Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #1846
lefthook00
College star
 
lefthook00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,984
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Yeah I think Ike & Tua set a heavyweight punch record for that fight. Tua had some extreme endurance for a guy that big, almost suspiciously extreme.

I would have loved to see both Tua and Ike vs. Tyson.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #1847
Tarik One
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,495
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

If Lennox Lewis could walk through Razor Ruddock, I don't see him having that much of a problem overcoming Ibeabuchi.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #1848
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,972
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Are we saying that we will put our bet for Lennox Lewis against any boxer in history?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #1849
Flash88
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 232
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
That's what makes Ibeabuchi such an enigma. He was able to slug it out with Tua and then turn around and stand and box with Byrd before his career abruptly ended. That's a versatile fighter.

That's why I think he would have given Lennox problems. He could box from the outside or slug it out on the inside. He showed a great chin against Tua and great power against Byrd. I'm not saying I'd definitely favor him over Lewis, but I think he may have been the closest guy to Lewis at that stage of the heavyweight division, had he not been totally nuts.
There's little evidence that Ike could box from the outside. He didn't box with Byrd in the center of the ring -- he was stalking Byrd and unloading on him when Byrd got to the ropes.

Ike wouldn't have been able to outbox Lennox, regardless. He would've had to beat him by knockout, and you could make the case that plenty of boxers in history could've caught Lennox and KOed him.
Flash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #1850
Flash88
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 232
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Are we saying that we will put our bet for Lennox Lewis against any boxer in history?
He shouldn't have any problems with Dempsey, Johnson, Marciano, Charles, Walcott, Frazier, Norton, Patterson.

I think he should be handily favored over Louis, Liston, Holyfield, Bowe.

I think he's a slight favorite over: Foreman, Holmes

Fights that are close enough that I can't favor either fighter: Tyson, Ali, Klitschko brothers
Flash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #1851
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,972
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash88
He shouldn't have any problems with Dempsey, Johnson, Marciano, Charles, Walcott, Frazier, Norton, Patterson.

I think he should be handily favored over Louis, Liston, Holyfield, Bowe.

I think he's a slight favorite over: Foreman, Holmes

Fights that are close enough that I can't favor either fighter: Tyson, Ali, Klitschko brothers
I disagree with Bowe. I think he belongs in that last category. Man Bowe was damn good.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #1852
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias
 
RedBlackAttack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The "Q"
Posts: 30,433
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash88
There's little evidence that Ike could box from the outside. He didn't box with Byrd in the center of the ring -- he was stalking Byrd and unloading on him when Byrd got to the ropes.

Ike wouldn't have been able to outbox Lennox, regardless. He would've had to beat him by knockout, and you could make the case that plenty of boxers in history could've caught Lennox and KOed him.
He was handling Tua from the outside and he showed a terrific, snapping jab in that fight. That's why I said, if he would have fought a smarter fight and just stayed back and boxed, it would have been an easy fight. The first 3-4 rounds, he utterly dominated Tua primarily from the outside.

He seemed to be fine with allowing Tua to initiate a brawl in the last 8 rounds, but it wasn't for lack of an outside game... Just seemed like he was content with brawling.

There's no doubt he had skill from the outside as evidenced by that fight. He just wasn't committed enough to it to completely take advantage of his physical abilities, which may go back to his mental instability. At the end of the day, that would have likely been his undoing in the ring, but from a pure physical/skill standpoint, he had the goods from everything I saw.

The only complaint I have about his boxing ability outside was that he unloaded that terrific jab on Tua, but didn't bring the right cross/hook behind it. That punch was there all night, but he didn't throw it for whatever reason. Again, it felt like he could have made easy work of Tua with a better gameplan.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he would have outboxed Lewis. Lewis had elite level boxing skill to go along with his massive frame. However, Ike had a FAR better chin. He was caught with flush shots from Tua and never seemed even fazed.

With his ability to punch hard and accurately and with that nice jab he showed against Tua, I could see him giving Lewis problems. Not definitely saying he would beat him, but like I said... He had a combination of size, speed and skill that may have made him arguably the best competition for Lewis at that stage.

Sadly, we'll never know.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #1853
Flash88
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 232
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
I disagree with Bowe. I think he belongs in that last category. Man Bowe was damn good.
Agreed. I just think that Lewis had a mental edge over Bowe after beating him up in the Olympics and the fact that Bowe seemed really unwilling to fight Lewis back when he was champion.

Bowe's manager offered Lewis a contract that was winner-take-all from a combined purse of $32 million. Lewis quickly agreed and then Bowe/his team backed out. LOL.
Flash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #1854
Flash88
I don't get picked last at the park anymore
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 232
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
He was handling Tua from the outside and he showed a terrific, snapping jab in that fight. That's why I said, if he would have fought a smarter fight and just stayed back and boxed, it would have been an easy fight. The first 3-4 rounds, he utterly dominated Tua primarily from the outside.
LOL. He would occasionally throw a series of jabs to keep Tua at bay and then the two would start trading blows. Hardly indicative of someone being able to "box from the outside."

Besides, your argument of Ibeabuchi being able to box stemmed from the Byrd fight, which doesn't really make much sense either.
Flash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #1855
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,972
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash88
Agreed. I just think that Lewis had a mental edge over Bowe after beating him up in the Olympics and the fact that Bowe seemed really unwilling to fight Lewis back when he was champion.

Bowe's manager offered Lewis a contract that was winner-take-all from a combined purse of $32 million. Lewis quickly agreed and then Bowe/his team backed out. LOL.
Yeah I would agree that Bowe made a big mistake dodging Lewis.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:40 PM   #1856
Tarik One
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,495
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Yeah I would agree that Bowe made a big mistake dodging Lewis.
And it's also the reason why Riddick threw his championship belt (WBC I think) in the trashcan. Can't find the footage though
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #1857
lefthook00
College star
 
lefthook00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,984
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
Yeah I think Ike & Tua set a heavyweight punch record for that fight. Tua had some extreme endurance for a guy that big, almost suspiciously extreme.

I would have loved to see both Tua and Ike vs. Tyson.

Oops, meant to say that Ike seemed to have suspicious endurance for a guy that big.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:06 AM   #1858
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,972
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
And it's also the reason why Riddick threw his championship belt (WBC I think) in the trashcan. Can't find the footage though
Well no one can say he didn't try very hard dodging Lewis.

Big big mistake.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:53 AM   #1859
Vragrant
National High School Star
 
Vragrant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,352
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

I like how Lennox used to call him Riddickulous Bowe.

Or when Lewis thought Holyfield was ducking him he called him Evader Holyfield
Vragrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 01:12 AM   #1860
Dwade305
el pollo loco siiiiiii
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Dade
Posts: 2,623
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

People really think Bowe doged Lennox?? WBC, promoters and politics had alot too with that and other fights not taking place.
Dwade305 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:15 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy