Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 08-15-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
UK2K
NBA Legend

Default Trump: "Are we going to take down statues to George Washington? How about Thomas Jeff

Savage.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
Doomsday Dallas
2017/18 SB Champs

Default Re: Trump: "Are we going to take down statues to George Washington? How about Thomas Jeff

you are next Albert....

to soon be replaced with a statue of me:

Doomsday Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #3
oarabbus
3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Trump: "Are we going to take down statues to George Washington? How about Thomas Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K
Savage.

T Jeff and G Wash were WINNERS. Leave their statues up.

The Confederates were losers, shameful and disgraceful LOSERS. We should not glorify fu.cking losers in this great country. No participation trophies for war.
oarabbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:38 PM   #4
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Statue Lives Matter
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:39 PM   #5
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

The problem wasn't protesting the removal of the statue. I actually agree that historical monuments should stay right where they are, as a reminder of where we came from, and where we're going. If a statue is insulting because of its racist roots, then that serves as a great reminder to all of us. You don't cover up the past, you embrace it, and learn from it.

The problem with the protest was the torches and the Nazi salutes. The problem was the Nazi flags, and weapons, and racist chants. I really don't give a shit about the statue, and like I said, would probably vote to keep it right where it is.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #6
Patrick Chewing
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by oarabbus
The Confederates were losers, shameful and disgraceful LOSERS. We should not glorify fu.cking losers in this great country. No participation trophies for war.

They were the same. The Confederates just decided to keep the slaves. That's all that separates them. Had the South won, you'd be praising Lee and Co. Prior to Lee leading the Confederacy, he was a decorated member of the United States army.

No difference big boy.
Patrick Chewing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #7
oarabbus
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
They were the same. The Confederates just decided to keep the slaves. That's all that separates them. Had the South won, you'd be praising Lee and Co. Prior to Lee leading the Confederacy, he was a decorated member of the United States army.

No difference big boy.

No shit if the south won I and everyone else would be praising Lee and shitting on Grant. Too bad that the confederates got their sorry asses handed to them. For the record Lee was actually a pretty impressive guy overall if you read up on the history, not really his fault he decided to stay loyal to those close to him and it resulted in him staying with the losing side.
Anyone who knows history is aware of this.

But I don't glorify losers, and neither should you.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:49 PM   #8
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason
The problem wasn't protesting the removal of the statue. I actually agree that historical monuments should stay right where they are, as a reminder of where we came from, and where we're going. If a statue is insulting because of its racist roots, then that serves as a great reminder to all of us. You don't cover up the past, you embrace it, and learn from it.

The problem with the protest was the torches and the Nazi salutes. The problem was the Nazi flags, and weapons, and racist chants. I really don't give a shit about the statue, and like I said, would probably vote to keep it right where it is.
Yep the bigger problem is that Trump is effectively trying to deflect the focus of the Nazis onto 'the left'.

He's doing what his hardcore followers in here do...when Trump does something negative, his followers deflect whatever happened by talking about Hillary. Here a Nazi group killed a liberal protesting, so maybe Trump can even things up by deflecting attention to statues...or BLM.

Ultimately if Trump keeps trying to deflect attention from the Nazis, it will be seen by others as him trying to defend them and take their side, which is an awful look for a President.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:52 PM   #9
Patrick Chewing
Warrior

Quote:
No shit if the south won I and everyone else would be praising Lee and shitting on Grant. Too bad that the confederates got their sorry asses handed to them. For the record Lee was actually a pretty impressive guy overall if you read up on the history, not really his fault he decided to stay loyal to those close to him and it resulted in him staying with the losing side.
Anyone who knows history is aware of this.

But I don't glorify losers, and neither should you.

No one here is glorifying Lee or the Confederacy. But there is something to be said about the historical impact of these people, and how their presence should always be there in the annals of American History as a reminder of where we have been, and where we have yet to go.

I'm an Gen X'er and I see these kids today just clueless as all hell. Removing these statues or monuments does more harm than good. You can't whitewash History, you can only learn from it.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:54 PM   #10
oarabbus
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~
Yep the bigger problem is that Trump is effectively trying to deflect the focus of the Nazis onto 'the left'.

He's doing what his hardcore followers in here do...when Trump does something negative, his followers deflect whatever happened by talking about Hillary. Here a Nazi group killed a liberal protesting, so maybe Trump can even things up by deflecting attention to statues...or BLM.

Ultimately if Trump keeps trying to deflect attention from the Nazis, it will be seen by others as him trying to defend them and take their side, which is an awful look for a President.

This. How are people ok with people carrying nazi flags and american flags with swastikas on them lol.
Old 08-15-2017, 05:59 PM   #11
Patrick Chewing
Warrior

Quote:
This. How are people ok with people carrying nazi flags and american flags with swastikas on them lol.

The same way people are ok with seeing someone burn the flag or stomp on it. It's a free country and it is protected under the Constitution. I don't like it one bit, but you don't see me acting like an ape out there screaming and hollering and pulling shit down. This isn't Iraq.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:21 PM   #12
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
T Jeff and G Wash were WINNERS. Leave their statues up.

Is that why there's a statue of Vladimir Lenin in Seattle?

Because he won at genocide?

To your point, James Madison owned hundreds of slaves and lost the war of 1812.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #13
FireDavidKahn
The Puppeteer

Except Washington wasn't a traitor to the United States that fought to keep slavery alive.

He was also, as I hope you are aware, the reason we even exist as a country.
FireDavidKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:24 PM   #14
FireDavidKahn
The Puppeteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreason

Statues that glorify traitors that fought for horrendous issues like slavery shouldn't be tolerated.

It'd be like saying that a statue of Hitler would be appropriate in Berlin just so they can embrace it and remember their history.
FireDavidKahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:27 PM   #15
Patrick Chewing
Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDavidKahn
Except Washington wasn't a traitor to the United States that fought to keep slavery alive.

He was also, as I hope you are aware, the reason we even exist as a country.

You guys always have a "But...." in your line of reasoning.

Before today, Lee and Co. were racist slave owners. Now that History has shown that mostly every leader in that time period and before were slave owners, well...Lee and Co. were traitors! Traitors I say!
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: