Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-19-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
yobore
Great college starter

yobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat coolyobore is considered somewhat cool
Default Stop calling blacks "articulate"

Anyone else notice black people get called articulate or well-spoken about 100x more than white people?

Obama is articulate, Condoleeza is articulate, Colin Powell is articulate, etc.

It's like the media has to point out when a black person talks well to differentiate them from the rest of blacks who are apparently unintelligible. It's like saying "he's not one of them."
yobore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:00 PM   #2
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Interesting point. Now that you mention it though I do think that rather than pointing out when a black person is well spoken, people should make specific note of the people like the Ying Yang Twins who talk like idiots. Maybe if they get called out enough about it they'll stop lol
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 01:05 PM   #3
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

yes we know its a back-handed complement...
Rasheed1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
Starbury4MVP
Banned

Starbury4MVP has no real reputation yet.

I have heard that MILLIONS of times. I have one back friend who read at 8th grade graduation with 3 white people. At rehersal he would speak normally, and my teachers would talk about how well he spoke, but not with any of the white kids.
Starbury4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #5
final.wrath
Banned

final.wrath has decent reputationfinal.wrath has decent reputation

or... you could take it as a compliments when its due.
final.wrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:11 PM   #6
Ryansrams
I hit open 5-footers

Ryansrams has an OK reputation so far

Same thing as comparing a good White hoops player to Larry Bird. Its sad some people just can't make judgments or statments without race involved.
Ryansrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 06:57 AM   #7
Juvenile
High School Varsity 12th Man

Juvenile has no real reputation yet.

All you blacks here are pretty articulate, I really have to admire the way you are able to post on an internet message board.

The finder may keep any irony he might discover in this post
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:02 AM   #8
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

ALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation hereALBballer has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryansrams
Same thing as comparing a good White hoops player to Larry Bird. Its sad some people just can't make judgments or statments without race involved.

Or when they make a point how a certain black "athletic" player is so smart, it's definitely a back-handed compliment like Rasheed said.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 02:58 AM   #9
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

I think part of the problem is that most white people don't really have many close black friends. All they see is the gangster nonsense on TV.
reppy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 03:19 AM   #10
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

and because 95% of white people just don't care and wqanti to get FUKCING WQADTES!!!!!!!
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 05:50 AM   #11
statman32
NBA Legend

statman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterstatman32 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by i seen hippos
and because 95% of white people just don't care and wqanti to get FUKCING WQADTES!!!!!!!
lol huh
statman32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 07:32 AM   #12
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

SCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputation

It goes both ways. Not necessarily just white people saying this stuff. I've heard black dudes talking to their own about "talking too white" or "being too white". Like black people are supposed to sound dumb and ignorant or something. I'm sure many of you have heard it... On the other hand, you have immense amounts of black comedians impersonating white people as a nerdy, intelligent, and articulate race (as if we all got straight A's in english and speech). Sure it's just comedy, but black people too can use the media to drive certain misconceptions and stereotypes. It's not a race thing in my opinion, it's a cultural and sociological thing. Stereotypes run abound, and it's not just toward African Americans.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 09:23 AM   #13
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCdac
It goes both ways. Not necessarily just white people saying this stuff. I've heard black dudes talking to their own about "talking too white" or "being too white". Like black people are supposed to sound dumb and ignorant or something. I'm sure many of you have heard it... On the other hand, you have immense amounts of black comedians impersonating white people as a nerdy, intelligent, and articulate race (as if we all got straight A's in english and speech). Sure it's just comedy, but black people too can use the media to drive certain misconceptions and stereotypes. It's not a race thing in my opinion, it's a cultural and sociological thing. Stereotypes run abound, and it's not just toward African Americans.

^yeah whites do that too... Call white people who hang with black folks ******s or n*gger lovers......

its just pathetic
Rasheed1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:22 AM   #14
TMacsOneGoodEye
College star

TMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this boardTMacsOneGoodEye is popular on this board

It won't stop until the image that blacks portray (and are portrayed as by everyone) changes.

Some of us know not to take that image seriously, but the majority of us don't, hence the reason when we see a black person not acting the way we've been programmed to think black people act we get excited and bring it up.
TMacsOneGoodEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:16 PM   #15
Take Your Lumps
Ho Ho Ho

Take Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation hereTake Your Lumps has an incredible reputation here

I used to hear that all the time about D-Rob. I've heard it several times from white people about Dwight Howard.
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: