Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-23-2013, 02:23 AM   #1726
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
Richard Schaefer said he would like maidana/broner

that would be a fun one
He said he'd let the fans pick his next fight. Assuming he stays at welterweight, here is everyone available.

Floyd Mayweather
Devon Alexander
Marcos Maidana
Andre Berto
Amir Khan
Keith Thurman
Shane Mosley
Josesito Lopez

I wouldn't mind a Malanaggi rematch.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:37 AM   #1727
Reef
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
He said he'd let the fans pick his next fight. Assuming he stays at welterweight, here is everyone available.

I wouldn't mind a Malanaggi rematch.

The guy needs to be humbled and Thurman is the biggest puncher at 147. But Broner would never fight him.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:27 AM   #1728
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydacris
yeah he said that, but its kind of dumb, everyone will just vote floyd
He said last week he'd never fight Floyd. So you can take him off the list.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:53 AM   #1729
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
i respect Broner though if he actually follows through with his promise about letting the fans pick his next opponent via poll voting.
Yeah, not happening.

That was maybe the strangest post-fight I have ever seen. Broner... man. Guy needs to grow up. You aren't a teenager anymore, man. Whether he is just trying to take on a villain role or what, I'm not sure. But, all of the talking and posturing during the fight and then that sh!t afterward... Not a fan. It's disrespectful to the sport.

As for the fight, I was surprised Paulie was able to take Broner's stuff the way he did. Paulie was not seriously hurt one time. I think a few of the body shots stunned him for a moment or two a couple of times, but for the most part, he was eating Broner's best stuff and firing right back.

If Paulie only had even average power, he'd be a hell of a fighter. Unfortunately, he has never had that gift and once Broner realized it (pretty much right off the bat), he just walked him down.

Broner will absolutely not be able to fight like that against a world class figther who can bang. I'd be concerned if I'm in Team Broner that when Paulie got off first, Broner spent much of the time just trying to lean back and pick off punches, not in a posture to fire back.

That's something he needs to remedy. Especially early in the fight, Paulie was able to effectively smother him with punches and it really did hamper his output.

I'll say this... if I'm a guy like Miguel Cotto, I'd be beating down Broner's door and doing everything I could to get down to 147. Cotto can still hit and I could see a fight like that being very interesting, even at this stage of Cotto's career.

Broner is obviously talented and he looked perfectly comfortable at 147, but that was against a guy who really is not a true welterweight.

I didn't think it was an impressive performance by Broner in the least and he needs to tone his antics down big time. He still has accomplished very little in this sport. Take your split decision (which was reasonable, there were a lot of close rounds) and quit acting like a damn fool.

People compare his persona to Mayweather, but Floyd never disrespected the sport or his opponent the way Broner routinely does. And, let me say this emphatically... Broner is no Mayweather. He is not fluid at all... Very stiff and very predictable.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 06-23-2013 at 06:59 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #1730
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDadda59
Broner looks so stiff and he has 0 mobility or footwork. I hope when that poll comes out, people vote to put him in there with Matthysse so Lucas can shut him up for good and end the misplaced hype.

He's lucky Brooklyn Paulie has pillows for fists
Exactly. I think Matthysse could stop him. I really do. And I'd like to see it.

Maybe his pops can comb his hair while he's flat on his back.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #1731
Tarik One
NBA sixth man of the year

Stylistically, I see a lot more Andre Berto in Broner than Floyd Mayweather and that is why I think he will get knocked out once the clever matchmaking is out the window.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #1732
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Wow. What an unexpected fight that turned out to be. Got to give all the credit to Paulie. I didn't give him a a chance but he fought a good fight. But Broner man, talk about a unimpressive performance. Doesn't seem like his power carried over to 147.

This was suppose to be a showcase fight for Adrian, I didn't see much. To be fair, his defense made it hard for Paulie to land anything clean to the head. But that's about it, Broner didn't do much. Paulie was winning rounds off activity alone. Now put him in there with someone that doesn't have feathers as fist and let's see what happens.

Stuff like this happens when you don't test yourself. You get complacent. He knew Paulie couldn't hurt him, so he pretty much coasted the entire fight. The jury is still out on the kid. I'd like to see how he handles somebody that is an actual threat to beat him and not a 10-1 underdog.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:21 PM   #1733
Dwade305
el pollo loco siiiiiii

Yea AB struggles with his punch volume, alot of those punches the crowd were awing and oowing were not landing....but if Canelo won with landing less than Trout and just outnumbering him in power punches than thats just the way it is nowadays in boxing.

The disgrace of the night for me though was that Banks vs Mitchell fight. Anyone else have that feeling the Banks completely threw this fight after showing the first 4 rounds that we has superior to Mitchell? Banks is not usually the type of person who taunts in the ring but he was doing it throughout the whole fight while not punching back....he simply stopped after the 5th, and let Seth fkn Mitchell outjab him lol
Dwade305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #1734
Flash88
I don't get picked last at the park anymore

The more Broner opens his mouth, the more people start to appreciate Mayweather a lot more.

Broner thinks he's the second coming of Floyd, but he just doesn't have the skills to back it up. When Floyd was Broner's age, he was already establishing himself as the best 130 lb in history.
Flash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #1735
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwade305
Yea AB struggles with his punch volume, alot of those punches the crowd were awing and oowing were not landing....but if Canelo won with landing less than Trout and just outnumbering him in power punches than thats just the way it is nowadays in boxing.

The disgrace of the night for me though was that Banks vs Mitchell fight. Anyone else have that feeling the Banks completely threw this fight after showing the first 4 rounds that we has superior to Mitchell? Banks is not usually the type of person who taunts in the ring but he was doing it throughout the whole fight while not punching back....he simply stopped after the 5th, and let Seth fkn Mitchell outjab him lol
Mitchell/Banks was terrible. A lot of folks are saying he threw the fight also.
He didn't do anything after the 4th round. At one time, he just walked towards Seth with his hands down for like 30 seconds, and Seth didn't attack him.

Seth Mitchell sucks.
Old 06-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #1736
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Damn, a Mortal Kombat punch!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:47 PM   #1737
lefthook00
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle

Damn, a Mortal Kombat punch!

Not gonna lie, that was awesome haha. One of the highlights of the fight for me. I think that Broner actually looked decent, but he should have done more while walking Paulie down like that.

Broner has the body of a taller fighter but is shorter in height because his neck is so short. Along with the short neck, he has big shoulders and traps, which protect his chin big time, especially in the shell. The long arm/short torso combo works well with the shell as well. But that right to the body was still getting through.

I agree that Cotto would give him problems. Orthodox-stance fighter with a dominant left hand. Really strong jab and left hook, crushing left to the body, thudding right hand when he goes to the body with it, physically stronger and aggressive. Would definitely make Broner move his feet imo.

We'll have to see how Broner does against the 140ers, or perhaps other welters if he chooses to stay there. Shane Mosley did the same thing by jumping up 2 weight classes, and he didn't look spectacular in his welter debut, and he had more power and speed than Broner and was 32-0(30 ko), so we'll see.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #1738
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

Broner just doesn't impress me.

Shame Paulie lacks punching power in a way never before seen in a pro fighter because if he had even decent pop, it'd be a whole different game.

As for Broner...I ain't feeling him. Not as talented as the hype would lead you to believe, immature, annoying, so over the top showy its ridiculous, and the obvious one...his false imitation of Floyd's persona. Kid's persona is completely contrived...lame.
ClutchOver9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 06:34 PM   #1739
ClutchOver9000
#Knickstape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
Stylistically, I see a lot more Andre Berto in Broner than Floyd Mayweather and that is why I think he will get knocked out once the clever matchmaking is out the window.

Good one. I see it too...
ClutchOver9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #1740
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchOver9000
Good one. I see it too...
The jury is still out on Broner (23), and other young undefeated fighters 25 and younger like Canelo (22) and Danny Garcia (25.)

The best one 25 and under may be Mikey Garcia. Abner Mares is 27, or he would have easily topped the list.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: