Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-09-2013, 04:17 PM   #1891
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

WWRWestbrookDo? has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
I think Taylor's problem was that he believed that he had learning everything there is to know and it got to head. I remember specific situations in fights when Steward would give him instructions between rounds and Taylor would do the total opposite of what he was told. Look up his fight vs Winky Wright.

Yeah but I think he just didn't have the mental makeup to stay at the top for long. He always reverted back to his old habits when he was pushed.
WWRWestbrookDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #1892
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

Great WARquez highlight video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfzUqJ0phmk
Old 06-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #1893
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWRWestbrookDo?

"Sad" Chad Dawson.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 04:16 AM   #1894
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It sad that Chad Dawson's career is over. Taylor, Pavlik, and Dawson.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #1895
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Lol, this is not a new development as I'm pretty sure you're aware of. GB/TP haven't fought together in years. The only thing new now is GB/Mayweather are now strictly Showtime and Top Rank in now (unofficially) HBO.

And the fans are winning for the most part (other than tonight when both have events on at the same time.) This forces them to put on huge shows cause they are now competing against a promotion and now a network. Last year, Golden Boy might fight on HBO (Broner) than come right back and fight on Showtime (Canelo) so they were not competing with networks. But now, the whole landscape has changed.

When it comes down to it, you have to pick a side. And tonight you really do as they are on at the same time. So far, Showtime has been putting on the better cards.
Obviously I was talking about the whole Showtime/HBO thing. And yes, you do pick what fight you want to watch but I don't think that's picking sides. I could care less who's showing the fight, I'll go for the fun matchup.

I still say its not good for fans because like you said, there will be conflicting fights on the same night. That's pretty much the only time they are forced to put on huge cards because that's the only time they are going head to head. And who misses out, we do. Khan vs Alexander is not direct correlation to TR fighting overseas. They've been trying to out a fight in Dubai back when Mayweaterh Pacman was still feasible.

Not only fans, but this hurts Golden Boy too. HBO by default is the bigger network. They have 5 million more subscribers. Their boxing budget is much bigger, which means they have more money to spend on fights. So after supposedly losing Millions on the last Mayweather fight, Showtime went straight for the big money in Canelo and it should pay off.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 11:27 PM   #1896
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Obviously I was talking about the whole Showtime/HBO thing. And yes, you do pick what fight you want to watch but I don't think that's picking sides. I could care less who's showing the fight, I'll go for the fun matchup.

I still say its not good for fans because like you said, there will be conflicting fights on the same night. That's pretty much the only time they are forced to put on huge cards because that's the only time they are going head to head. And who misses out, we do. Khan vs Alexander is not direct correlation to TR fighting overseas. They've been trying to out a fight in Dubai back when Mayweaterh Pacman was still feasible.

Not only fans, but this hurts Golden Boy too. HBO by default is the bigger network. They have 5 million more subscribers. Their boxing budget is much bigger, which means they have more money to spend on fights. So after supposedly losing Millions on the last Mayweather fight, Showtime went straight for the big money in Canelo and it should pay off.
Actually, I read it's around 8 more subscribers for HBO than Showtime.

Of course it's not good for fans to separate the boxers, but hey it is what it is. It's not good for the boxers either because certain fights just can't get made.

But in the long run, everything will work out for Showtime and Golden Boy. Short term, it's hurting their pockets a little bit, but it is bringing more fans over to the network and boxing in general. For Showtime, Canelo/Trout I think had the highest watched boxing match on Showtime ever, non-PPV and Broner/Paulie next week might rival it. But, compared to a regular HBO boxing event like Bradley/Provodnikov, it wasn't close. About 8 mil more subscribers will do that to you. Canelo/Trout 1.1 mil viewers and Bradley/Provodnikov 1.4 mil.

You can't tell me (or anyone else) since the deal has been made, Showtime/GBP hasn't been putting on better shows than HBO? Since Golden Boys defection to Showtime in mid-March, these have been the main events for each network.

HBO: Rios/Alvarado II
HBO: Donaire/Rigondeaux
SHO: Canelo/Trout
SHO: Garcia/Judah
HBO: Martinez/Murray
SHO: Mayweather/Guerrero
SHO: Matthysse/Peterson
HBO: Froch/Kessler II
SHO: Maidana/Lopez
HBO: Dawson/Stevenson

And their upcoming events are better too. Broner/Paulie >> Garcia/Lopez.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #1897
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

Quote:

Of course it's not good for fans to separate the boxers, but hey it is what it is. It's not good for the boxers either because certain fights just can't get made.

But in the long run, everything will work out for Showtime and Golden Boy. Short term, it's hurting their pockets a little bit, but it is bringing more fans over to the network and boxing in general. For Showtime, Canelo/Trout I think had the highest watched boxing match on Showtime ever, non-PPV and Broner/Paulie next week might rival it. But, compared to a regular HBO boxing event like Bradley/Provodnikov, it wasn't close. About 8 mil more subscribers will do that to you. Canelo/Trout 1.1 mil viewers and Bradley/Provodnikov 1.4 mil.

You can't tell me (or anyone else) since the deal has been made, Showtime/GBP hasn't been putting on better shows than HBO? Since Golden Boys defection to Showtime in mid-March, these have been the main events for each network.

Broner vs Malignaggi reminds me so much of Gatti vs. Mayweather. different styles but I feel like Broner will put on a dominating performance and stop Malignaggi. This fight will probably turn Broner from star to superstar to the casual fan.

Mikey Garcia gonna put a hurting on Lopez
Old 06-11-2013, 11:15 AM   #1898
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

You could actually go further back. GBP has been all Showtime even before HBO gae them the boot, I guess it had something to do with a Golden Biy exec now is the head of Showtime Sports. Only GBP fighter on HBO still was Broner.

I disagree about the upcoming fights. I still think Broner-Paulie is a BS fight. Paulie is no threat to Broner. He slow and has no power whatsoever. Broner is much faster and the harder puncher. It will either be a one sided domination by Broner or one boring ass fight. Their twitter war will be better than the actual fight.

If Adrian has any problems beating Paulie, then he isn't a real deal and just another hype job. Banks-Mitchell is the best fight on that Broner card and could very well steal the show

Garcia-Lopez is a much more entertaining fight to me.

Last edited by SCREWstonRockets : 06-11-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #1899
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
You could actually go further back. GBP has been all Showtime even before HBO gae them the boot, I guess it had something to do with a Golden Biy exec now is the head of Showtime Sports. Only GBP fighter on HBO still was Broner.

I disagree about the upcoming fights. I still think Broner-Paulie is a BS fight. Paulie is no threat to Broner. He slow and has no power whatsoever. Broner is much faster and the harder puncher. It will either be a one sided domination by Broner or one boring ass fight. Their twitter war will be better than the actual fight.

If Adrian has any problems beating Paulie, then he isn't a real deal and just another hype job. Banks-Mitchell is the best fight on that Broner card and could very well steal the show

Garcia-Lopez is a much more entertaining fight to me.
Bernard Hopkins fought on HBO as recent as early March this year vs. Cloud. Broner in Feb I think vs. Reese.

Paulie took Miguel Cotto to 12 rounds.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:06 AM   #1900
jaydacris
Rose

jaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablejaydacris is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

ortiz and guerrero had some twitter exchanges, not necessarily trash talk

but looks like they want to fight each other
jaydacris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #1901
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

Quote:
Bernard Hopkins fought on HBO as recent as early March this year vs. Cloud. Broner in Feb I think vs. Reese.

Paulie took Miguel Cotto to 12 rounds.

That was in 2006 when Paulie still had his legs though. 7 years later he barely got passed Cano.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #1902
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Great next few months of boxing. Damn near every week until the end of the year, we get a top tier match.

A few of the weeks, HBO and Showtime go head-to-head!

June 15
HBO Boxing After Dark

Mikey Garcia vs. Juan Manuel Lopez for Garcia's WBO Featherweight Championship
Terrence Crawford vs. Alejandro Sanabria for the vacant NABO Lightweight Championship

June 22
Showtime Championship Boxing

Paulie Malignaggi vs. Adrien Broner for Malignaggi's WBA Welterweight Championship
Johnathon Banks vs. Seth Mitchell II for Banks' NABO and WBC International Heavyweight Championships
Sakio Bika vs. Marco Antonio Periban for vacant WBC Super Middleweight Championship

June 29
HBO Boxing After Dark

Gennady Golovkin vs. Matthew Macklin for Golovkin's WBA and IBO Middleweight Championships

July 13

Bernard Hopkins vs. Karo Murat for Hopkins' IBF Light-Heavyweight Championship
Gary Russell, Jr. vs. TBA
Deontay Wilder vs. TBA for Wilder's WBC Continental Americas Heavyweight Championship
Sky Sports
Kell Brook vs. Carson Jones

July 19

Ishe Smith vs. Carlos Molina for Smith's IBF Junior Middleweight Championship

July 20
Fox Sports
Golden Boy Live!

DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley vs. Frankie Gomez

July 27
Knockout Kings II

Andre Berto vs. Jesus Sota Karass
Keith Thurman vs. Diego Gabriel Chaves [WBO Welterweight Eliminator] for the WBO Intercontinental Welterweight and Interim WBA World Welterweight Championships
Omar Figueroa vs. Nihito Arakawa for the vacant Interim WBC Lightweight Championship
HBO Boxing After Dark
Fists of Gold II

Zou Shiming vs. Jesus Ortega
Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Milan Melindo for Estrada’s WBO and WBA Super World Flyweight Championships
Evgeny Gradovich vs. Mauricio Javier Munoz for Gradovich’s Featherweight Championship

August 3
HBO Boxing After Dark

Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. vs. Brian Vera

August 3
NBCSN Fight Night
Three To See

Eddie Chambers vs.Thabiso Mchunu
Tomasz Adamek vs. Tony Grano
Curtis Stevens vs. Saul Roman

August 17
HBO Boxing After Dark

Daniel Geale vs Darren Barker for Geale's IBF Middleweight Championship

September 7

Danny Garcia vs. Lucas Matthysse for Garcia's WBC, WBA Super Light Welterweight and Ring Magazine/Lineal Championships.

September 14
Showtime PPV

Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez for the WBC Light Middleweight, and WBA Super Middleweight and the Ring Magazine/Lineal Championships

September 28

Miguel Cotto vs. Cornelius 'K9' Bundrage

September
HBO

Andre Ward vs. TBA

September
Showtime

Victor Ortiz vs. TBA (Shane Mosley)

October 5
Wladimir Klitschko vs. Alexander Povetkin for Klitschko's IBO, IBF, WBO and WBA Super Heavyweight Championships

October 12
HBO PPV

Timothy Bradley vs. Juan Manuel Marquez for Bradley's WBO Welterweight Championship
Jesse Vargas vs. TBA for Vargas' WBC Continental Americas Welterweight Championship

November 23
HBO PPV

Manny Pacquiao vs. Brandon Rios

November
HBO

Mike Alvarado vs. Zab Judah for Alvarado's WBO Interim Junior Welterweight Championship

December 7 [HBO vs. SHO head-to-head]

Amir Khan vs. Devon Alexander for Alexander's IBF Welterweight Championship
HBO Boxing After Dark
Jean Pascal vs. Lucian Bute

December
HBO

Andre Ward vs. TBA

Last edited by L.Kizzle : 06-18-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:42 PM   #1903
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Damn kinda feel bad for Showtime. That crappy HBO card featuring Dawson got about 340k+ more viewers than the stellar SHO card featuring Maidana-Lopez.

Not only that but Forbes reported that Showtime lost $12M from that last Maywether PPV. They did so much promotion for that fight that I doubt they expected it to be a flop. Make sense why we are seeing the Canelo fight so soon as opposed to next Cinco de Mayo or after Canelo has one or two more fights to build more buzz.

They're going to have to think long and hard about putting Floyd up against somebody like Devon Alexander. I know many fans like to say Floyd doesn't need anybody to sell a fight but Showtime sure does need Canelo for Floyd. And perhaps a Pacman fight before the contract ends just so they can break even or possibly profit. Not even Floyd's fault but there just isn't many big money fights out there besides Canelo or Manny.

Floyd will get paid regardless, but will be interesting to see what Showtime does from here on out because they're in the hole right now.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:09 AM   #1904
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Damn kinda feel bad for Showtime. That crappy HBO card featuring Dawson got about 340k+ more viewers than the stellar SHO card featuring Maidana-Lopez.

Not only that but Forbes reported that Showtime lost $12M from that last Maywether PPV. They did so much promotion for that fight that I doubt they expected it to be a flop. Make sense why we are seeing the Canelo fight so soon as opposed to next Cinco de Mayo or after Canelo has one or two more fights to build more buzz.

They're going to have to think long and hard about putting Floyd up against somebody like Devon Alexander. I know many fans like to say Floyd doesn't need anybody to sell a fight but Showtime sure does need Canelo for Floyd. And perhaps a Pacman fight before the contract ends just so they can break even or possibly profit. Not even Floyd's fault but there just isn't many big money fights out there besides Canelo or Manny.

Floyd will get paid regardless, but will be interesting to see what Showtime does from here on out because they're in the hole right now.

I think the strong undercard for his next fight, plus Canelo being a Mexican, and Khan, who he will probably fight later, being a Brit, should be enough until they can figure out what to do for his final couple fights. Hopefully.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:21 AM   #1905
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Ward needs to fight Stevenson at 175.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: