Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 06-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #31
Burgz
Banned

Burgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this boardBurgz is popular on this board
Default Re: Triano Fired!

if they want defense and pedigree it has to be frank

adelman would be a perfect fit i think, he does wonders with young talent
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #32
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I think it's the exact opposite. He came in to a great rebuilding situation. But instead of being smart in building the team up, he rushed into building a mediocre playoff contender. I don't even see why he chose to do that. He had a long-term contract and should not have felt rushed to build an instant playoff team.

- Young All-Star PF in Bosh
- 2 decent young assets in Villanueva and Calderon
- Expiring contracts
- #1 overall pick won soon after he joined.

That's a great base to build upon. The only slack I'll give Colangelo is the TJ Ford injuries. I loved the Villanueva for Ford trade and that was just some shit luck.

I think He started a real rebuilding program, but fooled himself into thinking that the success that they had in '06-07 had more to do with the talent they had on the team, rather than the lack of talent around it. With this flawed mindset, he tried to accelerate the process in year 2, and failed and then spent the rest of the time trying to fix his initial mistake, without tearing it back down.

But I agree with Q - he had a perfect situation handed to him by Embury.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #33
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Nastradamus has decent reputationNastradamus has decent reputation

Uh, if Calderon and Charlie V are your "assets", your franchise is about to suck for a while. I am very confused by this sentiment. 2 horrible, no defense, no intensity players who put up offensive stats that don't lead to wins. Yeesh.

Bargs is an interesting debate. Should they have taken Roy,Aldridge or Gay? Yes, but at the time it wasn't so clear. He took the best talent in his opinion and it didn't fit well with Bosh.

I still think he was stuck between buillding around Bosh or building for post-bosh, as everyone knew Bosh wasn't coming back by the end of 08-09 IMO. Since then he has added a lot of youth,defense and athleticism to this team and has them headed in the right direction. He has to wait out Calderon's horrible deal and make a decision on Bargs. Put him at the 4 and build around him or trade him for whatever scraps you can. Again, the picks this year will be key. Would you give up Bargs/Alabi for Javale Mcgee and Blatche? You get your C, get Bargs out of the way, let Blatche,Davis and Johnson fight for minutes at the 4 and backup 5(a good 65 minutes or so) and save significant money on the switch. Not easy to get a young C like Mcgee. Go Knight/Walker at 5 to get a leader for your team and take one of the shooting 3s with the other 1st(Bertans and Mirotvic).
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:54 PM   #34
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Also, with Walsh fired, there is lots of D'antoni to Toronto talk.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:02 PM   #35
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nastradamus
Also, with Walsh fired, there is lots of D'antoni to Toronto talk.
If there's one person i'd like to see coach this team less than Jay Triano, it's Mike D'antoni.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #36
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Uh, if Calderon and Charlie V are your "assets", your franchise is about to suck for a while. I am very confused by this sentiment. 2 horrible, no defense, no intensity players who put up offensive stats that don't lead to wins. Yeesh.

Calderon was coming off by far his best NBA season and Charlie V had just finished a very promising rookie campaign. Reading it now seems silly, but back then, those two players had tons of value.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:53 PM   #37
RaininThrees
Meats Don't Clash

RaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRaininThrees is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

Bargs is an interesting debate. Should they have taken Roy,Aldridge or Gay? Yes, but at the time it wasn't so clear. He took the best talent in his opinion and it didn't fit well with Bosh.

I still think he was stuck between buillding around Bosh or building for post-bosh, as everyone knew Bosh wasn't coming back by the end of 08-09 IMO. Since then he has added a lot of youth,defense and athleticism to this team and has them headed in the right direction. He has to wait out Calderon's horrible deal and make a decision on Bargs. Put him at the 4 and build around him or trade him for whatever scraps you can. Again, the picks this year will be key. Would you give up Bargs/Alabi for Javale Mcgee and Blatche? You get your C, get Bargs out of the way, let Blatche,Davis and Johnson fight for minutes at the 4 and backup 5(a good 65 minutes or so) and save significant money on the switch. Not easy to get a young C like Mcgee. Go Knight/Walker at 5 to get a leader for your team and take one of the shooting 3s with the other 1st(Bertans and Mirotvic).

I feel you're way off on Colangelo's time line in TO:

How does what people may or may not have known about Bosh in 2009 have anything to do with the situation Colangelo was given in 06/07? The choice when he joined was obvious: build around a very young all star PF. He wasn't able to do it, which caused Bosh to walk.
RaininThrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:06 PM   #38
Nastradamus
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Calderon was coming off by far his best NBA season and Charlie V had just finished a very promising rookie campaign. Reading it now seems silly, but back then, those two players had tons of value.
e
There's some truth here. Trading a valuable big like CV at the time was pretty stupid. I mean, trading him was smart, but trading him for a selfish PG, when you already had a PG who was actually good, was terrible. Ford is just such a god awful player. Can't defend,score or run an offense that makes others better. I truly hate him as an NBA player.

Calderon wasn't going to be dealt at that point though. A PG like him was just what they needed at the time. His regression has hurt the team a lot.

Taking Bargs wasn't a horrible pick, but it was a horrible fit. This team never had the defenders and playmakers it needed. Its too bad Jermaine O'Neal didn't work out better.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:32 PM   #39
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Chamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputationChamberlain has a terrific reputation

Absolutely. Trading for Ford at the time was kind of silly with Calderon on board, but much like I said in the other post, Ford looked like a very promising young player.

Obviously everything now looks different with Ford and Calderon both regressing, along with Villanueva. Not to mention Bargnani not really working out the way anyone hoped.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #40
Doko
High School Starter

Doko has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef
http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

Agree with Smith for once.

Other than legendary coaches like Sloan or Brown he's the best coach available IMO.
He's great at developing young players, which is exactly what we need, and he'd have the time to adjust to the NBA while doing that, since a lot of you guys think that we will suck next year anyways.
I'd be thrilled to see him working for this franchise, it would be really huge.
Doko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:25 PM   #41
keantona
I hit open 5-footers

keantona has decent reputation

I'd be on board with giving Messina a shot. He might be a total flop, he might revolutionize the way NBA people think about coaching. Next year's almost certainly a write off anyway, so we might as well try something radical. I'll be pissed if the eventual first 'European coach' in the NBA is a success for some other team than the Raptors.
keantona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:53 PM   #42
kmart
No props needed

kmart has an OK reputation so far

If Messina is going to the NBA I believe that hes going to be an assistant first to help break some barriers between his mind and the North American game. He should be brought up slowly as an NBA coach.
kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #43
BRabbiT

BRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBRabbiT is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

frank's a good fit (imo).
BRabbiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #44
bballnoob
Decent college freshman

bballnoob is considered somewhat coolbballnoob is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chamberlain
Absolutely. Trading for Ford at the time was kind of silly with Calderon on board, but much like I said in the other post, Ford looked like a very promising young player.

Obviously everything now looks different with Ford and Calderon both regressing, along with Villanueva. Not to mention Bargnani not really working out the way anyone hoped.

As well, Calderon showed nothing that would indicate that he would be a starting PG in his first year (before Ford was brought aboard). He vastly improved his jumpshot that first season with Ford. Using Calderon as a reason not to acquire Ford is pure hindsight, nobody was ready to hand the reigns over to Jose that offseason.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 PM   #45
bluerap
Good High School Starter

bluerap has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni
I think we should've just took the option on his contract. There are no suitable replacements and next year is a rebuilding year anyways. Is Lawrence Frank still available? I know he had two interviews with the Rockets but I don't know if he signed. I always liked him as a coach he was very defensive minded and considered at one point one of the best young basketball minds in the game today.

I remember reading an article in the Star that Bargnani also wanted him to coach the team. Not sure how much weight that bears but it's something.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...609 34&spln=1

The Rockets hired Kevin McHale. There is only one other open job in the nba in Golden State. Possibly New york will open up too.

Please do not bring D'Antoni to Toronro!

Of the available candidates I think Frank is the best option. He is also a realistic possibility. I can't see an older coach agreeing to work with such a young team. Maybe Rich Adelman, but Jerry Sloan and Larry Brown would only likely consider a veteran team. Not interested in Adelman or any coach that has never lead a team in the nba.

Smith also said that he has heard Frank's name come up.
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: