Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 05-29-2011, 10:57 PM   #1
SinJackal
Banned

Default Anyone else count their shooting % when they practice?

I just had 70/105 from three (20 at each spot, but 5 extra at top of the key so I could pump up my % a little XD was 65/100 then got all 5 at the top to give me a nice %)

Sort of just wanted to share that, since it was the best I've gotten so far practicing my threes. 59/100 was my record before that. Had 59/98 and choked on the last 2 for the 60 the time before.

What are you guys' bests from different spots?
SinJackal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:55 AM   #2
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Anyone else count their shooting % when they practice?

The school I've coached at for the past seven years has a shooting machine called The Gun which makes it a lot easier to get a ton of shots up in a short amount of time. What's more, The Gun also tracks your shooting percentage as you go. I was really skeptical when we first bought it, but it's turned out to almost be the best thing ever.

I can't say for sure, but I think my 3pt. percentage usually ranges between about 63 and 68% on a typical day with The Gun (note: that's wide-open spot-up shooting in practice). I usually do a hodgepodge of different shooting workouts at the same time so I tend to get an overall percentage instead of a separate "midrange" and "three point" percentage. Even still, I can generally get a good feel for what my three point percentage is that day based off of how much my overall number is dropping in accordance to how many shots I've taken to that point. And if I recall correctly, it usually does shake out to that mid-60's area or a little lower.

I've often wondered about what my best streak has been from each spot because again, with a shooting machine, the attempts seemingly come ten times faster and your internal tracker tends to shut off as you simply concentrate on each shot at hand. Conversely, when you're just fooling around alone, it seems inherently tougher to build a streak after shooting, chasing, rebounding, then resetting. I believe spotting up with a passer (or machine) is going to be the best time to get a streak going.

The best streak I have consciously been aware of came during a partner workout when we took turns seeing how many threes we could make out of 25 attempts while the other person rebounded and rifled the pass back to the shooter. I made my first 16 (and finished 23 of 25). When purposefully counting a streak, I'm not sure I've ever been in that area code at any other time.

Here is a picture of the shooting machine I speak of. I've always been kind of curious what an average NBA player could do on that thing (i.e. would Joe Smith hit 90% of the midrange jumpers he attempted?):
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 03:55 AM   #3
Maga_1
NBA sixth man of the year

You need to put a lot of arc or spin to the ball to get a good shoot with that machine don't you?
I can see my FT's touching the net with that
Maga_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:55 AM   #4
AJ2k8
Banned

I was gonna say does the net not put you off? Anyway in response to the question i've shot 100 FT's before and i'd usually make 60-70, problem is though that's with a partner and my in game technique takes a little while and i never do it when i have someone rebounding for me, they'd get bored and annoyed
AJ2k8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 04:59 AM   #5
Maga_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ2k8
I was gonna say does the net not put you off? Anyway in response to the question i've shot 100 FT's before and i'd usually make 60-70, problem is though that's with a partner and my in game technique takes a little while and i never do it when i have someone rebounding for me, they'd get bored and annoyed

Not a very good % for free throw shoots, not even for an "amateur" (i think you are right?)
I think free throw shooting is my biggest weakness right now, i'm so irregular.
I can make like 90 in 100 and then make 55 in 100 .. it's horrible.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:10 AM   #6
AJ2k8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maga_1
Not a very good % for free throw shoots, not even for an "amateur" (i think you are right?)
I think free throw shooting is my biggest weakness right now, i'm so irregular.
I can make like 90 in 100 and then make 55 in 100 .. it's horrible.

Yeah it's not ideal but i'd like to see what i shoot now days with my technique, i'm sure it would be closer to 80-85 because my mid range game is much improved since then aswell (think that was about a year ago)

Anyway yeah i'm what you'd call an amateur i play mainly domestic ball and i've recently made a squad in the state development league..
Old 05-30-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
Maga_1

Quote:
Yeah it's not ideal but i'd like to see what i shoot now days with my technique, i'm sure it would be closer to 80-85 because my mid range game is much improved since then aswell (think that was about a year ago)

Anyway yeah i'm what you'd call an amateur i play mainly domestic ball and i've recently made a squad in the state development league..

Still basketball, still the greatest game.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:45 AM   #8
AJ2k8
Banned

Quote:
Still basketball, still the greatest game.

This is true.. What league are you in? National?
Old 05-30-2011, 07:19 AM   #9
Maga_1

Quote:
This is true.. What league are you in? National?

Yesir
Old 05-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
You need to put a lot of arc or spin to the ball to get a good shoot with that machine don't you?
I can see my FT's touching the net with that

Quote:

The net is adjustable but even as it stands in the picture above, it's lower than you think. A "normal" jumpshot will clear the net with no problem whatsoever. Zero arc adjustment or additional spin is needed. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone 12 years old and up who has had to alter their shot to reach it over the net. To put it plainly, it's a none-issue. Practicing free throws works just as effectively as jumpshots.

Speaking of free throws, I am quite confident in my effectiveness from the stripe but I have no idea what the most I've made consecutively is. I'd venture to say, a lot. In actual games, I had a 38/39 free throw streak over a handful of contests and when firing away during practice or workouts, I'm pretty darn consistently hovering around the 85-90% mark. My free throw ability far outreaches my three point ability.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 05-30-2011 at 03:17 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 06:53 PM   #11
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar

only on FT's when i sit there and take 100
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #12
01amberfirewv
Serious playground baller

I counted the other day just shooting most 15 footers. I took 10 shots from 10 different spots and shot around 60%. It seems like no matter what I do I can't get my shooting percentage up. It may be because I am old and really just starting to play but its pretty frustrating.
01amberfirewv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:03 AM   #13
ICanDunk
I really can!

ISH posters can count??
ICanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:12 AM   #14
LebronairJAMES
troll hunter

65 straight freethrows i dont really shoot for a % i shoot to see how many i can get in a row then start again
LebronairJAMES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #15
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

No I never count any stats when I'm playing lol.

I usually have a general idea like "Oh I've made a lot of shot." or "Damn I've grabbed a lot of boards." but never a specific number or stat
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: