Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-26-2011, 06:05 PM   #46
MAC system
Serious playground baller

Default Re: So according to Jim Buss Bynum is untradable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowe
When has Broussard been wrong? He became an open target following the LeBron updates each day, but he was very accurate on keeping us updated through LeBron's sources.

He nailed down the Melo situation from the beginning.

If Dwight didnt want to be recruited to enjoy the choices he'll have in Free Agency and/or being traded to a new situation, he would sign an extension right now with Orlando for more than he'd receive elsewhere. That is the reaction to show commitment, by signing long term to let the team & its fans know that you want to be there for the long haul.
He was wrong throughout the entire decision debacle until 1 am the morning of it. And Melo came out and said he wanted New York from the beginning (as far as I can remember, but I'm not a Knick fan so you probably know more about it than me), so it's a different situation.

Fact of the matter is, Dwight Howard has not said he wants to leave. So who knows what will happen. I was simply saying there are better packages out there than an injury prone center that has the potential to be a star.
MAC system is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:10 PM   #47
MAC system

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Where are these quality skilled big men you speak of????
All I see now are crappy pretenders....No Kareem, Russell, Shaq, Wilt.
The game has changed away from the importance of a big man thanks to the 3 point line and the introduction of bigs with better shooting range and foot speed. Guys like Shaq, Bynum etc...now get killed on pick and rolls and can't show out on shooters then recover if they drive.
Look at the final 4 teams.....where are the best bigs in the NBA???
It's much less of a power game and more of a shooters game now.
I'll tell you this much....if the Lakers had Melo instead of Bynum they would have gone farther this year....maybe in the finals.

Anyone taking on Arenas contract should be fired.
Forget this final four of one year, why not look at the past decade and tell me if dominant bigs aren't the cornerstone to every team. Controlling the paint is still the key to victory for most championship teams.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #48
magnax1
hero of the bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterlingsucks
agreed BUT Dwight better be one of those "couple guys"
Agreed, but I wouldn't really be surprised if in 5 years they were pretty equal. I really wish they'd just trade Pau and rebuild the team around Bynum as the #1 and Kobe as the #2 in the long term.... Pau won't have value for long.
magnax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:12 PM   #49
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC system
Forget this final four of one year, why not look at the past decade and tell me if dominant bigs aren't the cornerstone to every team. Controlling the paint is still the key to victory for most championship teams.

SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:15 PM   #50
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourGrapes
i'm of the belief that if you're going to invest large money into players, it should be quality, skilled big men before scoring wings. players like bosh and dirk provide highly efficient scoring, in the post and the midrange, to an extent that carmelo cannot. players like bynum and howard rebound and protect the paint far better than a scoring wing like carmelo.

Well the Lakers already have their skilled big man in Pau Gasol. Dont confuse being a skilled big man with a space filler, which makes up a majority of the big men in the NBA.

Im not saying Bynum is totally expendable, but a guy like Samuel Dalembert or Joel Pryzbila can give you at least 75% of what Bynum gives you. The only thing that cant match is Bynum's low post scoring.

Im not really sure if we're talking about the same player as Melo is arguably the best mid range scorer in the NBA give or take with Dirk. Not to mention Carmelo has one of the better turn around jumpers in basketball which he executes on the low block. He is an old school SF.

Quote:
and i'd rather have premier bigs with slightly lesser quality perimeter players than a premier perimeter player with lesser quality bigs.

i think the history of the nba supports that preference

carmelo and kobe with mle bigs to me reeks of a fairly early playoff exit
Dont forget Pau. We're only talking about replacing Bynum at the C position.

Hes their sole interior defender who protects the paint, but that can be replaced to a lesser extent for a cheaper option. The offense doesn't require him to receive many touches to increase his value tenfold by being important to their offense.

I wouldnt bet on a team with just Kobe & Melo alone either without any quality players in the interior. I think Kobe/Melo/Gasol would've been a great core of players together for the Lakers.
Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:16 PM   #51
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzuki
didn't Dwight mention he wanted to play for the Lakers?, and he'd basically be in a Denver-Melo's situation where he can dictate where he wants to play, if the Magic want value for him. Correct me if i'm wrong.

The Magic's owner also said he will NEVER trade Howard. He said if Howard doesn't want to resign, he will let Howard's contract expire (no S&T), and then only teams with capspace will have any chance of signing him (not the Lakers).
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #52
Sterlingsucks
French Toast Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
The Magic's owner also said he will NEVER trade Howard. He said if Howard doesn't want to resign, he will let Howard's contract expire (no S&T), and then only teams with capspace will have any chance of signing him (not the Lakers).

Smart man...make him take less money and less years instead of giving him the satisfaction of a S and T along with getting a Max contract.
Sterlingsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:18 PM   #53
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

Quote:
Well the Lakers already have their skilled big man in Pau Gasol. Dont confuse being a skilled big man with a space filler, which makes up a majority of the big men in the NBA.

Im not saying Bynum is totally expendable, but a guy like Samuel Dalembert or Joel Pryzbila can give you at least 75% of what Bynum gives you. The only thing that cant match is Bynum's low post scoring.

Im not really sure if we're talking about the same player as Melo is arguably the best mid range scorer in the NBA give or take with Dirk. Not to mention Carmelo has one of the better turn around jumpers in basketball which he executes on the low block. He is an old school SF.

Dont forget Pau. We're only talking about replacing Bynum at the C position.

Hes their sole interior defender who protects the paint, but that can be replaced to a lesser extent for a cheaper option. The offense doesn't require him to receive many touches to increase his value tenfold by being important to their offense.

I wouldnt bet on a team with just Kobe & Melo alone either without any quality players in the interior. I think Kobe/Melo/Gasol would've been a great core of players together for the Lakers.

and again, i'd prefer dwight and a slightly lesser perimeter player to pair with kobe than carmelo with dalembert.

again, i'll prefer the talent to be concentrated in bigger players... and when you have a bigman like dwight who controls the paint and can defend the in vogue offenses of today that feature quick perimeter players... i'll go with the bigman over the perimeter shooter
Old 05-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #54
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

Quote:

technically a team that has space but doesn't have a realistic shot at signing anyone could agree with howard to s&t with the lakers, thereby getting assets they wouldn't otherwise get

and of course the owner is going to say that now... before he is in a hard spot. he can't even appear to vacillate at this point
Old 05-26-2011, 06:21 PM   #55
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC system
So when did Andrew Bynum become the dominant big man in a Lakers finals run? If they had moved Bynum for Melo, they'd still have Gasol as far as I know.

In value/impact on the game Bynum is much closer to Horace Grant as a guy whos role diminishes in important games such as a NBA Finals than he is to a Hakeem or Robinson who is carrying a team on their back.

It is Jim Buss who is banking on Bynum one day becoming one of those types of guys, but we're all not the only ones who dont believe he will.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:23 PM   #56
Mr. Jabbar
Xmas MVP

Only acceptable trade for Bynum is straight up for Howard, and that ain't happening. So you stick with him.

Artests contract is becoming a cancer, we need to get rid of him + odom or gasol and bench for valuable assests, specially at the pg and sf position.
Mr. Jabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:25 PM   #57
Rowe
Scoring Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourGrapes
and again, i'd prefer dwight and a slightly lesser perimeter player to pair with kobe than carmelo with dalembert.

again, i'll prefer the talent to be concentrated in bigger players... and when you have a bigman like dwight who controls the paint and can defend the in vogue offenses of today that feature quick perimeter players... i'll go with the bigman over the perimeter shooter

OK.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:26 PM   #58
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Quote:

He might be SAYING that, but the reality is that no team can afford to lose such a huge asset without getting something in return. He can get some good young pieces/picks in return...something the fans can quickly rally around. What's he going to do? Go into the season with Arenas as the centerpiece?
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #59
MAC system

Quote:
So when did Andrew Bynum become the dominant big man in a Lakers finals run? If they had moved Bynum for Melo, they'd still have Gasol as far as I know.

In value/impact on the game Bynum is much closer to Horace Grant as a guy whos role diminishes in important games such as a NBA Finals than he is to a Hakeem or Robinson who is carrying a team on their back.

It is Jim Buss who is banking on Bynum one day becoming one of those types of guys, but we're all not the only ones who dont believe he will.

Bynum's impact on the game can't just be measured in stats, although he did shoot close to 60% in both championship runs if I'm not mistake. He is a defensive presence in the paint that you can't replace with a guy like Melo or CP3, or any wing player. And as already stated, controlling the paint wins you championships. i.e. Lakers front court, Celtics front court, Duncan, Shaq, Pistons front court. I think that about covers all the champions of the last decade.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #60
bleedinpurpleTwo
Another Laker Dynasty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
Only acceptable trade for Bynum is straight up for Howard, and that ain't happening. So you stick with him.

Artests contract is becoming a cancer, we need to get rid of him + odom or gasol and bench for valuable assests, specially at the pg and sf position.

Artest's contract is a very good one. It is a high-value contract. And he has been a very good citizen for the Lakers. Luke Walton's contract, on the otherhand, is painful.
bleedinpurpleTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: