Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-05-2013, 08:33 PM   #2086
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
That is just a fantastic uppercut. It was almost reminiscent of Ike Ibeabuchi's famed "hookercut" against Chris Byrd.

Haha she has a crazy chin though, she wasn't unconscious!

Oh man watching that GIF makes me think how good Ike's career could have been...
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #2087
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Tony Thompson beat David Price again.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #2088
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
Haha she has a crazy chin though, she wasn't unconscious!

Oh man watching that GIF makes me think how good Ike's career could have been...
I've said it before... I think he could have beaten Lennox Lewis, who I hold in very high regard. He had all the tools. Size, skill, chin, power, speed, athleticism, ring IQ...

He just happened to be completely insane. In boxing circles, he has become a legend. Like, the Len Bias of boxing.

He could have been great and was already on his way with impressive wins over an unbeaten David Tua and Chris Byrd.

Damn... Still pisses me off.

Anybody unfamiliar with Ibeabuchi, do yourself a favor and watch Ike v. Tua from '97. One of the greatest heavyweight fights I've ever seen. And, I don't think Tua was ever the same guy after this fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ6w9I4I4T8

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 07-07-2013 at 06:07 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #2089
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
top 5 p4p of all time

nah lol
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:37 PM   #2090
PistonsFan#21
College star

PistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNicKz
nah lol

how come? i dont think there is a fighter from any era that could beat a prime Roy Jones JR. Dont let the last few years of his career fool you.
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:42 PM   #2091
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
how come? i dont think there is a fighter from any era that could beat a prime Roy Jones JR. Dont let the last few years of his career fool you.

He was a great fighter but he's not top 5 all time

Top 5 fastest fighters of all time, but he lacked technique which resulted in him getting rocked in his 30s
Old 07-07-2013, 06:47 PM   #2092
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
When people rank the top 5 pound-for-pound, it is usually about more than just how good you think a guy was at his peak. That's part of it, but it's also about who you beat, your accomplishments, etc.

I'm a huge RJJ fan, but he's nowhere near that high if you're making a real p4p list. He just didn't have enough marquee wins to be up there with the likes of Sugar Ray Robinson, Henry Armstrong, Harry Greb, Willie Pep and Roberto Duran.

That's my personal top 5 p4p. If I had to sit and rank it out, I'd guess RJJ would fall somewhere between 25 and 40. Still very high when you consider this sport goes back over a century and there's so many weight classes.

At his absolute peak at 168, I might even be willing to say there's no one who has ever fought in that division who I would absolutely favor to beat him. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to prove it against another great fighter. The middleweight wins over James Toney and Bernard Hopkins were great, but he'd need a lot more of those kinds of wins to be top 5 p4p.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 07-07-2013 at 07:00 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #2093
Vragrant
National High School Star

Vragrant is considered somewhat coolVragrant is considered somewhat cool

Roy isn't top 5 P4P even though he is an alltime great. Top 5 p4p in terms of talent? Most definately.
Vragrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:54 PM   #2094
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
I've said it before... I think he could have beaten Lennox Lewis, who I hold in very high regard. He had all the tools. Size, skill, chin, power, speed, athleticism, ring IQ...

He just happened to be completely insane. In boxing circles, he has become a legend. Like, the Len Bias of boxing.

He could have been great and was already on his way with impressive wins over an unbeaten David Tua and Chris Byrd.

Damn... Still pisses me off.

Anybody unfamiliar with Ibeabuchi, do yourself a favor and watch Ike v. Tua from '97. One of the greatest heavyweight fights I've ever seen. And, I don't think Tua was ever the same guy after this fight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ6w9I4I4T8

Yeah that fight was crazy, Tua is a complete savage as well. One of the most epic things about Ike(among other things) is that he simply decided to pick up boxing when he was already a grown ass man after he saw the Tyson-Buster fight, it's so rare to see a successful fighter at the top level without having picked up the sport from a young age and without a long amateur career.

Do you really think he could have beaten Lennox? Beat, as in, get his ass kicked the whole time but his amazing chin holds up and lands a bomb on Lennox, or actually outbox him and break him down? Honestly, I don't think there are more than maybe 1 or 2 heavyweights in history that I would choose to beat Lennox at his best...
Old 07-07-2013, 10:55 PM   #2095
PistonsFan#21
College star

PistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
When people rank the top 5 pound-for-pound, it is usually about more than just how good you think a guy was at his peak. That's part of it, but it's also about who you beat, your accomplishments, etc.

I'm a huge RJJ fan, but he's nowhere near that high if you're making a real p4p list. He just didn't have enough marquee wins to be up there with the likes of Sugar Ray Robinson, Henry Armstrong, Harry Greb, Willie Pep and Roberto Duran.

That's my personal top 5 p4p. If I had to sit and rank it out, I'd guess RJJ would fall somewhere between 25 and 40. Still very high when you consider this sport goes back over a century and there's so many weight classes.

At his absolute peak at 168, I might even be willing to say there's no one who has ever fought in that division who I would absolutely favor to beat him. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to prove it against another great fighter. The middleweight wins over James Toney and Bernard Hopkins were great, but he'd need a lot more of those kinds of wins to be top 5 p4p.

To me pound for pound means the better fighter if both boxers were to fight at the same weight. Resume and all that is important but not as important as who is more talented and more skilled. This is why there is a difference between pound for pound and greatest boxers of all time to me. I couldnt name 5 boxers in the history of boxing who could match up with a prime Roy Jones if they were to face him at the same weight.

And even though boxing exist for over a century i think we can all agree that it improved alot over the time and no boxer from back then could even mess with Roy.

A boxer shouldnt be penalized for not having alot of HOF opponents on his resume unless he ducks them. If i remember correctly when he faced Bernard Hopkins and James Toney he had some pretty comfortable wins and those 2 guys are some of the best of all time

Last edited by PistonsFan#21 : 07-07-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #2096
Flash88
Kids at the park dunk on me

Flash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this board

Quote:
If anything, Ike wasn't the same after that. He complained frequently of headaches after the Tua fight and his already odd behavior increased. The fight was incredibly close and could have gone either way. I personally scored for it Tua. The Byrd win was solid, though.

Ike has become overrated these days. Even before he went batshit insane and kidnapped those people, he was a ticking timebomb inside the ring. You could hear Ike's trainer imploring him not to quit when he was fighting against Tua during the middle of the fight. Essentially he's what Andrew Golota would have been had he retired right after the Bowe fights. Every internet forum would've had guys saying that Lewis was lucky Golota wasn't around. But since Lewis actually did fight Golota and ended up steamrolling him, that point is moot.
Flash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #2097
kNicKz
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
Honestly, I don't think there are more than maybe 1 or 2 heavyweights in history that I would choose to beat Lennox at his best...

McCall? lol
Old 07-07-2013, 11:01 PM   #2098
Flash88
Kids at the park dunk on me

Flash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this board

Quote:
A boxer shouldnt be penalized for not having alot of HOF opponents on his resume unless he ducks them. If i remember correctly when he faced Bernard Hopkins and James Toney he had some pretty comfortable wins and those 2 guys are some of the best of all time
As talented as Roy was, he never won a lineal championship, which is pretty unfathomable if you think about it.

If he had fought DM or at least given Hopkins a rematch after Hopkins unified the middleweight division and beaten them both, his career would've been looked at a lot more favorably. I give him a pass for not fighting Toney again though -- from what I've read, Toney didn't want a rematch.
Flash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #2099
PistonsFan#21
College star

Quote:
He was a great fighter but he's not top 5 all time

Top 5 fastest fighters of all time, but he lacked technique which resulted in him getting rocked in his 30s

i didnt say he is a top 5 greatest boxer of all time. I say he is a top 5 pound for pound in his prime. There is a difference.

I dont think you can name me 5 fighters that could beat Roy if they were matched up against him
Old 07-07-2013, 11:32 PM   #2100
lefthook00
College star

Quote:
McCall? lol

And Hasim Rahman haha.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: