Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-26-2011, 04:16 PM   #31
DMAVS41
NBA Legend

DMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Things that were fishy about the 2006 NBA finals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. The reason that people still talk about that series is that it didn't pass the eyeball test. Forget stats; you could simply watch the games and see that something was wrong.

Why was it that after the series, so many people questioned whether it was rigged? Has any Finals in the past decade drawn as much doubt as to the officiating? No.

I remember having loads of friends who were casual observers of the game ask me why the series was rigged.

So, I'm going to watch all of the games again, as someone has already suggested, but the memory of how the series went down, and the overwhelming reaction to it among fans and non-fans was enough to convince me that something just wasn't right.

The problem was the rules the NBA had come up with that year. It led to historic scoring from guards and made it nearly impossible to stop players like Wade without fouling.

That was the issue. It was not rigged. The refs did their job. They called fouls where the NBA told them to call fouls based on the soft new rules.

My only complaint is game 5. Game 5 was a pretty big joke. To lose a close game in that fashion while getting screwed by the refs is tough to take. Just didn't think the Heat earned that game. It wasn't as bad as game 6 of the 02 WCF....but in the same ballpark.

But that series was not rigged and the Mavs did not play well enough to win.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #32
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAVS41
The problem was the rules the NBA had come up with that year. It led to historic scoring from guards and made it nearly impossible to stop players like Wade without fouling.
I'm sorry, but what you said doesn't explain clear bias -- one team getting the benefit of calls, while the other isn't. Wade obviously got a number of unwarranted calls at key times, and that isn't even debatable.

Given the fact that it was clear to just about anyone who watched that something wasn't right, added to Cuban's known toxic relationship with Dictator Stern, why is it so far-fetched that the series was rigged? How can you definitively state that it wasn't?

As far as the Mavs not playing well enough to win, how much of an impact does it have on a team when they know they're being screwed? The players are the first to know that something is wrong, and when it becomes obvious that the refs are not on your side, and that games are not going to be called fairly, I can imagine that it has a huge negative impact on how hard a team plays.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #33
DMAVS41
NBA Legend

DMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I'm sorry, but what you said doesn't explain clear bias -- one team getting the benefit of calls, while the other isn't. Wade obviously got a number of unwarranted calls at key times, and that isn't even debatable.

Given the fact that it was clear to just about anyone who watched that something wasn't right, added to Cuban's known toxic relationship with Dictator Stern, why is it so far-fetched that the series was rigged? How can you definitively state that it wasn't?

As far as the Mavs not playing well enough to win, how much of an impact does it have on a team when they know they're being screwed? The players are the first to know that something is wrong, and when it becomes obvious that the refs are not on your side, and that games are not going to be called fairly, I can imagine that it has a huge negative impact on how hard a team plays.

I just feel like that is a lot of excuses. The fact remains that Dirk came up small in game 3 at the end and didn't stop the run. Had nothing to do with refs.

Game 4 the Mavs just got destroyed.

Game 5 I have a problem with, but one game does not decide a series.

Game 6...Dirk came to play but got no help. Did the refs make terry go 7 of 25 or howard go 5 of 16? No.

Its weak to blame the refs for that series. You can ***** and moan about game 5. I'll be right there with you, but acting like the refs decided the series is weak.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:36 PM   #34
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAVS41
Its weak to blame the refs for that series. You can ***** and moan about game 5. I'll be right there with you, but acting like the refs decided the series is weak.
I guess we can agree to disagree on this point. I'll just say again that there's a reason why the '06 series is the most notorious in the modern era. No other series I can think of had even close to the number of questions regarding the officiating.

The refs obviously didn't account for 100% of the problems, but they sure were a big part. How much of a part, I guess, is where we disagree.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #35
Cone
thunder upton

Cone is considered somewhat coolCone is considered somewhat coolCone is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Where there's smoke, there's usually fire. The reason that people still talk about that series is that it didn't pass the eyeball test. Forget stats; you could simply watch the games and see that something was wrong.

Why was it that after the series, so many people questioned whether it was rigged? Has any Finals in the past decade drawn as much doubt as to the officiating? No.

I remember having loads of friends who were casual observers of the game ask me why the series was rigged.

So, I'm going to watch all of the games again, as someone has already suggested, but the memory of how the series went down, and the overwhelming reaction to it among fans and non-fans was enough to convince me that something just wasn't right.

yep
Cone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:47 PM   #36
The Judge
Decent playground baller

The Judge has an OK reputation so far

Do you think it could happen again? It seems like this year it should happen more than 06. I mean, the NBA would want Wade and LeBron to get rings over just Wade in 06.
The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #37
LBJWADE
Banned

LBJWADE has an OK reputation so far

Quote:

That series alone made me hate the NBA for two years
LBJWADE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:49 PM   #38
LBJWADE
Banned

LBJWADE has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJoker23
nobody brings up josh howard's stupid timeout that didn't allow the mavs to advance the ball in the final 2 seconds of ot. mavs could've still won.

Howard said he didnt even call a timeout
LBJWADE is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: