Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-30-2013, 01:16 AM   #1576
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
I feel like its a huge mistake for Canelo to fight Floyd this fast but you can't be mad at the man for taking what will likely be a 20 mil payday

how is it a big mistake? He's what 22? If he loses he can say he fought the best fighter and it won't hurt his career. As long as he doesn't totally get abused and wiped out its a win win situation for Canelo. If he waits he risks the chance of losing out on the Mayweather sweepstakes.
WWRWestbrookDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:24 AM   #1577
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

If you go on Boxing forums all the haters are talking about the 152 catch weight Can't make everyone happy I guess but its better than the 147 weight..

I bet you people are going to say Mayweather left 147 to duck Matthyesse haha

Last edited by WWRWestbrookDo? : 05-30-2013 at 01:28 AM.
WWRWestbrookDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:29 AM   #1578
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWRWestbrookDo?
how is it a big mistake? He's what 22? If he loses he can say he fought the best fighter and it won't hurt his career. As long as he doesn't totally get abused and wiped out its a win win situation for Canelo. If he waits he risks the chance of losing out on the Mayweather sweepstakes.
Because I don't think he'll win a round and I'll be absolutely shocked if he wins more than 2.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #1579
Bobcats2013
Gettin Jiggy wit Iggy

Quote:

The fight is going to be boring regardless but with tons of tension. Both of them prefer the one shot.

It won't hurt Alvarez's career if he loses, but if he wins he'll be on De La Hoya level instantly. Doesn't matter how he wins either, he can lose all 12 rounds to one. He's the good guy, people will defend him no matter what.
Bobcats2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:01 AM   #1580
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
If you go on Boxing forums all the haters are talking about the 152 catch weight Can't make everyone happy I guess but its better than the 147 weight..

I bet you people are going to say Mayweather left 147 to duck Matthyesse haha
Same thing if you go back a page on this thread.

Funny thing is, I'd bet 99-percent of it is coming from Pacquiao fans, who is the king of the catchweight. I wonder if they had a problem with Pacquiao forcing Cotto to come down to 145 even after Manny had fought DLH at full welterweight? I'm thinking no.

I've never been wild about catchweights. I would have preferred this fight to happen at 147 or 154, but if ever a fight made sense to have at a catchweight, it's this one. Regardless, Alvarez will have an enormous size advantage on a fight night and I highly doubt the 2 pounds at the weigh-in will make any difference at all.

A lot of times, this is more about a pride thing during negotiations. Sad but true. Still, Floyd will probably come into the fight around 152. I think that is about as big as he can get without losing some of what makes him great. And, Floyd came up five pounds from where he's champ, while Canelo came down 2.

The fight itself? I'm on record as saying it won't all that close and I expect Floyd to give Canelo a boxing lesson. I don't think Canelo is even close to seasoned enough to step in against far and away the best pure boxer of a generation.

With that said, Mayweather has never fought a guy close to this big. Sergio Martinez completely overmatched JCC Jr. for 10 rounds before the weight really started wearing on him. By the 11th, he was running on fumes and he was lucky to make it out of the fight.

Now, Mayweather is a lot better than Martinez, but Canelo is also a lot better than JCC Jr.

Usually, Floyd is the one whose conditioning completely outshines his opponent. It has been that way his whole career. If ever there's a fight where he really has to get in great condition for a complete 12 rounds of boxing, it's this one.

Also, can't help but LOL at some of the Mayweather haters backpedaling so quickly, they're about to twist an ankle. Slow down, guys.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:03 AM   #1581
RoundMoundOfReb
Trump.

People complaining about the cw need to stfu. Canelo will come in the ring at 170 compared to like 150 for floyd. i would defs preffered 154 but it's still a very fair weight. situation is analogous to pac-cotto.
RoundMoundOfReb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:05 AM   #1582
RoundMoundOfReb
Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
My Predictions:
so far 5-0.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:10 AM   #1583
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

As long as it's not the 147 Sr. was yapping about, it's all good. CWs have been a part of the game for decades now, I have no idea why people bitch and moan about them like they were invented by Pacquiao and now employed solely by Mayweather.

Floyd has looked less than stellar in his previous 2 forays into JMW- SD against a past prime Oscar and a much more competitive fight than most expected against a shop worn Cotto where he seemingly couldn't get out of the way of the jab.

Will be a competitive fight until Cinnamon gasses around the 7th round.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:15 AM   #1584
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
As long as it's not the 147 Sr. was yapping about, it's all good. CWs have been a part of the game for decades now, I have no idea why people bitch and moan about them like they were invented by Pacquiao and now employed solely by Mayweather.

Floyd has looked less than stellar in his previous 2 forays into JMW- SD against a past prime Oscar and a much more competitive fight than most expected against a shop worn Cotto where he seemingly couldn't get out of the way of the jab.

I thought Floyd's performance against DLH was actually pretty good. DLH didn't land a single meaningful blow in the 12 rounds and was being awarded rounds for wild slapping anytime Floyd's back touched the ropes, even though he was mostly catching air. The crowd loved it, though, and so did the judges apparently.

That was a pitiful split decision.

Cotto? That wasn't Floyd's finest hour, though I expect him to employ a much different strategy against Canelo.

I realize catch-weights have been used since pretty much forever. I just don't like the frequency with which they are used today. For this fight, where you have one guy whose natural weight is 170 and the other whose a natural welterweight? It makes sense.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 05-30-2013 at 02:19 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:18 AM   #1585
RoundMoundOfReb
Trump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59

I had him winning both the cotto fight and the dlh 10-2. He did look more "human" i suppose in the cotto fight. I thought the dlh fight was a clinic.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:36 AM   #1586
magic chiongson
I post-up midgets

floyd UD, archie andrews will probably do better than mosley did :)
magic chiongson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:50 AM   #1587
Pointguard
NBA All-star

Alvarez is young enough to keep Floyd fighting for 12. The question is, is he wise enough to adapt. Alvarez can possibly bull his way in as he has the right temperament and tenacity to go where nobody else did. You can't beat Floyd if you keep thinking. You just have to take ruthless chances and Alvarez is the guy for the job.

To me this should be Floyd's toughest fight. I would fully expect him to clobber everybody else. So the next three/four? fights should be strolls. Of course he could be like Roy Jones Jr. and just find out his reflexes just aren't the same anymore and lose a fight. He hasn't been knocking people out so he is a prime candidate for rematches if he doesn't outpoint the person in every round. Why would Matt and Pac think they would have a chance when they know they can't handle Alvarez?
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:16 AM   #1588
G-Funk
Palm Trees & Gangsters

If Canelo can use his jab effectively it could be devastating for Money.
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 04:24 AM   #1589
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Nice. I've been saying it should be at a catchweight. Guess all the rumors about that Guerro fight doing bad numbers and needing the Canelo fight to recoup had some merit to it. Fight makes more since for Cinco de Mayo but Showtime wants this fight now.

One thing I'm noticing, people use to rip Manny apart for catchweights. Now, Mayweater does it and its all fine and dandy. I never had problems with catchweights but I just thought its hilarious that Floyd fans gave so much shit for Manny doing catchweights. Floyd does it, "hey, it's only fair!"

LOL keep it consistent folks.

Last edited by SCREWstonRockets : 05-30-2013 at 04:28 AM.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:29 AM   #1590
Beatlezz
Champ;ipnsikp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Nice. I've been saying it should be at a catchweight. Guess all the rumors about that Guerro fight doing bad numbers and needing the Canelo fight to recoup had some merit to it. Fight makes more since for Cinco de Mayo but Showtime wants this fight now.

One thing I'm noticing, people use to rip Manny apart for catchweights. Now, Mayweater does it and its all fine and dandy. I never had problems with catchweights but I just thought its hilarious that Floyd fans gave so much shit for Manny doing catchweights. Floyd does it, "hey, it's only fair!"

LOL keep it consistent folks.

Personally, I don't have any problem with it. That being said, this post is so ****ing true, I expect this to be ignored.
Beatlezz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: