Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #31
whoartthou
National High School Star

whoartthou has not been impressing people
Default Re: So according to Jim Buss Bynum is untradable.

lmao at laker fans.

The guy brought you numerous chips... and now since you might be out of contention for just a little bit, y'all going ape shit.
whoartthou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #32
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

What has Bynum really proven to be untradable? I missed that part of his career.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:05 PM   #33
MAC system
Serious playground baller

MAC system has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
didn't Dwight mention he wanted to play for the Lakers?, and he'd basically be in a Denver-Melo's situation where he can dictate where he wants to play, if the Magic want value for him. Correct me if i'm wrong.
That's a hypothetical, thus a moot point.

Other than that moron Broussard saying Howard wants to play for the Lakers (as well as a couple other teams), he has given no indication where he wants to play.
MAC system is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:06 PM   #34
MAC system
Serious playground baller

MAC system has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
What has Bynum really proven to be untradable? I missed that part of his career.
It's Jim Buss' "project." That's why he's untradable.
MAC system is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #35
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourGrapes
while you might be able to go just as far, it would be far more difficult to do so. size and defense are still the best predictors of winning in the postseason, not perimeter scoring. add to that the fact that i think paul is a better player than carmelo, and i think it's fair to say those players might make jim deviate more in his thinking than would carmelo

Which is why Dallas and Miami are going to play in the NBA Finals?

I'm not underestimating the impact of size when it comes to the Playoffs. However the Lakers can find a replacement for Bynum in terms of size, defense, & rebounding much easier than they can find a swingman capable of giving them 25 or more each night.

That was my point behind it. I do think Chris Paul & Dwight Howard are better overall players, but their impact on the Lakers wouldnt be more than Melo's would have been.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #36
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

SourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoartthou
lmao at laker fans.

The guy brought you numerous chips... and now since you might be out of contention for just a little bit, y'all going ape shit.

fans take their cues from the organization's past behavior. it moves quickly to stay ahead of the curve

lmao at you and your thoughts
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:12 PM   #37
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

SourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSourGrapes is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
Which is why Dallas and Miami are going to play in the NBA Finals?

I'm not underestimating the impact of size when it comes to the Playoffs. However the Lakers can find a replacement for Bynum in terms of size, defense, & rebounding much easier than they can find a swingman capable of giving them 25 or more each night.

That was my point behind it. I do think Chris Paul & Dwight Howard are better overall players, but their impact on the Lakers wouldnt be more than Melo's would have been.

teams that have dirk, chris bosh, and tyson chandler. heck, brendan haywood is a starting center on most teams and is a backup on dallas. teams with size and quality players go deep.

having lots of money tied up in kobe and carmelo leaves little room to bring in post defense, post rebounding, and high efficiency post offense

and i take contention with your position that size, defense, and rebounding are easier to find than perimeter scoring. the entire history of the nba says otherwise
Old 05-26-2011, 05:13 PM   #38
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Rowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRowe is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC system
That's a hypothetical, thus a moot point.

Other than that moron Broussard saying Howard wants to play for the Lakers (as well as a couple other teams), he has given no indication where he wants to play.

When has Broussard been wrong? He became an open target following the LeBron updates each day, but he was very accurate on keeping us updated through LeBron's sources.

He nailed down the Melo situation from the beginning.

If Dwight didnt want to be recruited to enjoy the choices he'll have in Free Agency and/or being traded to a new situation, he would sign an extension right now with Orlando for more than he'd receive elsewhere. That is the reaction to show commitment, by signing long term to let the team & its fans know that you want to be there for the long haul.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:33 PM   #39
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
teams that have dirk, chris bosh, and tyson chandler. heck, brendan haywood is a starting center on most teams and is a backup on dallas. teams with size and quality players go deep.

What does size matter when Bosh & Dirk are perimeter oriented big men with little defensive impact? That is in a similar vein to Melo who is a SF capable of posting up but prefers to face up.

Haywood is giving the Mavericks nothing off the bench but fouls.

As I said before, I'm not underestimating the importance of size & defense but this is not the year where that argument holds weight. Both teams in Miami & Dallas have gotten here through great perimeter play getting past teams like LA & Boston who had a size advantage.

Quote:
having lots of money tied up in kobe and carmelo leaves little room to bring in post defense, post rebounding, and high efficiency post offense

Which is where the MLE comes into play. If not, then through trading Odom or Artest to bring in a Center they needed.

Quote:
and i take contention with your position that size, defense, and rebounding are easier to find than perimeter scoring. the entire history of the nba says otherwise
I disagree.

If we're talking Centers capable of providing all 3 of those attributes to some extent there are multiple guys out there who can do it.

Now there is a huge drop off between the top tier C's like Dwight and a player like a Haywood for example, but if your only job is to protect the paint rather than provide offense then you can find many guys who can do that. A lot of these guys are out there just to get a few boards and thats it.

How many guys can you name who will give a team 20 a night as a "bad game"? You just cant underrate scoring espescially players like Dirk & Melo who are 1 & 2 in terms of "clutch" shots.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:39 PM   #40
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
What does size matter when Bosh & Dirk are perimeter oriented big men with little defensive impact? That is in a similar vein to Melo who is a SF capable of posting up but prefers to face up.

Haywood is giving the Mavericks nothing off the bench but fouls.

As I said before, I'm not underestimating the importance of size & defense but this is not the year where that argument holds weight. Both teams in Miami & Dallas have gotten here through great perimeter play getting past teams like LA & Boston who had a size advantage.

Which is where the MLE comes into play. If not, then through trading Odom or Artest to bring in a Center they needed.

I disagree.

If we're talking Centers capable of providing all 3 of those attributes to some extent there are multiple guys out there who can do it.

Now there is a huge drop off between the top tier C's like Dwight and a player like a Haywood for example, but if your only job is to protect the paint rather than provide offense then you can find many guys who can do that. A lot of these guys are out there just to get a few boards and thats it.

How many guys can you name who will give a team 20 a night as a "bad game"? You just cant underrate scoring espescially players like Dirk & Melo who are 1 & 2 in terms of "clutch" shots.

i'm of the belief that if you're going to invest large money into players, it should be quality, skilled big men before scoring wings. players like bosh and dirk provide highly efficient scoring, in the post and the midrange, to an extent that carmelo cannot. players like bynum and howard rebound and protect the paint far better than a scoring wing like carmelo.

and i'd rather have premier bigs with slightly lesser quality perimeter players than a premier perimeter player with lesser quality bigs.

i think the history of the nba supports that preference

carmelo and kobe with mle bigs to me reeks of a fairly early playoff exit
Old 05-26-2011, 05:52 PM   #41
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

bleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbleedinpurpleTwo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Look, Jim Buss is no fool.
He wanted to keep Bynum when everyone else said trade Bynum for player X.
Buss was correct. He kept Bynum.
I suspect he would strongly consider packaging Bynum for DHoward, as long as the package is not overly expensive. Bynum for DHoward straight-up? Absolutely. Bynum and Odom for DHoward and Arenas' UGLY contract? I doubt it.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #42
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedinpurpleTwo
Look, Jim Buss is no fool.
He wanted to keep Bynum when everyone else said trade Bynum for player X.
Buss was correct. He kept Bynum.
I suspect he would strongly consider packaging Bynum for DHoward, as long as the package is not overly expensive. Bynum for DHoward straight-up? Absolutely. Bynum and Odom for DHoward and Arenas' UGLY contract? I doubt it.

agreed
Old 05-26-2011, 05:56 PM   #43
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
i'm of the belief that if you're going to invest large money into players, it should be quality, skilled big men before scoring wings. players like bosh and dirk provide highly efficient scoring, in the post and the midrange, to an extent that carmelo cannot. players like bynum and howard rebound and protect the paint far better than a scoring wing like carmelo.

and i'd rather have premier bigs with slightly lesser quality perimeter players than a premier perimeter player with lesser quality bigs.

i think the history of the nba supports that preference

carmelo and kobe with mle bigs to me reeks of a fairly early playoff exit

Where are these quality skilled big men you speak of????
All I see now are crappy pretenders....No Kareem, Russell, Shaq, Wilt.
The game has changed away from the importance of a big man thanks to the 3 point line and the introduction of bigs with better shooting range and foot speed. Guys like Shaq, Bynum etc...now get killed on pick and rolls and can't show out on shooters then recover if they drive.
Look at the final 4 teams.....where are the best bigs in the NBA???
It's much less of a power game and more of a shooters game now.
I'll tell you this much....if the Lakers had Melo instead of Bynum they would have gone farther this year....maybe in the finals.

Anyone taking on Arenas contract should be fired.

Last edited by DKLaker : 05-26-2011 at 06:00 PM.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #44
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Where are these quality skilled big men you speak of????
All I see now are crappy pretenders....No Kareem, Russell, Shaq, Wilt.
The game has changed away from the importance of a big man thanks to the 3 point line and the introduction of bigs with better shooting range and foot speed. Guys like Shaq, Bynum etc...now get killed on pick and rolls and can't show out on shooters then recover if they drive.
Look at the final 4 teams.....where are the best bigs in the NBA???
It's much less of a power game and more of a shooters game now.

specifically the issue between rowe and i is a comparison of dwight howard v. carmelo anthony and jim buss' thinking

regardless of who is shooting, teams that win control the paint on both sides
Old 05-26-2011, 05:59 PM   #45
LJJ
Extra Cheese

LJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterLJJ is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnax1
Nobody but an idiot would trade Bynum. Who the hell would trade a 23 year old center who is already more then capable of averaging 20 points a game, plays great defense and is their best rebounder? There are only a couple of guys I'd trade him for.

It's nice that Bynum is 23 and all, but Gasol/Odom/Bryant aren't. The window is closing for those guys.

The smart thing would be to do whatever it takes to bring this team in a better position to win titles short term. Once those three guys truly decline Bynum is not going to save the Lakers from mediocrity anyway.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: