Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 12-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #1
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Default Making a Murderer (netflix doc)

This has to be one of the craziest documentaries I have ever seen. A great way to lose your faith in humanity this christmas!

Nanners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
KNOW1EDGE
OREGrOwN

Default Re: Making a Murderer (netflix doc)

I just finished it last night.

One of the most obvious cases of police corruption I have ever seen. I am still sick to my stomach knowing that they are both in prison over this.

I literally want to punch so many people in the face.
KNOW1EDGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:31 AM   #3
enayes
Barefoot Bandit

I considered watching this but was afraid it might be like those dateline/60 minutes murder stories that repeat the same information over and over again instead of just moving on with the story.
enayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 12:53 AM   #4
brandonislegend
Old School Cool

Pretty crazy.....

The Jinx is another good murder doc.
brandonislegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:04 AM   #5
Nanners
hugh mungus what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by enayes
I considered watching this but was afraid it might be like those dateline/60 minutes murder stories that repeat the same information over and over again instead of just moving on with the story.

its not like that at all. its a very well made documentary.
Nanners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:08 AM   #6
GIF REACTION
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanners
its not like that at all. its a very well made documentary.
How would you know? Have you even seen it bro
GIF REACTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:45 PM   #7
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

The documentary was heavily biased towards the defense. The filmmakers left out some key details, ie- Avery was charged with dousing a cat with gasoline and burning it alive (not directly linked to the case but shows what he's capable of), he was accused of raping two women (not counting the one he was wrongly jailed for. He admitted to his girlfriend Jody or w/e her name was that he raped one woman... probably why she left him.), his dried sweat was found under the hood of the victim's car.

IMO it's a scenario much like OJ's case- Avery committed the crime, but the police planted/doctored evidence to bolster the case.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:46 PM   #8
Bourne
Valancais for RoY

This is a guy who points guns at people and burned his family's cat alive.

And a heavily slanted and engineered documentary just bent you over a barrel....
Bourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:04 PM   #9
ALBballer
Religion? LOL? WTF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
The documentary was heavily biased towards the defense. The filmmakers left out some key details, ie- Avery was charged with dousing a cat with gasoline and burning it alive (not directly linked to the case but shows what he's capable of), he was accused of raping two women (not counting the one he was wrongly jailed for. He admitted to his girlfriend Jody or w/e her name was that he raped one woman... probably why she left him.), his dried sweat was found under the hood of the victim's car.

IMO it's a scenario much like OJ's case- Avery committed the crime, but the police planted/doctored evidence to bolster the case.

I agree for the most part but I think there is reasonable doubt that Stephen Avery did not commit the murder and the jury should of not convicted him. BTW I don't believe there was sweat under the victim's car rather the prosecutor's alleged it was sweat but in reality it was just Avery's DNA which could easily be planted.

But I almost convinced that Brendan Dassey had nothing to do with the murder and his case IMO is much stronger.
ALBballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:20 PM   #10
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBballer
I agree for the most part but I think there is reasonable doubt that Stephen Avery did not commit the murder and the jury should of not convicted him. BTW I don't believe there was sweat under the victim's car rather the prosecutor's alleged it was sweat but in reality it was just Avery's DNA which could easily be planted.

Most definitely. But the documentary did slant very heavily in favor of the defense and Avery. And I'm positive that some of the evidence was planted/doctored by police, particularly those keys.

Quote:
But I almost convinced that Brendan Dassey had nothing to do with the murder and his case IMO is much stronger.

I don't know if he didn't have anything to do with it. But the bulk of his 'confession' to police should never have been admissible in court.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:52 PM   #11
MP.Trey
Kyrieeee & L-Traaaaiin

At least they have physical evidence for Steven, planted or not.

How they locked up Brendan, a not so bright kid who was obviously intimidated and bullied into one wildly inconsistent confession, I'll never understand. Just after they convicted Steven, saying he was the sole person responsible, they lock Brendan up for the same crime.
MP.Trey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:11 PM   #12
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59

The cat thing actually was touched upon early in the documentary. I'm as avid an animal rights person as you'll find and if he were being punished for that (which he did as a juvenile fwiw), I'd be all for it... but I don't see why it would be a major focus of the documentary. A mention at the beginning (which is what they did) is all that was necessary, imo. I think it was accompanied by Avery saying something like, "I admit the wrong things I have done in life ... "

I didn't think any of the stuff that prosecution has trotted out as being intentionally "left out" by the filmmakers to make Avery look innocent were all that important, tbh. The main arguments made by the prosecution in court were contained in the doc. There were some interesting things they left out from the defense side, too.

For instance, Avery's lawyers put a forensic anthropologist on the stand who testified that an open fire -- like the one prosecution claims Avery used to dispose of the victim's body -- would never have generated enough heat to burn a body in the way the bones were destroyed. To me, that is pretty damning testimony and it really calls into question the prosecution's entire scenario of events.

Also, there were little blood droplets from killed deer found all over the garage in which prosecution claimed the victim was shot (where the bullet was found). That essentially debunks the idea that the blood could have been cleaned up, because the deer blood would have also been cleaned in the process.

Neither of those facts were mentioned in the documentary. It was a long trial and I'm sure they had to pick and choose to move along the story.

Being found guilty is an incredibly high threshold. I'm not saying Avery had nothing to do with her death. But, I didn't think the state even came close to meeting the "without a reasonable doubt" standard, with or without the additional evidence not included in the documentary (from either side).

Brendan Dassey is just a flat-out travesty. That confession was coerced, plain and simple, and since it was the only thing connecting him to the crime, I feel safe in saying he had nothing to do with it and a clearly innocent person is sitting behind bars. To me, that was far and away the most egregious part of the documentary.

Watching those confessions and then his own "defense" working with the police was stomach churning.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #13
JohnFreeman
Lovely stuff.

I actually think he is guilty.
JohnFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:18 PM   #14
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
I actually think he is guilty.
...beyond a reasonable doubt?

The burden of proof is on the state, not the accused.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:20 PM   #15
JohnFreeman
Lovely stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
...beyond a reasonable doubt?
No, I think it should go back to trial. I have read an interesting article on some of the evidence the police found that was NOT included in the documentary
JohnFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: