Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #406
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned
 
Eat Like A Bosh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Inside LeBron's head
Posts: 5,195
Default Re: Mike Brown named new Lakers head coach

Never liked this move. Look at his post game interviews/press conferences, Dude looks like a straight up idiot, and doesn't know what he's talking about most of the time.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 07:06 PM   #407
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy
 
lakerfreak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 14,643
Default Re: Mike Brown named new Lakers head coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
YOu made some great points, if you can find ANY messages that I posted insinuating that Mike Brown is incompetent, stupid etc etc, I would like to read them.
All I said was Adelman had a better track record, being relatively successfull in Portland, Sacramento and Houston as compared to Brown who coached 1 superstar with different supporting casts just like Rudy T. Again, Im not saying he would also be a disaster but it is my opinion that Adelman is a safeR pick.
So you like Mike's strong work ethic, I seemed to recall Laker fans and media also being so optimistic with Rudy T's dedication esp when he coached the US team spending sleepless nights discussing strategies with his players and assistants. There are coaches who work just as hard but unfortunately, there is other attributes that great coaches have over typical mentors. Aspects like timely adjustments and substitutions, when to yell at players and when to step back, what setplay to use in a specific situation, what to say to the players in the time of victory and more importantly when they lose, how to deal with different personalities etc etc.
If you read my reply to DK, both of us were ENCOURAGED with what he read about Mike Brown. Picking a coach like Ettore Messina who looked like a genius seems to be a great decision. I also wouldn't be against the idea of bringing in Kuester who assisted him enroute to their good stint in Cleveland.

I never said it was you who talked about his "incompetence", but take a look at this post...

Quote:
Never liked this move. Look at his post game interviews/press conferences, Dude looks like a straight up idiot, and doesn't know what he's talking about most of the time.

Now tell me, wasn't this an unfair assumption? Did people even watch his press conference after we hired him? I was very impressed with what he was saying. I didnt see any sign of incompetence...unless of course that makes me incompetent.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:29 AM   #408
Lakers_Kobe_Fan
NBA rookie of the year
 
Lakers_Kobe_Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6,974
Default Re: Mike Brown named new Lakers head coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat Like A Bosh
Never liked this move. Look at his post game interviews/press conferences, Dude looks like a straight up idiot, and doesn't know what he's talking about most of the time.

people learn from their mistakes....always they do when are working a professional environment.

Watching his 1st press conference he looks great. Let see how it will work out

I for 1 like this because we were HORRIBLE DEFENSIVELY against the DALLAS series....& this guy emphasis on DEFENSE

I could care less on offense when we have players like Kobe,Pau, Bynum and Odom
Lakers_Kobe_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #409
$LakerGold
|Ronda☆Mir|
 
$LakerGold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: ☆Lakers Forum☆
Posts: 4,757
Default Re: Mike Brown named new Lakers head coach

Any Assistant Coach Updates lately?
$LakerGold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:40 PM   #410
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth
 
Crown&Coke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LAnd of the Lost
Posts: 3,770
Default Re: Mike Brown named new Lakers head coach

Im warming up to the whole Mike Brown thing, but dude is getting way too Hollywood right now.

He's been on like 25 shows already. I think after the way the season ended the new coach would work behind the scenes a little.

I get he is hot right now, but is there really a reason to go on late night talk shows? Those people could care less about sports...
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:28 PM   #411
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
DKLaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,099
Default Re: Mike Brown named new Lakers head coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Foley
1) First of all, two of the teams you mentioned still have head coaches, and Toronto only recently fired theirs. Secondly, how do you know discussions haven't taken place? Third, how do you know Adelman WANTS to coach a moribund franchise like Detroit, GS, or Minny? Hiring a coach isn't always about what the team wants--there's two parties negotiating.

2) By all accounts, the split between him and Houston was mutual. Houston wanted new blood, and Adelman wanted a fresh start. I get your point (if he was so good, Houston should have been fighting to keep him), but take a look at how he did with what he had there: it's unreasonable to say that he did anything other than a stellar job.

3) This is the $5 million question. We don't know why Jim Buss went with Brown over Shaw or Adelman (though we can speculate as to the former). Hence the outrage and confusion.

4) GM's make bad decisions all the time. It doesn't make us "internet experts" more knowledgeable that they are, of course, but it does tend to show that their moves/hires aren't above questioning. And that's what's going on here and on other boards: second-guessing of a questionable hire.

On second thought, since Jim "The Horse Whisperer" Buss made the hire here, I'm questioning the statement I just made about not being more knowledgeable. I may not know hoops like Mitch or even Dr. Buss, but I probably do know more than a ranch hand playboy who got his job through nepotism and hardly showed a professional interest in the team until 2004. Not one sportswriter can quote a Lakers source who has anything glowing to say about the guy. His own sister (who's a lot more qualified, by the way), can't really come out in support of him. By all accounts, he's an underqualified hack playing loose with Daddy's money.

Wow!!!!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^ =
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:34 PM   #412
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
DKLaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,099
Default Re: Mike Brown named new Lakers head coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown&Coke
Im warming up to the whole Mike Brown thing, but dude is getting way too Hollywood right now.

He's been on like 25 shows already. I think after the way the season ended the new coach would work behind the scenes a little.

I get he is hot right now, but is there really a reason to go on late night talk shows? Those people could care less about sports...

This should worry everyone, the guy wants to be in the spotlight too much....trying to make it all about himself. I already heard him publicly give way too much info on his strategy and philosophy as well as the weaknesses in his defensive strategy. No leader wants to go into battle having given his opponent a blueprint.......if they figure it out for themselves then fine.....but why run your mouth and help them???? Brown needs to shut up and start preparing. I suspect this guy will be flapping his gums all season.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #413
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
DKLaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,099
Default Re: Mike Brown named new Lakers head coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
The coach is merely the teacher that offers you ways to get started. It is however up to the student to put that teaching to use, or not. The players will need to learn how to play with each other within mike brown's system, and this will determine whether they will win or not. Not the name of a coach, that many of you called "incompetent" or a "joke". What I love about Mike Brown is he is a work-a-holic. He will find a way to get these guys to play together on both ends. It is up to them from that point to go that extra mile and win it for themselves.

^^^^^^ This makes no sense at all....not the least bit.....sorry.
The coach is responsible for complete in-game strategy, adjustments, proper use of timeouts, clock management and calling up plays to close out games.....you make it sound like the head coach doesn't need to show up for the game? I have seen Brown blow way too many games to like him.
I do wish him the very best success.....Lakers need to pass Boston, Kobe needs to pass MJ.

I love a hard working coach.....but truthfully it's not how long Mike Brown prepares, it's what he knows and how he prepares for games.
A friend of mine, a retired 15 year NBA veteran starter told me that his favorite head coach....an NBA HOF legend ran a maximum 90 minute practice...never one second more than that ever........Knowledge > Time practicing........I mean would Dunleavy be better than Phil if he Worked 20 hours a day 7 days a week coaching

No insult intended to anyone but I wish everyone on here would go and coach a basketball team at any level for a few years. I think this would greatly improve their perspective on basketball. Kind of like the Kobe Vs. Chef turkish airline commercial where both thought the other had it easy.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #414
tamaraw08
National High School Star
 
tamaraw08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,378
Default Re: Mike Brown named new Lakers head coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
This should worry everyone, the guy wants to be in the spotlight too much....trying to make it all about himself. I already heard him publicly give way too much info on his strategy and philosophy as well as the weaknesses in his defensive strategy. No leader wants to go into battle having given his opponent a blueprint.......if they figure it out for themselves then fine.....but why run your mouth and help them???? Brown needs to shut up and start preparing. I suspect this guy will be flapping his gums all season.

I think Mike is trying to show to fans, media, his players etc that he is eloquent and not a stupid dufus who just got lucky to coach in pro sports.
Then again, I think its more important for him to reach out and communicate with his players on what specific aspects of their games that they should be working on.
About revealing his philosophies, I think the past 15 yrs or so, the scouting reports have been so much advance that practically every coach and their staff are aware of what is everybody is running within several games of the season.
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:39 AM   #415
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star
 
InspiredLebowski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Birthplace of basketball
Posts: 26,277
Default Re: Mike Brown named new Lakers head coach

Don't know if you guys care since he's gone, but Brian Shaw's interviewing in Indy sometime this week to assist under Vogel.

Hamblen said he'd be interested (allegedly), Chuck Person obviously has roots here. I'm gonna call Larry and tell him to just bring all 3 over.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:24 AM   #416
NBA2k-Monster23
Decent playground baller
 
NBA2k-Monster23's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 380
Default Re: Mike Brown named new Lakers head coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
^^^^^^ This makes no sense at all....not the least bit.....sorry.
The coach is responsible for complete in-game strategy, adjustments, proper use of timeouts, clock management and calling up plays to close out games.....you make it sound like the head coach doesn't need to show up for the game? I have seen Brown blow way too many games to like him.
I do wish him the very best success.....Lakers need to pass Boston, Kobe needs to pass MJ.

I love a hard working coach.....but truthfully it's not how long Mike Brown prepares, it's what he knows and how he prepares for games.
A friend of mine, a retired 15 year NBA veteran starter told me that his favorite head coach....an NBA HOF legend ran a maximum 90 minute practice...never one second more than that ever........Knowledge > Time practicing........I mean would Dunleavy be better than Phil if he Worked 20 hours a day 7 days a week coaching

No insult intended to anyone but I wish everyone on here would go and coach a basketball team at any level for a few years. I think this would greatly improve their perspective on basketball. Kind of like the Kobe Vs. Chef turkish airline commercial where both thought the other had it easy.


There is a lot of stuff that makes a good coach or a bad coach. Mike brown is in the middle. But one way to tell if he can ever be a good coach is learn from your mistakes. The mistakes he made in Cleveland should never follow him to LA or to were ever he is at again. I know he is coaching a different team then what he had in Cleveland. But If his Defensive principals are like what everybody is making them to be he should be good in LA. He also is coaching a better team and with a good PG like Deron Williams or CP3 could put us right back in the finals.
NBA2k-Monster23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #417
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
DKLaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,099
Default Re: Sources: Mike Brown named coach of the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
Not sure if posted previously, but it might aswell be on Page 9 too.



Kobe is going to walk all over him.



Any of this look familiar to you guys??? Brown = Moron!!!!
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:57 PM   #418
bladefd
Good college starter
 
bladefd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,245
Default Re: Sources: Mike Brown named coach of the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Any of this look familiar to you guys??? Brown = Moron!!!!

LOL!! That gif just made me laugh so hard that I have to hold my stomach straight with my hands. you made me hurt my stomach, i needed that after a long day
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:03 PM   #419
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year
 
DKLaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,099
Default Re: Sources: Mike Brown named coach of the Lakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
LOL!! That gif just made me laugh so hard that I have to hold my stomach straight with my hands. you made me hurt my stomach, i needed that after a long day

DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy