Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 06-03-2011, 05:33 AM   #1
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default The key to Dirk's game winner. The hesitation move.

Lots of folks are saying that Chris Bosh played bad defense on Dirk's game-winner. If you don't look close it just looks like Dirk just rolled to the basket. But if you do look close you can see a great offensive move by Mr. Dirk Nowitzki

Let's look at the play

Did you see it? The key to making the move work?

First off, you can't give Nowitzki room, so Bosh has got to play him chest tight. Bosh at first is doing a good job of this, so Dirk has to create some space and he pivots and then spins. Then just as he finishes the spin, he gives a microfake, just a bit of his foot and head like he's about to go into his patented stepback and Bosh straigthens up to try to contest the jump shot and that's all Dirk needs and the layup is his.

That was a subtle move. He hesitates his momemtum for a fraction of a second then shifts to drive the lane just at the same time Bosh is raising his center of gravity up and thus he can't stay in front of him.
KevinNYC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:36 AM   #2
FindingTim
National High School Star

FindingTim is considered somewhat coolFindingTim is considered somewhat coolFindingTim is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: The key to Dirk's game winner. The hesitation move.

yup, it's subtle though. of course, if Dirk's mid-range wasn't money, Bosh might not have fallen for the hesitation.

Either way, nice move, and great left-handed finish (with a torn finger no less)
FindingTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:40 AM   #3
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

KevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKevinNYC is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Exactly, you fear his jump shot and that's what leaves you vulnerable to the drive.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:45 AM   #4
sodap
Serious playground baller

sodap has an OK reputation so far

lets not underrate this game winner... its the finals and the move was ****ing epic, we'll remember this one for a long time
sodap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:47 AM   #5
LosBulls
Bulls Fan Since 2010

LosBulls posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryLosBulls posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Dirk will do this move a lot more in game 3
LosBulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:19 AM   #6
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

good OP.

of course there's also the issue of why bosh didn't give the non-shooting foul. if he'd done so, the mavs would have had to set up all over again and likely have produced a rushed or semi-rushed shot.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:48 AM   #7
BarberSchool
93 MJ Uber Alles

BarberSchool has not been impressing people

Yeah, he faked me out. I was thinking it was gonna be the same spin to one footed jumper that he did on Gasol. But he put that spin on, then a hesitation dribble, then one dribble and the long stride and extension past Haslem after Chandler gave Haslem just enough of a hand in the back to change his trajectory. Chandler also had two great screens during that run, one for Marion on a layup preventing the help D, and the other on Haslem again to free Dirk for the three that broke the tie and put Dallas up 93-90.

We'll remember the spin-hesitation move for sure, as well as the three and two jumpshots, but years from now, I hope everyone remembers Chandler's screens and little subtle helping hands.
BarberSchool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:55 AM   #8
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Chandler looked like he really came to play last night.

As to why they did use their foul, yeah, um, I dunno.

Also why not double Dirk? Lebron was Staying with Terry, but I say make Terry make the shot. Also Haslem wasn't sure about leaving Chandler......he started and stopped and started again as Dirk comes down the lane, but he was too late. I think he was worried about the alley oop or the offensive rebound. Anyhoo, I would have doubled Dirk and lived with the consequences.
Old 06-03-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
DCL
NBA rookie of the year

DCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this boardDCL is popular on this board

the white guy took bosh to school
DCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #10
MavsPoke
High School Varsity 6th Man

MavsPoke is considered somewhat coolMavsPoke is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinNYC
Chandler looked like he really came to play last night.

As to why they did use their foul, yeah, um, I dunno.

Also why not double Dirk? Lebron was Staying with Terry, but I say make Terry make the shot. Also Haslem wasn't sure about leaving Chandler......he started and stopped and started again as Dirk comes down the lane, but he was too late. I think he was worried about the alley oop or the offensive rebound. Anyhoo, I would have doubled Dirk and lived with the consequences.

Dirk can pass off that drive if Haslem comes over to Dirk too soon. It would have been a dunk or a foul for Chandler.

What surprised me the most was the play before when Dirk hit the crazy cold blooded in your face 3. Haslem got straight up punked by Chandler's man sized screen and Lebron seriously just stood and watched Dirk drill the 3. He was covering Terry and didn't want HIS man to hit the shot I guess.

But I was surprised by how much towards the end all the help defense by Miami sucked. It's like they had some trust issues that I had not seen up until this point. Before the final minutes Miami's help defense was incredible. Close outs with no hesitation, because they knew someone else would pick up their man. It disrupted the Mavs all night, but at the end they stopped trusting each other.
MavsPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
Crown&Coke
Stay Strong Droth

Crown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation hereCrown&Coke has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsPoke
Dirk can pass off that drive if Haslem comes over to Dirk too soon. It would have been a dunk or a foul for Chandler.

What surprised me the most was the play before when Dirk hit the crazy cold blooded in your face 3. Haslem got straight up punked by Chandler's man sized screen and Lebron seriously just stood and watched Dirk drill the 3. He was covering Terry and didn't want HIS man to hit the shot I guess.

But I was surprised by how much towards the end all the help defense by Miami sucked. It's like they had some trust issues that I had not seen up until this point. Before the final minutes Miami's help defense was incredible. Close outs with no hesitation, because they knew someone else would pick up their man. It disrupted the Mavs all night, but at the end they stopped trusting each other.

I was shocked at that too. Lebron was just standing there while Haslem tried to get through Tyson. Dirk had tons of time and he just drilled it.

and nail on the head, coldblooded. Damn its hard not to like Dirk
Crown&Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
100grandman
I hit open layups

100grandman has not been impressing people

All of Dirk's penetration moves look slow as hell. It's like he has cement in his shoes. And yet somehow they work. The only reason they work is because of his height and length.
100grandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:25 PM   #13
MavsPoke
High School Varsity 6th Man

MavsPoke is considered somewhat coolMavsPoke is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100grandman
All of Dirk's penetration moves look slow as hell. It's like he has cement in his shoes. And yet somehow they work. The only reason they work is because of his height and length.

Right. Some people are fast. Some are tall. Some are strong. You do what ya can with what God gave ya. Barkley was undersized, but man, was he strong. Dirk is pretty unorthodox, it's no secret. But that is part of what makes him great.

That lefty driving floater has served him well this playoffs. Pretty sure he had a game winner with Pau guarding him in the Lakers series as well.
MavsPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #14
LeFraud Shames
Banned

LeFraud Shames has no real reputation yet.

LeFraud Shames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #15
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100grandman

Actually, my post is about exactly the opposite. You have to play him so tight because his length, but the reason he was able to get a wide open layup on that play is not due to his height. It's due to the fact, that he was able to change his defender's momentum and then shift his own momentum fast enough to take advantage of it. Same principle as a sick crossover move, but on a smaller scale, which is why it was so easy to miss. So even though he was doing his move slow, he still was able to have the same effect and leave his defender behind.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: