Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-23-2006, 02:37 AM   #16
reppy
Apparently likes anime

reppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation herereppy has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
^yeah whites do that too... Call white people who hang with black folks ******s or n*gger lovers......

its just pathetic

"******" is the term usually reserved for kids that try way too hard to look black. You know, wearing a wife beater and got some fake plastic jewelry bling necklace. Trying to speak ebonics and failing miserably.

At least that's how I've already viewed it. You listen to rap? Hang with black dudes? Wear Fubu? I don't care. But when you go over the top and try to imitate every part of black culture..
reppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2006, 03:02 AM   #17
SCdac
Very good NBA starter

SCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputationSCdac has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppy
"******" is the term usually reserved for kids that try way too hard to look black. You know, wearing a wife beater and got some fake plastic jewelry bling necklace. Trying to speak ebonics and failing miserably.

At least that's how I've already viewed it. You listen to rap? Hang with black dudes? Wear Fubu? I don't care. But when you go over the top and try to imitate every part of black culture..

That's the thing. Black people apparently have some sort of paten on slang and urbanized dialects. It's the same thing the original poster is talking about (ie. only white people are articulate, only black people use ebonics). Not all white people are well spoken. Go to the ghettos, the rough parts of town, or the trailer parks and I guarantee you you'll find what people refer to as "******s". Not because they are pretending, but just because they were raised in the same environment as everybody else. It's who they are. You think white kids raised in the ghettos come out sounding like they just graduated from Cambridge? No, they're going to sound just like the black dudes, and everybody else, around them. Just like how black dudes who grow up in nice parts of town (suburbs, etc) don't sound "gangster" or don't use "ebonics", they sound like normal folks. Yet, to some black people, that's "abandoning their race".

I agree that some white people (or Asians, etc) can go too far with the whole "dressing gangster" thing (usually obvious, some B-Rad from the suburbs or something), but when it comes to language and dialect, I think it's all about how, and where, you were raised. Certainly it's not just black people using ebonics, and certainly it's not just white people speaking articulately.

Like I said, it goes both ways. Black people aren't the only victims of stereotypes.

Last edited by SCdac : 12-23-2006 at 03:08 AM.
SCdac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 10:56 AM   #18
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
It's who they are. You think white kids raised in the ghettos come out sounding like they just graduated from Cambridge? No, they're going to sound just like the black dudes, and everybody else, around them. Just like how black dudes who grow up in nice parts of town (suburbs, etc) don't sound "gangster" or don't use "ebonics", they sound like normal folks. Yet, to some black people, that's "abandoning their race".

thats very true

I grew up around a handful of whites before we moved to the suburbs... and they spoke like everyone else... they had the same mannerisms as everyone else in the neighborhood..

and they werent acting
Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 01:28 PM   #19
BeeClips
I airball my layups

BeeClips has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
Interesting point. Now that you mention it though I do think that rather than pointing out when a black person is well spoken, people should make specific note of the people like the Ying Yang Twins who talk like idiots. Maybe if they get called out enough about it they'll stop lol
HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
BeeClips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 07:30 PM   #20
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed1
^yeah whites do that too... Call white people who hang with black folks ******s or n*gger lovers......

its just pathetic

I stay in the heart of the south around white people that loved rap music and had systems in the trucks and have never heard anyone called a "n*gger lover." Thats just some hateful sh*t.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:33 PM   #21
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™

geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here

uhm. but what if a black person IS articulate? we just can't use the word?

why do black people take everything personally? you have to understand how clueless white people are. just think about that for a minute. white people are morons. they're trying, ok? give them points for effort.

I think my favorite thing is what I say "the black guy" to describe someone who is black amongst a sea of people who aren't black and someone gets offended. I just want to ****ing beat them to death. we can't even use descriptive adjectives anymore? I'm trying to refer to the one with the dark skin, that's the most unique thing about him, give me a damn break.

"who?"
"the one who is six foot two, skinny, wearing the red shirt, no, the darker red shirt, um he's laughing right now, oop, no, now he's just smiling... with the "P" hat."
"....who?"
"god damnit, it's the only black guy within a hundred mile radius!"
"ohhhh..... wait a minute, black guy? you racist ****!"

I swear it happens like every week.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 02:45 PM   #22
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
why do black people take everything personally? you have to understand how clueless white people are.

black folks do understand how clueless white people are, thats why they are trying to point you in the right direction....

just take the advice and use it... it'll make it one less time that you look clueless...

just treat black folks like you would treat other folks.....no need to praise their articulation any more than anyone elses....

Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 03:50 PM   #23
i seen hippos
NBA Superstar

i seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posteri seen hippos is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

blacks should let white people be. why can't we hold our misconceptions close to our hearts? it's not hurting anyone. j/k.
i seen hippos is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: