Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 05-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Default Colangelo Looking to Bolster Front Office and maybe... a new GM?

Quote:
Calling all NBA experts: Dust off those resumes. The Raptors are in the market for a new executive.

The only catch, and it’s a doozy, is that experience is required — serious experience. While Bryan Colangelo, the Toronto president and general manager, said the title and role of his new hire is yet to be determined, he acknowledged the ongoing reorganization of his front office could even involve bestowing his GM title on someone else.

“I’m thinking about bringing in a high-level basketball person to strengthen our management team,” Colangelo said. “If I brought someone in and a GM title was part of it, it would be a fairly high-calibre person, probably someone with GM credentials already to their name. It’s all in development right now ... I could bring in one, I could bring in several new people.”

Colangelo was speaking on Thursday after CBSSports.com reported that the Raptors were seeking a replacement for Maurizio Gherardini, the vice president of basketball operations whose contract expires June 30. Colangelo disputed the report, saying that while he has yet to address Gherardini’s future — “I’d like to have (Gherardini) back,” he said — the search for new blood isn’t a push to fill a soon-to-be-empty office.

The idea is to bolster an executive team that remains a man short since the August departure of assistant general manager Masai Ujiri, who left to become GM of the Denver Nuggets. Ujiri, who has since impressed with his deft unloading of Carmelo Anthony, was seen by club insiders as a skilled talent evaluator whose contributions are missed.

Part of Colangelo’s existing front-office team is already set. Marc Eversley, the Brampton-bred assistant GM, is under contract for another year, as is Alvin Williams, the director of player development.

Jay Triano, the head coach, has a club option for another year on his current contract that must be exercised by June 15. The rest of the coaching staff — save for assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo, whose deal runs through next year — is also in limbo, as is Jim Kelly, the senior director of scouting.

Colangelo, who only finalized his own two-year contract extension last week and has since been busy preparing for the June 23 draft, wherein the Raptors hold the fifth-overall pick, said the staffing matters will be handled “in due time.”

“It’s a business and we’re looking at every department trying to make sure we’re doing things the right way,” Colangelo said.

“I’ve been here for five years. We’ve been doing things a certain way. There are some things you look at and say, ‘How can we get better? How can we do things a bit differently?’ These are all things I’ve been thinking about for a while. We’ll see how the whole plan formulates.”

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basket...s-front-office
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
bluerap
Local High School Star

Default Re: Colangelo Looking to Bolster Front Office and maybe... a new GM?

Doesn't really mean anything if he gives the GM title to someone as he will still be calling the shots.
If anything, it will give him a scapegoat.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: