Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 05-25-2011, 08:42 AM   #1
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Bargnani Suggests Raptors May Not be his Ideal Team

Lost in translation?

Quote:
Is it foreshadowing or was something lost in translation?

That's the debate revolving around Toronto Raptors centre Andrea Bargnani's recent comments to Italy's Sky Sports, where the former number one pick answered a question about which NBA city he would choose to play for if given the chance to rub a magic lamp and have his wish granted.

"I want to stay in Toronto, at least this is the politically correct answer," Bargnani told Sky Sports in Italian. "If [I am] to go somewhere else, I'd like a warm climate city and a team where I can actually play my role."

After shining the spotlight on Bargnani's comments, Toronto Star columnist Dave Feschuk joined Cybulski and Company on TSN RADIO 1050 on Tuesday afternoon to elaborate.

"The thing about translations is you can interpret what he said in Italian a number of different ways," explained Feshcuk. "Speaking to different people around the NBA today, there was some feeling, and I interpret most of it as damage control, that what he said hadn't been all that inflammatory."

In his column on Tuesday, Feschuk stated that the translation was confirmed by the journalist who did the original interview with Bargnani, Alessandro Mamoli.

Bargani suggesting that he may be interested in leaving for a warmer climate isn't exactly a new script for the Raptors, who have watched one star after another leave the team. The most recent example came during last year's off-season when Chris Bosh joined the Miami Heat.

Feschuk told Cybulski and Company that he spoke with Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo on Tuesday, and that Colangelo wasn't happy about the comments.

This comes on the heels of Colangelo's season-ending press conference, where he openly discussed Bargnani's skills.

"I don't know if he's ever going to be a better defensive player than he is," asked Colangelo at the news conference. "Can he be a better rebounder? Absolutely.

"We know he can rebound, but he doesn't focus on it... That's a desire thing. And that's something he's going to have to come to grips with."

Bargnani addressed Colangelo's critiques in his Sky Sports interview, saying that "[Colangelo] had made some unfortunate and not very courageous comments about me."

Bargnani is coming off a season where he averaged a career-high 21.4 points per game, while adding 5.2 rebounds per game, but the Raptors (22-60) finished the year with the third worst record in the NBA.

"The Raptors did quietly open the door to trading Bargnani this year," said Feschuk. "That was a non-starter in previous years with Bryan Colangelo, because he had a lot at stake with Bargnani, because basically picking Bargnani was his first real, official act as Toronto's general manager or certainly his most significant act as Toronto's general manager in the early days.

"You've always got the sense that Colangelo really wants Bargnani to work out in Toronto and he's been very adamant about not trading him, but that's changed."

Bargnani has five years left on his contract, which will pay him an average of $10-million per season.

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/story/?id=366776

Last edited by RaininThrees : 05-25-2011 at 09:02 AM.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:25 AM   #2
percolator
I brick open layups

percolator has decent reputation
Default Re: Bargnani Suggests Raptors May Not be his Ideal Team

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMa...radeId=3z99wye
percolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #3
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

lol what a big piece of sh!t
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #4
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
If there’s one thing we’ve learned about Andrea Bargnani during his five seasons in Toronto, it might be this: The 25-year-old Raptor expresses himself in words, in both Italian and English, in the same way as he plays defence and rebounds. That is, reluctantly and sparingly.

So the beleaguered fan base of Canada’s 22-win NBA team should sympathize with the lot of Italy’s hoop supporters.

This past weekend, the colour commentary of the Italian feed of a Western Conference final game was provided by, yes, Bargnani.

The Raptor’s counterintuitive turn at the microphone, mind you, did produce at least a couple of notes of interest.

Asked in a feature interview where he’d like to play if he could rub a magic lamp and transport himself to another NBA city, Bargnani told Italy’s Sky Sports: “I want to stay in Toronto, at least this is the politically correct answer. If (I am) to go somewhere else, I’d like a warm climate city and a team where I can actually play in my role.”

Bargnani spoke those sentiments in Italian; the translation was provided by a trusted source, fluent in both Italian and English, and confirmed as accurate by the journalist who conducted the interview, Alessandro Mamoli.

In the wake of a season in which the Raptors quietly opened the door to the possibility of trading Bargnani, perhaps Bargnani can be forgiven for musing about the idea of leaving town.

Still, blue-skying sunnier climes, no matter the intention, isn’t exactly a recipe for Hogtown popularity.

And exactly where the shot-happy Roman would find a more desirable role than he currently enjoys — the Raptors, don't forget, allowed him to jack up 17.8 field-goal attempts a game this past season, second-most among NBA players who haven't made an all-star team — is anyone's guess.

While Mamoli said he doesn’ believe Bargnani’s comments should be interpreted as a hint that he wants out of Toronto — and while NBA sources say no trade request has been made — those words weren’t Bargnani’s only eyebrow-raising utterance of the past week.

Asked on the Sky Sports broadcast about Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo’s post-season assessment of his work, Bargnani replied: “(Colangelo) had some unfortunate and not very courageous comments about me ... The facts are there for everybody to see and judge.”

There’ve been other recent reports in the Italian press in which Bargnani has called Colangelo’s words “uncourageous” — if the 25-year-old was any kind of broadcast analyst, he might have leaned toward “dead-on” or “about time.”

Indeed, while the GM labelled the Italian “the enigma of enigmas,” the essence of his April call-out of the Raptors’ leading scorer didn’t exactly qualify as inflammatory.

As critiques go, it was about as innocuous as a Bargnani box-out (although it was more barbed than anything the GM had ever previously said about the player he selected No. 1 overall in the 2006 draft).

“I don’t know if he’s ever going to be a better defensive player than he is. Can he be a better rebounder? Absolutely,” the GM said of Bargnani at his season-wrapping press conference.

“We know he can rebound, but he doesn’t focus on it ... That’s a desire thing. And that’s something he’s going to have to come to grips with.”

Bargnani, who is currently on vacation, was unavailable for comment. Colangelo, who said he has yet to discuss the matter with his 7-footer, said he blames the Italian media for turning his postseason comments “into a firestorm.”

“The way the Italian media portrayed my comments, I think, was completely out of context ... That’s what I call unfortunate,” Colangelo said Tuesday. “I didn’t say anything derogatory. I said in order for Andrea to get to the next level, he needs to focus on certain things and he needs to improve in certain areas.”

Indeed, there are signs that message appears to be getting through. Mamoli said Bargnani spent some of the Sky Sports interview offering a humble and honest examination of his game.

“(Bargnani) said, ‘I understand what Bryan Colangelo said.’ He said, ‘I need to improve. I know that I have to improve.’ He wasn’t happy about Colangelo’s comments, but he understands these comments, because he knows he’s a young player and he knows he has to improve in his game,” Mamoli said in a phone interview.

“I spent 25 minutes with him and he does not have any problem with Toronto or with Bryan’s comments. He didn’t seem angry. He understands and he accepts what his general manager had to say.”

As for the Roman’s accumen as a broadcaster, it was posed to an Italian TV journalist that Bargnani might be an unnatural choice for media row.

“He’s not known as a great talker in Italian, also,” Mamoli said. “But he has improved. He’s twice the talker he was when he was a rookie ... He actually has some intelligent insight into the game.”

Original Article. My favourite part is the bolded.

We REALLY don't want to get into the facts, now do we Andrea?
Old 05-25-2011, 10:07 AM   #5
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Trouble in paradise? Man I tell you, everything is pointing towards a BC/Bargnani divorce. Make it happen!
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:23 AM   #6
BoogieWoogieMan
Wu is the Way

BoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
"I want to stay in Toronto, at least this is the politically correct answer," Bargnani told Sky Sports in Italian. "If [I am] to go somewhere else, I'd like a warm climate city and a team where I can actually play my role."

With Bargs practically being benched during the final games of the regular season and the comment in bold, I think he will finally get traded during this off season.

Praise be Jesus! Get er done, BC!
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:48 AM   #7
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Where there is smoke, there is usually fire. I like it.
Qwyjibo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #8
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

BC has created this mess. You can only pamper a player so much before you turn them into a totally self-entitled d!ck. In this case one who will be very difficult to get rid of.

I'm now officially starting the countdown for Bargnani defenders to sweep in and pretend that these comments are somehow not as bad as the ones they killed Bosh for making (I for one consider them both d!ck moves). 5...4...3...2...
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 03:30 PM   #9
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
BC has created this mess. You can only pamper a player so much before you turn them into a totally self-entitled d!ck. In this case one who will be very difficult to get rid of.
Yup. For 5 seasons now, BC has cottled Bargnani and sipped his cool-aid both publicly and privately. And now for him to turn around and finally give an honest assessment to the public may not seem like much on the surface, but to him it probably felt like the only remaining supporter within the Toronto organization turned his back on him. All the players exit interviews seemed like subtle shots at him, Jay Triano's press conference wasn't very flattering, and then BC's comments, the icing on the cake. So while I didn't really see BC's comments as out of line, the problem was that they were inconsistent with what he's been telling him all along and comments obviously given so that he could retain his job. That's not the message you want to send of how you treat your players.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by bokes15
Yup. For 5 seasons now, BC has cottled Bargnani and sipped his cool-aid both publicly and privately. And now for him to turn around and finally give an honest assessment to the public may not seem like much on the surface, but to him it probably felt like the only remaining supporter within the Toronto organization turned his back on him. All the players exit interviews seemed like subtle shots at him, Jay Triano's press conference wasn't very flattering, and then BC's comments, the icing on the cake. So while I didn't really see BC's comments as out of line, the problem was that they were inconsistent with what he's been telling him all along and comments obviously given so that he could retain his job. That's not the message you want to send of how you treat your players.

But we dont know what BC's been telling AB all along. We know what BC has been telling US all along, but that might not be congruent with what he's been telling Bargnani privately. This might be what he's been telling him behind closed doors. Like, I doubt BC has sat down in year end interviews with AB and said "You know what? we're totally happy with your poor rebounding and total indifference to playing in your own end".

BC's hung his hat on AB, and has stuck out his neck to stick up for him, putting his public rep on the line. He probably feels (rightly) that Bargnani hasn't lived up to his end of the deal - performing (he hasn't).

While I don't think its ideal for a GM to call out players, at some point, I do think that coaches & management send a message to players (both on & off the team) that the team won't condone players being lazy and complacent.

I do not doubt that if a deal exists for AB that is worthwhile BC would make that deal.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #11
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason

I'm now officially starting the countdown for Bargnani defenders to sweep in and pretend that these comments are somehow not as bad as the ones they killed Bosh for making (I for one consider them both d!ck moves). 5...4...3...2...

I don't think Bargnani will be difficult to get rid of. I'm sure there are plenty of genius GMs out there who think "We can fix him!". What would be interesting would be to see what comes back.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
bokes15
Playoffs!

Maybe it's an assumption on my part, but if he's been telling Bargnani all along the same things he told the media at the end of this season, what reason would Bargnani have to feel slighted? You can coddle someone without telling them, "you're wonderful and your the best thing that's ever happened to this organization."

Last edited by bokes15 : 05-25-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees
I don't think Bargnani will be difficult to get rid of. I'm sure there are plenty of genius GMs out there who think "We can fix him!". What would be interesting would be to see what comes back.

I wonder if we could get a player like Monta Ellis for him. Apparently he's on the block again for some reason. I don't know why the Warriors are always shopping him he's unreal.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 04:59 PM   #14
bokes15
Playoffs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
I wonder if we could get a player like Monta Ellis for him. Apparently he's on the block again for some reason. I don't know why the Warriors are always shopping him he's unreal.
Supposedly and reportedly, attitude problems. And then there was the major injury he got right after they signed him to that huge contract that they were pissed off about and I don't think they believed his story on how it happened. And now add in the fact that they have a 23 year old Steph Curry who appears to be a guy who one day will be able to do everything Monta can do, except better and without the attitude. That said, i'd obviously be ecstatic if we got him in any deal involving Bargnani (which I doubt would happen) but those are some of the reasons why he's being shopped.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:47 PM   #15
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaininThrees

Sure I agree with what you've said. I guess I should have clarified what I meant by difficult to get rid of (i.e. difficult to do without taking back an equally crappy contract/disgruntled player).

I wonder what it'd take for BC to ship Bargnani out however? For me I'd go as low as to take back an expirer, but I'm sure BC wants to hit a home run in order to salvage the pick and his job, which I think will be what makes moving Bargnani difficult for him. Our idea and his idea of a reasonable move are likely two different things.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: