Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-16-2013, 02:04 AM   #1621
Beatlezz
Champ;ipnsikp!

Beatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
J Leon Love tested positive for Hydrochlorothiazide

First it was Mickey Bey and now J'Leon. I thought The Money Team was supposed to clean up the sport?
Beatlezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:16 AM   #1622
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonD13
Alexander was my prediction and everybody laughed at me!

If it has to be one of them, I hope he shows some dignity and takes on the winner of Maidana-Lopez. At least those guys have some guts...

And who the **** is Lee Purdy?? Taking on those tomato cans is just wrong
Huh? Alexander is far better than Maidana or Lopez.

I posted a few weeks ago that, of all the guys from that group (Khan, Bradley, Alexander, etc.), I thought Alexander offered the most interesting stylistic challenge for Mayweather.

That fight may not sell a ton of PPVs and it may bore people who don't appreciate pure boxers, but I think it is one of the best options out there, from a challenge standpoint. He has looked better to me at 147 than he did at 140, though it has only been 4(?) fights or so.

Alexander has become quite underrated. He won damn near every round against Maidana and that was a fight a lot of people pegged him to lose. Mayweather vs. Maidana would be a total farce.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:32 AM   #1623
DonD13
GYMNAST

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Huh? Alexander is far better than Maidana or Lopez.

I posted a few weeks ago that, of all the guys from that group (Khan, Bradley, Alexander, etc.), I thought Alexander offered the most interesting stylistic challenge for Mayweather.

That fight may not sell a ton of PPVs and it may bore people who don't appreciate pure boxers, but I think it is one of the best options out there, from a challenge standpoint. He has looked better to me at 147 than he did at 140, though it has only been 4(?) fights or so.

Alexander has become quite underrated. He won damn near every round against Maidana and that was a fight a lot of people pegged him to lose. Mayweather vs. Maidana would be a total farce.

you made some valid points. It's mostly because I like Maidana a lot and I can't stand this damn Alexander. He won against Maidana with throwing one punch and than holding. And he quit against Bradley like a bitch. Why wouldn't Floyd take Bradley??

and check out what you answered, when I wrote that Floyd might be picking Alexander:

Quote:
You seem to have an incredibly low opinion of Mayweather.

Man I tried to follow your thoughts but when it comes to Mayweather, you're just a fanboy. First you said that Guerrero is the best fighter available - a guy who had no convincing win at 147 and never will do shit in boxing. Now you starting to defend Alexander?

I don't hate at Floyd. He's doing his exhibition fights and get money. I can't hate on a man getting dollars. But I have a problem with fans acting as he would pick the most dangerous opponents.
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 02:51 AM   #1624
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
you made some valid points. It's mostly because I like Maidana a lot and I can't stand this damn Alexander. He won against Maidana with throwing one punch and than holding. And he quit against Bradley like a bitch. Why wouldn't Floyd take Bradley??

and check out what you answered, when I wrote that Floyd might be picking Alexander:

Man I tried to follow your thoughts but when it comes to Mayweather, you're just a fanboy. First you said that Guerrero is the best fighter available - a guy who had no convincing win at 147 and never will do shit in boxing. Now you starting to defend Alexander?

I don't hate at Floyd. He's doing his exhibition fights and get money. I can't hate on a man getting dollars. But I have a problem with fans acting as he would pick the most dangerous opponents.
Floyd against Bradley would be OK. He's fighting JMM, though, and I think that's a great matchup.

And, I actually put a vote in for an Alexander fight long before anyone was talking about it...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...&postcount=246

It has nothing to do with "defending" Alexander. Of the guys who've come up from 140 relatively recently, he's one of the only guys I have an interest in as far as Mayweather is concerned. And, it is inarguable Guerrero was amongst the best fights Mayweather could have conceivably made this last time around. I don't quite remember saying it was the best fight, though. Please cite that reference.

Also, trust me, if Khan ends up being the choice, I'll openly dislike that selection right now as much as I did weeks ago when I made that post. I think that fight stinks.

"Fanboy" is such a stupid term, especially in boxing. I've always really enjoyed watching Mayweather fight, but he's hardly alone. I enjoy the fight game and the different styles and how they matchup. Boxing is the kind of sport wherein you don't have to constantly pick favorites and cheer one guy on above all others.

I look at it like a chess match and I'm always interested in seeing how guys stack up. I haven't seen Mayweather fight a young pure boxer like Alexander in a good while. Recently, it has been the Ortiz, Guerrero, Cotto variety. I think Devon brings something totally different to the table and I'd be interested. Whether or not this fight will sell to the masses or what his detractors think of it? I honestly couldn't care less.

Fact is, there is a devoted and large group of people who follow boxing and happen to despise Mayweather. I'm not one of them. There is a constant chant of "ducking" and "scared." I don't buy into any of that stuff for any fighter, really. That often puts me at odds with people partaking in boxing conversations on this forum. I'd say it has a lot more to do with people disliking Mayweather than me being a fan.

I call it how I see it and Alexander is a good fighter. Maidana was thoroughly dominated in that fight.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 05-16-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:17 AM   #1625
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'm not impressed with Alexander at all. He got a couple of gift decisions in the Kotelnik and Matthyse fights. Plus he quit against Bradley. He'd be no challenge for Floyd. There are no 140 or 147 fighters than can challenge Floyd. Everyone only has a puncher's chance against him and that's a very small chance. Alexander has looked better at 147 though. It's too bad Brook got injured again. This Purdy dude doesn't seem like he'll be a challenge at all.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:23 AM   #1626
DonD13
GYMNAST

DonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonD13 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Floyd against Bradley would be OK. And, I actually put a vote in for an Alexander fight long before anyone was talking about it...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...&postcount=246

It has nothing to do with "defending" Alexander. Of the guys who've come up from 140 relatively recently, he's one of the only guys I have an interest in as far as Mayweather is concerned. And, it is inarguable Guerrero was amongst the best fights Mayweather could have conceivably made this last time around. I don't quite remember saying it was the best fight, though. Please cite that reference.

"Fanboy" is such a stupid term, especially in boxing. I've always really enjoyed watching Mayweather fight, but he's hardly the alone. Boxing is the kind of sport wherein you don't have to constantly pick favorites and cheer one guy on above all others.

Fact is, there is a devoted and large group of people who follow boxing and happen to despise Mayweather. I'm not one of them. There is a constant chant of "ducking" and "scared." I don't buy into any of that stuff for any fighter, really.

And, Alexander is a good fighter. Maidana was thoroughly dominated in that fight.

In your link you said that you would prefer Alexander over Khan, which is a little bit different. But you also said that I must think low of Mayweather because I considered Alexander. http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...=297595&page=2

Yes, 'fanboy' is a bad term but some people do worship fighters in a fanatic way.

You think that there is no ducking in boxing? wow.

But you're right about Maidana. That's just my personal taste. It's only because I would prefere to see Maidana getting this big pay day than Alexander.
DonD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:30 AM   #1627
DonDadda59
Lord High Executioner

DonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDonDadda59 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Floyd Sr: 'Alvarez fight has to be at 147, Canelo can't be over 150 on fight night'

Guy who did the interview used to post here somewhat regularly.
DonDadda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:35 AM   #1628
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
In your link you said that you would prefer Alexander over Khan, which is a little bit different. But you also said that I must think low of Mayweather because I considered Alexander. http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...=297595&page=2

Yes, 'fanboy' is a bad term but some people do worship fighters in a fanatic way.

You think that there is no ducking in boxing? wow.

But you're right about Maidana. That's just my personal taste. It's only because I would prefere to see Maidana getting this big pay day than Alexander.

My question about you not liking Mayweather had absolutely nothing to do with Alexander. It was obvious you were insinuating he was going to take the path of least resistance.

I wasn't sure where you stood on the range of people who dislike Mayweather, so I asked.

And, in the other post, I wasn't asked whether I'd rather see Khan or Alexander... Kizzle brought up Khan. I brought up Alexander as the guy from that group (Khan, Alexander, Bradley, etc) that I'd like to see.

I don't feel I should have to explain myself, tbh. I've been consistent in every comment I've made. Is Alexander the absolute most appealing challenger? No. That would be Canelo at this point.

But, if that fight doesn't happen, Alexander is a guy I wouldn't mind seeing. Much more than the likes of Khan, Maidana, etc.

And, I don't think I've ever heard "fanboy" used as anything but in a derogatory way.

If it is any consolation, I think choosing Alexander would tank for Showtime and they may start asking for some of their money back... Because that simply won't sell, regardless of what I think about it.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:44 AM   #1629
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Floyd Sr: 'Alvarez fight has to be at 147, Canelo can't be over 150 on fight night'

That's ridiculous.

Floyd Sr. talking rubbish and he needs to get that froth out the side of his mouth. It was making me a little queasy.

If Floyd's team is making this big a deal about the weight in actual negotiations, I think they're making a big mistake and I don't blame Alvarez for walking away. That is assuming he speaks for the whole team, but I said in an earlier post I don't put much credence in what trainers have to say... That is especially true when it comes to the Mayweather clan. They tend to be loose cannons.

No one could honestly believe Canelo has any chance at coming into that fight 150 pounds or less. Hell, 160 pounds would be a stretch for him. I think I read he was 166 against Trout.

I also think Floyd Sr. is underestimating the way putting on a massive amount of weight in a couple of days can be detrimental to a fighter. It doesn't always work out in their favor.

Btw, good work by a former(?) ISH poster. He pushed Sr. without making it too obvious. Glad to see he's still doing his thing.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 05-16-2013 at 03:48 AM.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:46 AM   #1630
Beatlezz
Champ;ipnsikp!

Beatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59

Earlier he said,

Quote:
"I don't think he'll be a problem for Floyd. The weight don't matter [with the fight taking place at 154]....skill wins fight."

- Mayweather Sr.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:14 PM   #1631
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Catchweight around 150. Both guys have to make a comprimise, problem solved.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #1632
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Catchweight around 150. Both guys have to make a comprimise, problem solved.
Not sure if serious, Floyd doesn't have the compromise anything. The ball is in his court. He's the 17 year pro, who won his first title in 1998.

This would be like a young Floyd asking Pernell Whitaker for demands in in 1998 for a title fight. PErnell would laugh and say next. You have to answer to the vet.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:55 PM   #1633
Beatlezz
Champ;ipnsikp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Not sure if serious, Floyd doesn't have the compromise anything. The ball is in his court. He's the 17 year pro, who won his first title in 1998.

This would be like a young Floyd asking Pernell Whitaker for demands in in 1998 for a title fight. PErnell would laugh and say next. You have to answer to the vet.

I agree, that's like Marquez asking the p4p and ppv king Mayweather to go down in weight and fight him at 144 after a two-year layoff. It's ridiculous, really. Floyd has been fighting legends for years while JMM's best win of his career was against Baby Bull Juan Diaz lol. Floyd would just laugh at him. Top dogs don't have to compromise anything to make good fights.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #1634
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation hereL.Kizzle has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlezz
I agree, that's like Marquez asking the p4p and ppv king Mayweather to go down in weight and fight him at 144 after a two-year layoff. It's ridiculous, really. Floyd has been fighting legends for years while JMM's best win of his career was against Baby Bull Juan Diaz lol. Floyd would just laugh at him. Top dogs don't have to compromise anything to make good fights.
This is a good and bad comparison.

The Good: Marquez agreed to Floyd's terms, like Canelo should. It's in Floyd's court, he's the money maker.

The Bad: Marquez is older than Floyd, has been a pro longer than Floyd. He won his first title before Floyd did. Marquez was not some little dude wet behind his ears.

Bonus: When Floyd fought De La Hoya, the ball was in Oscar's court and Floyd went up to 154 for the first time to face the Golden Boy.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:23 PM   #1635
Beatlezz
Champ;ipnsikp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
This is a good and bad comparison.

Quote:
The Good: Marquez agreed to Floyd's terms, like Canelo should. It's in Floyd's court, he's the money maker.

The Point: A compromise was reached.

Quote:
The Bad: Marquez is older than Floyd, has been a pro longer than Floyd. He won his first title before Floyd did. Marquez was not some little dude wet behind his ears.

You're saying it's only fine for a fighter to compromise something against an older guy but not against a younger guy? That must be why Floyd is willing to fight Sergio at 150.

Quote:
Bonus: When Floyd fought De La Hoya, the ball was in Oscar's court and Floyd went up to 154 for the first time to face the Golden Boy.

Bonus: When Oscar challenged Pacquiao he was still the biggest superstar in boxing. The money maker. Pacquiao was at 140 at that time and younger, Oscar was at 154 and older but the met halfway.

The Good: A compromise was reached regardless of age and star status of the fighters.
The Good: The fight was made. The boxing fans were happy.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: