Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-23-2013, 09:50 PM   #1996
WWRWestbrookDo?
GOATbrook Activated

WWRWestbrookDo? has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Paulie's never been knocked out before, why did so many expect a KO? I give that performance a B for Broner and an A for Paulie.

I thought Paulie slowed down big time especially in the fight vs Cano. That is why I expected him to get knocked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
Stylistically, I see a lot more Andre Berto in Broner than Floyd Mayweather and that is why I think he will get knocked out once the clever matchmaking is out the window.

Nah Berto's problem is his stamina. He is more of a sprinter than a long distance runner while Broner/Mayweather are long distance runners. You will notice in BErto's fights he starts slowing down big time towards the 2nd half of his fights.

Mayweather has a defensive mentality with exceptional offense while Broner has a offensive mentality with solid defense.
WWRWestbrookDo? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #1997
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWRWestbrookDo?
Nah Berto's problem is his stamina. He is more of a sprinter than a long distance runner while Broner/Mayweather are long distance runners. You will notice in BErto's fights he starts slowing down big time towards the 2nd half of his fights.

Mayweather has a defensive mentality with exceptional offense while Broner has a offensive mentality with solid defense.
Shouldn't that be easy to fix? I mean isn't stamina something that anyone can increase within months of training? I don't understand this "his problem is stamina" thing.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #1998
Pointguard
NBA sixth man of the year

Pointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterPointguard is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Shouldn't that be easy to fix? I mean isn't stamina something that anyone can increase within months of training? I don't understand this "his problem is stamina" thing.

We all have a natural trained stamina, Berto is about 7 rounds, that is hard to exceed. But after constant training over years you can move beyond it. George Forman in his 20's had a 6 round stamina thing that went sour hard around the 7th round. However, in his thirties he was able to get it up to 12 rounds. But it takes a lot of work, will and knowing your body to double your ring time. It isn't something I think you can do fight to fight but over the whole course of the year dedicated to expanding lung capacity.
Pointguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 PM   #1999
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputation

June 29
HBO Boxing After Dark

Gennady Golovkin vs. Matthew Macklin for Golovkin's WBA and IBO Middleweight Championships

July 19
Showtime Championship Boxing

Ishe Smith vs. Carlos Molina for Smith's IBF Junior Middleweight Championship
Mickey Bey vs. John Molina
Badou Jack vs. Farah Ennis

July 20
Fox Sports
Golden Boy Live!

DeMarcus "Chop Chop" Corley vs. Frankie Gomez

July 27
Knockout Kings II

Andre Berto vs. Jesus Sota Karass
Keith Thurman vs. Diego Gabriel Chaves [WBO Welterweight Eliminator] for the WBO Intercontinental Welterweight and Interim WBA World Welterweight Championships
Omar Figueroa vs. Nihito Arakawa for the vacant Interim WBC Lightweight Championship
HBO Boxing After Dark
Fists of Gold II

Zou Shiming vs. Jesus Ortega
Juan Francisco Estrada vs. Milan Melindo for Estrada’s WBO and WBA Super World Flyweight Championships
Evgeny Gradovich vs. Mauricio Javier Munoz for Gradovich’s Featherweight Championship

August 3
NBCSN Fight Night
Three To See

Curtis Stevens vs. Saul Roman
Eddie Chambers vs.Thabiso Mchunu
Tomasz Adamek vs. Tony Grano

August 9
SHO BOX

Deontay Wilder vs. Siarhei Liakhovich for Wilder's WBC Continental Americas Heavyweight Championship
Jermall Charlo vs. TBA

August 17
HBO Boxing After Dark

Nathan Cleverly vs. Sergey Kovalev for Cleverly’s WBO Light-Heavyweight Championship
Daniel Geale vs Darren Barker for Geale's IBF Middleweight Championship

August 24

Abner Mares vs. Jhonny Gonzalez Mares' WBC Featherweight Championship
Victor Terrazas vs. Leo Santa Cruz for Terrazas' WBC Junior Featherweight

August 31

Bernard Hopkins vs. Karo Murat for Hopkins' IBF Light-Heavyweight Championship
Gary Russell, Jr. vs. TBA

September 7
HBO Boxing After Dark

Julio Cesar Chavez, Jr. vs. Brian Vera

September 14
Showtime PPV
THE ONE

Floyd Mayweather vs. Canelo Alvarez for the WBC Light Middleweight, and WBA Super Middleweight and the Ring Magazine/Lineal Championships

September 28

Miguel Cotto vs. Cornelius 'K9' Bundrage

October 5
Wladimir Klitschko vs. Alexander Povetkin for Klitschko's IBO, IBF, WBO and WBA Super Heavyweight Championships

October 12
HBO PPV

Timothy Bradley vs. Juan Manuel Marquez for Bradley's WBO Welterweight Championship
Jesse Vargas vs. TBA for Vargas' WBC Continental Americas Welterweight Championship

October 19

Zab Judah vs. TBA
Peter Quillin vs. TBA for Quillin's WBO Middleweight Championship

November 23
HBO PPV

Manny Pacquiao vs. Brandon Rios

December 7 [HBO vs. SHO head-to-head]

Amir Khan vs. TBA
HBO Boxing After Dark
Jean Pascal vs. Lucian Bute

Last edited by L.Kizzle : 06-29-2013 at 06:07 PM.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:46 PM   #2000
PK3434
Good Golly!

PK3434 has an OK reputation so far

I'm hearing horrible rumors that Garcia vs Judah 2 could happen instead of Garcia vs Matthyse....I'm praying that this is just a bs rumor.

Danny doesn't seem like a guy that would blatantly duck someone...

And if its Al Haymon that is behind this, then fu*k him...how is a manager the most powerful man in boxing? I'm so glad hbo got tired of his bs and told him to kick rocks.
PK3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #2001
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputationL.Kizzle has a terrific reputation

Broner-Malignaggi scored a higher rating than Canelo-Trout, that is surprising.

Broner-Malignaggi is actually the 2nd highest Showtime audience ever, with only Cotto-Trout outdoing them from last year.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:36 AM   #2002
BrooklynZoo
The Brooklyn Brawler.

BrooklynZoo has decent reputationBrooklynZoo has decent reputation

Quote:

Broner-Malignaggi is actually the 2nd highest Showtime audience ever, with only Cotto-Trout outdoing them from last year.

i guess the trash talking they did worked. As far as the fight goes, I was impressed with Broner when he was busy and throwing punches. The problem is he wasn't throwing them for half the fight as either Paulie's style was throwing him off or he was coasting and sizing him up for too long. Paulie displayed a good chin as he took his punches really well and was never seriously hurt in the fight. If Paulie had any type of power this would have been a much more interesting fight. At times it looked almost comical the way he seemed to be just touching AB with his gloves. Paulie won his rounds due to his punch rate and AB's inactivity, while Broner won most of his rounds pretty decidedly with thumping punches. I had the fight around 116-112 Broner, despite rooting for the hometown Malignaggi (and I dont know where he was coming from with his "fix" rant at the end. I'm surprised a judge had the fight in his favor)

Last edited by BrooklynZoo : 06-26-2013 at 01:45 AM.
BrooklynZoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 10:41 AM   #2003
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:

Showtime had their free preview this weekend so perhaps that helped?
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:36 PM   #2004
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Showtime had their free preview this weekend so perhaps that helped?
They said the free preview didn't count, only subscribers.

Broner had the 2 highest numbers for this year as his fight vs. Gavin Reese did 1.4 Mill. That really says something about how much more viewers HBO has than Showtime. If his fight vs. Paulie was on HBO, it's doing 2.0+.

Tyson Fury had a 1.7 if I remember correctly for his fight a few months back on NBC Sports. But not sure how those numbers were calculated. It didn't even air in America live.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:00 PM   #2005
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One has decent reputationTarik One has decent reputation

I'm at the Floyd/Canelo fight promo RIGHT NOW. I'm looking right at them from 20 feet away. De La Hoya as well.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #2006
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
I'm at the Floyd/Canelo fight promo RIGHT NOW. I'm looking right at them from 20 feet away. De La Hoya as well.
I'll be at the one in Houston next Monday.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 PM   #2007
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

Nice Oscar Da La Hoya highlight. One of my 5 favorite fighters of all time. Was such a beast, win or lose. Always fought the best until the end of his career. Epic chin, good size and speed, one of the best jabs in the biz, and man what a left hook.

He really could have been an all-time great if he tweaked his game plans a bit in his mega fights, chilled out on the booze, had better conditioning, and developed his right hand a bit more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doSXJCS3B7U
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #2008
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
They said the free preview didn't count, only subscribers.

Broner had the 2 highest numbers for this year as his fight vs. Gavin Reese did 1.4 Mill. That really says something about how much more viewers HBO has than Showtime. If his fight vs. Paulie was on HBO, it's doing 2.0+.

Tyson Fury had a 1.7 if I remember correctly for his fight a few months back on NBC Sports. But not sure how those numbers were calculated. It didn't even air in America live.

Yea Broner has done drawn very well so far in his young career. I heard somewhere that the past 3 or 4 Showtime fights have been the highest ever for SHO sports.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:35 PM   #2009
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Yea Broner has done drawn very well so far in his young career. I heard somewhere that the past 3 or 4 Showtime fights have been the highest ever for SHO sports.
Cotto-Trout
Broner-Paulie
Canelo-Trout
Canelo-Josesito

Those have been the highest rated fights in Showtime history, and all have happened in the past year or so. I think Hopkins-Pascal from 2010 is somewhere around there also.

Since Canelo seems to be goin to PPV now, I read that they will try to keep Broner as long as possible on just Showtime and not send him to PPV right away. I predict Broner won't have his first PPV until he fights Mayweather (yes, I believe they will fight, it has been brewing the past week or so ...)

They still have Danny Garcia, Abner Mares and other young guys to carry Showtime. Showtime is in good hands.
Old 06-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #2010
PistonsFan#21
College star

PistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Cotto-Trout
Broner-Paulie
Canelo-Trout
Canelo-Josesito

Those have been the highest rated fights in Showtime history, and all have happened in the past year or so. I think Hopkins-Pascal from 2010 is somewhere around there also.

Since Canelo seems to be goin to PPV now, I read that they will try to keep Broner as long as possible on just Showtime and not send him to PPV right away. I predict Broner won't have his first PPV until he fights Mayweather (yes, I believe they will fight, it has been brewing the past week or so ...)

They still have Danny Garcia, Abner Mares and other young guys to carry Showtime. Showtime is in good hands.

i have a hard time believing that Mayweather-Guerrero didnt make that list. i though Showtime confirmed they sold over 1 million PPV for the fight and im pretty sure some of the fights you listed couldnt even come close to such a number. Or am i missing something?

edit: just realised that none of those fights were PPV fights which is pretty surprising. nvm what i said

Last edited by PistonsFan#21 : 06-26-2013 at 09:51 PM.
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: