do know more than a ranch hand playboy who got his job through nepotism and hardly showed a professional interest in the team until 2004. Not one sportswriter can quote a Lakers source who has anything glowing to say about the guy. His own sister (who's a lot more qualified, by the way), can't really come out in support of him. By all accounts, he's an underqualified hack playing loose with Daddy's money.
I'll leave you alone now so you can finish patting yourself on the back.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #403
$LakerGold
|Ronda☆Mir|

$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster$LakerGold is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

CHOKED. <---
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 PM   #404
Frank Foley
High School Varsity 6th Man

Frank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat coolFrank Foley is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

To be clear, I don't know anything compared to a legit NBA (or WNBA or College or High School) executive. But neither does Jim Buss.

Emoticon emoticon emoticon.
Frank Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:54 AM   #405
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

Quote:
I wasn't irritated about people wanting adelman, I was more irritated that people already passed judgement on one mike brown, and he didn't even get a chance to prove himself yet lol.
Adelman is a great offensive mastermind, thats good! Mike Brown is a great defensive mastermind. Thats also very good. What we see in championship teams is more than just a coach with a great plan. A championship team is full of players that go the extra mile to win. The coach is honestly just there to guide them to a certain extent, but championship players have to figure it out on their own after being guided for some time.

The pistons that beat on the lakers in 2004 had so much great chemistry on both ends of the floor. Larry Brown did his job in getting them to play his way, but the fact that those guys had so much trust for each other is what dismantled a lakers roster, full of hall of famers, and no trust for each other.

The Spurs won championships for the same reason, and with some miracle plays. Poppovich is a defense first type of coach, but guys like ginobli were always there in the end of the game to give the spurs that extra lift needed to win.

The lakers of the last two years (not including this year) were champions for no other reason than holding each other accountable for each of their roles. When every player on those teams did their jobs, it was a guarantee win.

So my point is, Adelman vs Mike Brown is not what is going to bring the trophy. The coach is merely the teacher that offers you ways to get started. It is however up to the student to put that teaching to use, or not. The players will need to learn how to play with each other within mike brown's system, and this will determine whether they will win or not. Not the name of a coach, that many of you called "incompetent" or a "joke". What I love about Mike Brown is he is a work-a-holic. He will find a way to get these guys to play together on both ends. It is up to them from that point to go that extra mile and win it for themselves.

YOu made some great points, if you can find ANY messages that I posted insinuating that Mike Brown is incompetent, stupid etc etc, I would like to read them.
All I said was Adelman had a better track record, being relatively successfull in Portland, Sacramento and Houston as compared to Brown who coached 1 superstar with different supporting casts just like Rudy T. Again, Im not saying he would also be a disaster but it is my opinion that Adelman is a safeR pick.
So you like Mike's strong work ethic, I seemed to recall Laker fans and media also being so optimistic with Rudy T's dedication esp when he coached the US team spending sleepless nights discussing strategies with his players and assistants. There are coaches who work just as hard but unfortunately, there is other attributes that great coaches have over typical mentors. Aspects like timely adjustments and substitutions, when to yell at players and when to step back, what setplay to use in a specific situation, what to say to the players in the time of victory and more importantly when they lose, how to deal with different personalities etc etc.
If you read my reply to DK, both of us were ENCOURAGED with what he read about Mike Brown. Picking a coach like Ettore Messina who looked like a genius seems to be a great decision. I also wouldn't be against the idea of bringing in Kuester who assisted him enroute to their good stint in Cleveland.

Last edited by tamaraw08 : 06-07-2011 at 12:59 AM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: