Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-30-2013, 05:40 AM   #1591
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

I'm annoyed it's at a catchweight. That being said its a little different than manny and cotto because cotto had to put his title on the line without ever actually losing at 147(not that the two pounds would have mattered)
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:45 AM   #1592
raiderfan19
Shazam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointguard
Alvarez is young enough to keep Floyd fighting for 12. The question is, is he wise enough to adapt. Alvarez can possibly bull his way in as he has the right temperament and tenacity to go where nobody else did. You can't beat Floyd if you keep thinking. You just have to take ruthless chances and Alvarez is the guy for the job.

To me this should be Floyd's toughest fight. I would fully expect him to clobber everybody else. So the next three/four? fights should be strolls. Of course he could be like Roy Jones Jr. and just find out his reflexes just aren't the same anymore and lose a fight. He hasn't been knocking people out so he is a prime candidate for rematches if he doesn't outpoint the person in every round. Why would Matt and Pac think they would have a chance when they know they can't handle Alvarez?
Floyd and Roy are completely different. Both had amazing reflexes that make/made them hard to hit but Roy relied entirely on his while Floyd marries his natural talent with the best technical boxing of anyone from this generation with the possible exception of bhop
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:50 PM   #1593
Pointguard
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
Floyd and Roy are completely different. Both had amazing reflexes that make/made them hard to hit but Roy relied entirely on his while Floyd marries his natural talent with the best technical boxing of anyone from this generation with the possible exception of bhop
Bhop??? If it was night time I would probably have figured it out.

I think Bernard Hopkins is a great example of technical ability slowing down the effects of age. Floyd's defense is great technically but his offense is highly predicated on his great reflexes. He catches opponents when they pick their feet up. I mean he is as instant as instant gets. He's going to lose instant and it will be different. But he won't be the first quick technical guy to lose his reflexes.

I brought up Roy because he gained weight to win the heavyweight title and when he went back down he lost his reflexes and the bounce in his legs. Technical ability will indeed soften reality... but it won't replace it. Hopefully Mayweather can leave the game undefeated.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:53 PM   #1594
Pointguard
NBA All-star

Subconsciously I figured out it was Bernard Hopkins as I replied unwittingly with him in mind. I was thinking IHOP too hard.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:26 PM   #1595
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk
If Canelo can use his jab effectively it could be devastating for Money.

Canelo fighting in spurts will be his undoing
WWRWestbrookDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:51 PM   #1596
PistonsFan#21
College superstar

So many people said Floyd would duck him and never take this fight

Whats up now?
PistonsFan#21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #1597
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Nice. I've been saying it should be at a catchweight. Guess all the rumors about that Guerro fight doing bad numbers and needing the Canelo fight to recoup had some merit to it. Fight makes more since for Cinco de Mayo but Showtime wants this fight now.

One thing I'm noticing, people use to rip Manny apart for catchweights. Now, Mayweater does it and its all fine and dandy. I never had problems with catchweights but I just thought its hilarious that Floyd fans gave so much shit for Manny doing catchweights. Floyd does it, "hey, it's only fair!"

LOL keep it consistent folks.
I'm still not a fan of catchweights... Never was. And, I doubt it will make much of any difference in this fight. I would have preferred it at the full 154, but I'd prefer to have it at 152 than not at all. It does bother me that the junior middleweight title will be on the line in a fight that is not at the full junior MW limit.

You are also failing to look at this from the otherside of the equation. A lot of the people now ripping Floyd for fighting at a catchweight either defended or didn't say anything when Pacquiao used them for years.

Works both ways. I still don't like them except for in the most extreme cases. I think they're used way too much nowadays.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 07:53 PM   #1598
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointguard
Bhop??? If it was night time I would probably have figured it out.

I think Bernard Hopkins is a great example of technical ability slowing down the effects of age. Floyd's defense is great technically but his offense is highly predicated on his great reflexes. He catches opponents when they pick their feet up. I mean he is as instant as instant gets. He's going to lose instant and it will be different. But he won't be the first quick technical guy to lose his reflexes.

I brought up Roy because he gained weight to win the heavyweight title and when he went back down he lost his reflexes and the bounce in his legs. Technical ability will indeed soften reality... but it won't replace it. Hopefully Mayweather can leave the game undefeated.

about B-Hop. He wasn't the most talented guy but he out lasted his counter parts James Toney and Roy Jones Jr. IF you watch Hopkins prior to his Trinidad fight..he was a straight up killer. After he knocked out Trinidad he went into a more defensive style.
WWRWestbrookDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #1599
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:46 PM   #1600
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Great next few months of boxing. Damn near every week until the end of the year, we get a top tier match.

A few of the weeks, HBO and Showtime go head-to-head!

June 8 [HBO vs. SHO head-to-head]
HBO Boxing After Dark

Chad Dawson vs. Adonis Stevenson for Dawson's WBC Light Heavyweight Championship
Yuriorkis Gamboa vs. Darley Perez for the vacant Interim WBA Lightweight Championship
Showtime Championship Boxing

Marcos Maidana vs. Josesito Lopez for Maidana's WBA Intercontinental Welterweight Championship
Erislandy Lara vs. Alfredo Angulo for the vacant WBA Interim Super Welterweight World Championship
Jermell Charlo vs. Demetrius Hopkins for USBA Junior Middleweight and WBC Continental Americas Super Welterweight Championships

June 14
NBCSN Fight Night

Bryant Jennings vs. Andrey Fedosov
Sergey Kovalev vs. Cornelius White for IBF Light Heavyweight #1 Contender
Ronald Cruz vs. Ray Narh

June 15
HBO Boxing After Dark

Mikey Garcia vs. Juan Manuel Lopez for Garcia's WBO Featherweight Championship
Terrence Crawford vs. Alejandro Sanabria for the vacant NABO Lightweight Championship

June 22

Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner for Malignaggi's WBA Welterweight Championship
Johnathon Banks vs. Seth Mitchell II for Banks' NABO and WBC International Heavyweight Championships
Sakio Bika vs. Marco Antonio Periban for vacant WBC Super Middleweight Championship

June 29
HBO Boxing After Dark

Gennady Golovkin vs. Matthew Macklin for Golovkin's WBA and IBO Middleweight Championships

July 13

Bernard Hopkins vs. Karo Murat for Hopkins' IBF Light-Heavyweight Championship
Gary Russell, Jr. vs. TBA
Deontay Wilder vs. TBA for Wilder's WBC Continental Americas Heavyweight Championship
Sky Sports
Kell Brook vs. Carson Jones

July 19

Ishe Smith vs. Carlos Molina for Smith's IBF Junior Middleweight Championship

July 20
Fox Sports

DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley vs. Frankie Gomez

July 27
Knockout Kings II

Andre Berto vs. Jesus Sota Karass
Keith Thurman vs. Diego Gabriel Chaves [WBO Welterweight Eliminator] for the WBO Intercontinental Welterweight and Interim WBA World Welterweight Championships
Omar Figueroa vs. Nihito Arakawa for the vacant Interim WBC Lightweight Championship

August 3
HBO Boxing After Dark

Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. vs. Brian Vera

August 3
NBCSN Fight Night

Tomasz Adamek vs. TBA
Eddie Chambers vs.Thabiso Mchunu
Curtis Stevens vs. Saul Roman

August 17
HBO Boxing After Dark

Daniel Geale vs Darren Barker for Geale's IBF Middleweight Championship

September 7

Danny Garcia vs. Lucas Matthysse for Garcia's WBC, WBA Super Light Welterweight and Ring Magazine/Lineal Championships.
Lamont Peterson vs. Zab Judah for Peterson's IBF Light Welterweight Championship

September 14
Showtime PPV

Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez for the WBC Light Middleweight, and WBA Super Middleweight and the Ring Magazine/Lineal Championships.

September 28

Miguel Cotto vs. Cornelius 'K9' Bundrage

September
HBO

Andre Ward vs. TBA

September
Showtime

Victor Ortiz vs. TBA

October 5
Wladimir Klitschko vs. Alexander Povetkin for Klitschko's IBO, IBF, WBO and WBA Super Heavyweight Championships

October 12
HBO PPV

Timothy Bradley vs. Juan Manuel Marquez for Bradley's WBO Welterweight Championship
Jesse Vargas vs. TBA for Vargas' WBC Continental Americas Welterweight Championship

November 23
HBO PPV

Manny Pacquiao vs. Brandon Rios

November
HBO

Mike Alvarado vs. Ruslan Provodnikov for Alvarado's WBO Interim Junior Welterweight Championship

December 7 [HBO vs. SHO head-to-head]

Amir Khan vs. Devon Alexander for Alexander's IBF Welterweight Championship
HBO Boxing After Dark
Jean Pascal vs. Lucian Bute

December
HBO

Andre Ward vs. TBA
Boxing won't have another marque match-up until 2 weeks down the line when HBO and Showtime go head-to-head in Dawson/Stevenson and Maidana/Lopez. But, I think the undercards on both events will steal the show. Lara/Angulo and Gamboa/Perez. They had a marque announcement though ...

Last edited by L.Kizzle : 06-08-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 02:22 AM   #1601
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

What's next for Floyd once he takes out Canelo?

Fight 46 May 14: The winner of Amir Khan/Devon Alexander
Fight 47 Sep 14: Danny Garcia/Lucas Matthysse (both should be at 147 by then)
Fight 48 May 15: Lucas Matthysse/Danny Garcia (both should be at 147 by then)
Fight 49 Sep 15: Adrien Broner

I don't think he stops at 49, 50-0 sounds so much better. And who better than Manny Pacquiao!
Old 06-01-2013, 02:55 AM   #1602
Reef
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
his final fight needs to be a street fight against broner

rocky vs tommy gunn style

Matthyse will be Ivan Drago. That means Saul is either Apollo Creed or Clubber Lang, making Guerrero Spider Rico lol.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #1603
G-Funk
Palm Trees & Gangsters

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWRWestbrookDo?
Canelo fighting in spurts will be his undoing

I think ur gonna see a totally different Canelo out there, just heard a interview on youtube that he prepares different every time depending on the opponent. I'm sure he's not stupid enough to think that he doesn't need great stamina to have a shot at May.
G-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #1604
Tarik One
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Funk
I think ur gonna see a totally different Canelo out there, just heard a interview on youtube that he prepares different every time depending on the opponent. I'm sure he's not stupid enough to think that he doesn't need great stamina to have a shot at May.
So he says. You can't just up and build that much endurance in that little time. Ain't gonna happen, especially if he's going against a guy like Floyd who never tires. Great stamina takes YEARS to build.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #1605
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Amir Khan vs. Devon Alexander has been confirmed for December 7, in Dubai. It will be for Alexander's IBF Welterweight Title. This will be the first major boxing event to take place in Dubai. They are challenging Top Rank and their overseas adventures.

The winner will get Floyd Mayweather, possibly in May of 2014.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: