Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-01-2011, 09:53 PM   #16
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation
Default Re: Triano Fired!

Good. Glad to see someone in this organisation getting justly rewarded for his performance (shame the same didn't happen to BC). Hope we strike lucky with the new coach. Worst case scenario he'd be as bad as Triano, and we'd jjst have to try again until we got it right.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:19 PM   #17
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

From Grange:

Quote:
Colangelo was vague in detailing exactly why the change was made, but in outlining his search for a successor Triano’s perceived shortcomings stood out.

“Most of the candidates I will focus on will have a great deal of experience,” he said. “This young team that is obviously developing well under Jay needs to see someone with a pedigree or a résumé – someone who has achieved success.”

As one NBA insider put it: “You know when a guy walks in the room and he just has command and presence and attention of the group? Not that Jay didn’t have that, but that’s what they’re looking for going forward.”

Colangelo dismissed Raptors veteran assistant P.J. Carlesimo as a potential solution, even though he’s the only member of the coaching staff under contract for 2011-12.

In making the case for a coach that could “drill down” on defensive principles, Colangelo is no doubt looking at the success the Chicago Bulls had this season after hiring Thibodeau, who earned NBA coach of the year recognition. After moulding the Boston Celtics into one of the best defensive teams in recent memory as an assistant, Thibodeau showed the impact a coach can have at the defensive end when the Bulls improved to first from 10th in defensive efficiency year over year and won an NBA-best 62 games before losing to the Miami Heat in the Eastern Conference final.

Two names that will doubtless move to the top of the Raptors list are Jeff Van Gundy and Lawrence Frank

To kinda echo what Q said, I doubt there are many coaches who could have achieved success with the situations (mid-season takeover, Bosh's Exit/Turkoglu not trying/rebuilding squad) and players Triano was handed.

Hard to win when you don't have the horses.

That being said, this goes to my further fear, that I put out there in the 'extension' thread: That Colangelo is about to abandon his long term rebuilding plan, and try and piece together a team that will be good for 6th-8th in the conference in 2 years so that he can keep his job when his contract comes due again. From Granges article, the bolded:

Quote:
“He fared well in a lot of areas, but at the end of the day in terms of a gut feel for where this needs to go and how we need to get there and how quickly we want to get there in terms of accelerating the process, Jay and I had a chance to sit down in earnest once my contract situation was resolved …[and] we decided it was time to change the voice, to change the leader at the helm,” Colangelo said on a conference call with reporters.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2043429/
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:41 PM   #18
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

This move makes no sense with next year being a write-off, unless BC doesn't think it's a write-off which is basically worst case scenario.

I was no fan of Jay when we were legitimately trying to win a couple years ago, but for next year I was hoping we'd fire BC and keep Jay, not the other way around it SHOULD be just another rebuild step and I'd much rather improve our GM than coaching situation given those circumstances.

Just silliness.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:05 AM   #19
Doko
High School Starter

Doko has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
That would be interesting, for sure. What kind of coach is he? I hear he's a great coach but I don't know anything about him.

He's considered the greatest active european coach. He is a defense first/system first coach, no individualism, every player has to know exactly what his role is and do it well, nothing more, nothing less.
He's a real general tho, his players often said that playing for him is like being a machine, you just have to execute what he wants you to. That could be a problem translating into the NBA, where usually players matter a lot more than coaches.
He also was Bargnani's first coach and expressed several times interest in coaching him again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkNQG8On90c&playnext=1&list=PLA5273A72EAAA C1F8
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:27 PM   #20
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Well good luck Jay ...

You seem to be a sincere guy in the business.

You did an okay job with the cards you got dealt ; but you really really should have pushed harder on defensive awareness, responsibility and consequences for not meeting the goals i.e minutes taken away.

Never the less you never had some of those cards in your hand to begin with.

Sometimes you just gotta call the pot with a pair of 5s to see if the other guy is bluffing ya know
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:44 PM   #21
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doko
He's considered the greatest active european coach. He is a defense first/system first coach, no individualism, every player has to know exactly what his role is and do it well, nothing more, nothing less.
He's a real general tho, his players often said that playing for him is like being a machine, you just have to execute what he wants you to. That could be a problem translating into the NBA, where usually players matter a lot more than coaches.
He also was Bargnani's first coach and expressed several times interest in coaching him again.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Quote:
Let’s get this out of the way right now, shall we.

Do not -- NOT -- think for a second that Ettore Messina -- the Euro Flavour Of The Past Months -- is in the mix as the coach.

I cannot for a second think Bryan hands over a young team to a guy who’s never coached an NBA practice, let alone a game, or let alone a player. And nor should he.

Agree with Smith for once.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:06 PM   #22
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Agree with Smith for once.

Do not not think? Double negative? We should think that?

Just kidding, but I agree with what he's saying.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:37 PM   #23
b4ball
Local High School Star

b4ball has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
This move makes no sense with next year being a write-off, unless BC doesn't think it's a write-off which is basically worst case scenario.

I was no fan of Jay when we were legitimately trying to win a couple years ago, but for next year I was hoping we'd fire BC and keep Jay, not the other way around it SHOULD be just another rebuild step and I'd much rather improve our GM than coaching situation given those circumstances.

Just silliness.

Are you sugesting that Jay should have been offered a one year contract, or that he'd accept a one year contract?
b4ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:47 PM   #24
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

3 people who led the organization:

the player - Bosh
the coach - Triano
the GM - Colangelo

after the dust settles the only one left is the one who did the worst job, made this huge mess, and here we are with him on a new contract and the team with less direction than it's ever had

BEAUTIFUL SITUATION
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:56 PM   #25
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4ball
Are you sugesting that Jay should have been offered a one year contract, or that he'd accept a one year contract?

It was a team-option so he kinda had to accept it or he'd have no job at all next year. Besides given his acceptance of a "promotion" it's not like there's any evidence that other teams were chomping at the bit to have him as head coach, so he had no other options. So yes, that's what I expected. A one year deal just to get another tanking year over with. The young players were developing fine so I take it BC wanted to find a coach who he thought would help us win more games and save his job. This is not good for a team that needs to rebuild.

Last edited by DJMason : 06-02-2011 at 08:03 PM.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:57 PM   #26
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doko

Can't see that working in the NBA, but he'd be an elite college coach I bet.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:03 PM   #27
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat coolNastradamus is considered somewhat cool

I think Colangelo was dealt a tough hand. He had to juggle rebuillding the team the way he wanted to with trying to make Bosh happy enough to stay. I think he has done a good job though overall. He has added athleticism,youth and defense at most every position. What he does with his 2 1sts this year will be key, but they are in solid shape with guys like Derozan,Davis,Bargs,Bayless,Alabi and the 2 Johnsons. If they get a good player at 5, they'll look pretty damn good. They also have a TPE to work with. The Turk and Jack signings were bad, but his ability to get out of both of them I thought was pretty good.

I think its good that he was extended. He gets to see this young core through a little bit that way and he has a good track record of identifying talent. This organization is not likely to do better than Colangelo right now IMO. I don't know who he'll take at 5, but again, that's key. I've heard a few sites mention that their board is probably Knight,Kanter,Walker. I'm guessing that means they don't see Bayless as any sort of answer.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:29 PM   #28
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

InspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableInspiredLebowski is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I know most of you hate BC, for good reason.

This is worth a read.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:24 PM   #29
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
I think Colangelo was dealt a tough hand.
I think it's the exact opposite. He came in to a great rebuilding situation. But instead of being smart in building the team up, he rushed into building a mediocre playoff contender. I don't even see why he chose to do that. He had a long-term contract and should not have felt rushed to build an instant playoff team.

- Young All-Star PF in Bosh
- 2 decent young assets in Villanueva and Calderon
- Expiring contracts
- #1 overall pick won soon after he joined.

That's a great base to build upon. The only slack I'll give Colangelo is the TJ Ford injuries. I loved the Villanueva for Ford trade and that was just some shit luck.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #30
Toni
The Clumsy Waiter

Toni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat coolToni is considered somewhat cool

I think we should've just took the option on his contract. There are no suitable replacements and next year is a rebuilding year anyways. Is Lawrence Frank still available? I know he had two interviews with the Rockets but I don't know if he signed. I always liked him as a coach he was very defensive minded and considered at one point one of the best young basketball minds in the game today.

I remember reading an article in the Star that Bargnani also wanted him to coach the team. Not sure how much weight that bears but it's something.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...609 34&spln=1
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: