Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-08-2013, 05:47 PM   #2101
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

These 3 videos must be reposted every couple of months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnzofi_QltI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqSq7XbSQkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8PX8O7mHIE

And if anyone has some extra time and wants to see possiby the worst beatdown of all time that didn't end in a KO, watch Toney vs. Barkley.

Last edited by lefthook00 : 07-08-2013 at 05:51 PM.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:23 PM   #2102
PistonsFan#21
College star

PistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
These 3 videos must be reposted every couple of months.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vnzofi_QltI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqSq7XbSQkA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8PX8O7mHIE

And if anyone has some extra time and wants to see possiby the worst beatdown of all time that didn't end in a KO, watch Toney vs. Barkley.

one of my favorite tribute by Gorilla productions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RloUlqoMhIs

i think he is the best for boxing mixes on youtube
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #2103
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistonsFan#21
one of my favorite tribute by Gorilla productions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RloUlqoMhIs

i think he is the best for boxing mixes on youtube

Yeah GP is awesome. Watching that vid makes me miss the younger, prime version of Floyd. People tend to forget, or flat out don't know, that Floyd used to be a calculated aggressive savage that always came out to beat the piss out of you.
Old 07-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #2104
PistonsFan#21
College star

PistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputationPistonsFan#21 has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook00
Yeah GP is awesome. Watching that vid makes me miss the younger, prime version of Floyd. People tend to forget, or flat out don't know, that Floyd used to be a calculated aggressive savage that always came out to beat the piss out of you.

totally agree. I kinda understand his defensive mindset though. he got older, matured and understood that boxing is just his job. He should only care about his health and winning. There is no point in getting in brawls just to please the fans if you can avoid it. So many boxers end up with brain damage and punch drunk at a ''young'' age. Even some current boxers like Shane Mosley and Brandon Rios sound like they had some damage already
PistonsFan#21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:09 AM   #2105
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash88
If anything, Ike wasn't the same after that. He complained frequently of headaches after the Tua fight and his already odd behavior increased. The fight was incredibly close and could have gone either way. I personally scored for it Tua. The Byrd win was solid, though.

Ike has become overrated these days. Even before he went batshit insane and kidnapped those people, he was a ticking timebomb inside the ring. You could hear Ike's trainer imploring him not to quit when he was fighting against Tua during the middle of the fight. Essentially he's what Andrew Golota would have been had he retired right after the Bowe fights. Every internet forum would've had guys saying that Lewis was lucky Golota wasn't around. But since Lewis actually did fight Golota and ended up steamrolling him, that point is moot.
Ike was mentally ill all along. I think that's been pretty well established. This wasn't just something that cropped up all of a sudden one day. Guy was hallucinating and having crazy delusions. His mom was also completely insane, which shows it was a hereditary thing. There are a lot of links between brain diseases and boxing. I've never heard paranoid schizophrenia being an outgrowth of boxing.

He was a ticking timebomb long before he stepped into the ring against Tua.

I'm not crazy about the Golota comparisons, either. Golota's name was made solely upon the trouble he gave Riddick Bowe. It was just one of those "styles make fights" things, along with Bowe being essentially finished after that last Holyfield fight. Golota was an OK fighter who happened to catch the right guy at the right time, but still couldn't win because he was so stupid/insane.

Ibeabuchi was a different animal. He was an unknown up until the Tua fight, but beating that version of Tua -- who was undefeated and considered the best young heavyweight in the sport -- means a hell of a lot more to me than Golota beating up on a potentially brain damaged Riddick Bowe.

Secondly, he followed it up by knocking Chris Byrd senseless, who was also undefeated at the time. Byrd may have not been an all-time great, but he never lost like that in his prime. That's what made that win so noteworthy.

I don't think any other fighter was able to stop Byrd before he got old and he fought pretty much all the top guys.

That's what makes Ibeabuchi such an enigma. He was able to slug it out with Tua and then turn around and stand and box with Byrd before his career abruptly ended. That's a versatile fighter.

He also showed incredible endurance and a great work rate for a guy that big who could hit that hard... And he showed a great jab against Tua. I felt he could have won that fight easily had he just stood on the outside and peppered him with jabs and an occasional right cross behind it. He chose to slug it out with Tua and still won (I thought he pretty clearly won).

That's why I think he would have given Lennox problems. He could box from the outside or slug it out on the inside. He showed a great chin against Tua and great power against Byrd. I'm not saying I'd definitely favor him over Lewis, but I think he may have been the closest guy to Lewis at that stage of the heavyweight division, had he not been totally nuts.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 07-09-2013 at 04:12 AM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:56 AM   #2106
lefthook00
College star

Yeah I think Ike & Tua set a heavyweight punch record for that fight. Tua had some extreme endurance for a guy that big, almost suspiciously extreme.

I would have loved to see both Tua and Ike vs. Tyson.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:24 AM   #2107
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool

If Lennox Lewis could walk through Razor Ruddock, I don't see him having that much of a problem overcoming Ibeabuchi.
Tarik One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #2108
iamgine

iamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected poster

Are we saying that we will put our bet for Lennox Lewis against any boxer in history?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 PM   #2109
Flash88
Kids at the park dunk on me

Flash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
That's what makes Ibeabuchi such an enigma. He was able to slug it out with Tua and then turn around and stand and box with Byrd before his career abruptly ended. That's a versatile fighter.

That's why I think he would have given Lennox problems. He could box from the outside or slug it out on the inside. He showed a great chin against Tua and great power against Byrd. I'm not saying I'd definitely favor him over Lewis, but I think he may have been the closest guy to Lewis at that stage of the heavyweight division, had he not been totally nuts.
There's little evidence that Ike could box from the outside. He didn't box with Byrd in the center of the ring -- he was stalking Byrd and unloading on him when Byrd got to the ropes.

Ike wouldn't have been able to outbox Lennox, regardless. He would've had to beat him by knockout, and you could make the case that plenty of boxers in history could've caught Lennox and KOed him.
Flash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #2110
Flash88

Flash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Are we saying that we will put our bet for Lennox Lewis against any boxer in history?
He shouldn't have any problems with Dempsey, Johnson, Marciano, Charles, Walcott, Frazier, Norton, Patterson.

I think he should be handily favored over Louis, Liston, Holyfield, Bowe.

I think he's a slight favorite over: Foreman, Holmes

Fights that are close enough that I can't favor either fighter: Tyson, Ali, Klitschko brothers
Old 07-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #2111
iamgine

iamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
He shouldn't have any problems with Dempsey, Johnson, Marciano, Charles, Walcott, Frazier, Norton, Patterson.

I think he should be handily favored over Louis, Liston, Holyfield, Bowe.

I think he's a slight favorite over: Foreman, Holmes

Fights that are close enough that I can't favor either fighter: Tyson, Ali, Klitschko brothers
I disagree with Bowe. I think he belongs in that last category. Man Bowe was damn good.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:36 PM   #2112
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
There's little evidence that Ike could box from the outside. He didn't box with Byrd in the center of the ring -- he was stalking Byrd and unloading on him when Byrd got to the ropes.

Ike wouldn't have been able to outbox Lennox, regardless. He would've had to beat him by knockout, and you could make the case that plenty of boxers in history could've caught Lennox and KOed him.
He was handling Tua from the outside and he showed a terrific, snapping jab in that fight. That's why I said, if he would have fought a smarter fight and just stayed back and boxed, it would have been an easy fight. The first 3-4 rounds, he utterly dominated Tua primarily from the outside.

He seemed to be fine with allowing Tua to initiate a brawl in the last 8 rounds, but it wasn't for lack of an outside game... Just seemed like he was content with brawling.

There's no doubt he had skill from the outside as evidenced by that fight. He just wasn't committed enough to it to completely take advantage of his physical abilities, which may go back to his mental instability. At the end of the day, that would have likely been his undoing in the ring, but from a pure physical/skill standpoint, he had the goods from everything I saw.

The only complaint I have about his boxing ability outside was that he unloaded that terrific jab on Tua, but didn't bring the right cross/hook behind it. That punch was there all night, but he didn't throw it for whatever reason. Again, it felt like he could have made easy work of Tua with a better gameplan.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he would have outboxed Lewis. Lewis had elite level boxing skill to go along with his massive frame. However, Ike had a FAR better chin. He was caught with flush shots from Tua and never seemed even fazed.

With his ability to punch hard and accurately and with that nice jab he showed against Tua, I could see him giving Lewis problems. Not definitely saying he would beat him, but like I said... He had a combination of size, speed and skill that may have made him arguably the best competition for Lewis at that stage.

Sadly, we'll never know.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:41 PM   #2113
Flash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
I disagree with Bowe. I think he belongs in that last category. Man Bowe was damn good.
Agreed. I just think that Lewis had a mental edge over Bowe after beating him up in the Olympics and the fact that Bowe seemed really unwilling to fight Lewis back when he was champion.

Bowe's manager offered Lewis a contract that was winner-take-all from a combined purse of $32 million. Lewis quickly agreed and then Bowe/his team backed out. LOL.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #2114
Flash88

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
He was handling Tua from the outside and he showed a terrific, snapping jab in that fight. That's why I said, if he would have fought a smarter fight and just stayed back and boxed, it would have been an easy fight. The first 3-4 rounds, he utterly dominated Tua primarily from the outside.
LOL. He would occasionally throw a series of jabs to keep Tua at bay and then the two would start trading blows. Hardly indicative of someone being able to "box from the outside."

Besides, your argument of Ibeabuchi being able to box stemmed from the Byrd fight, which doesn't really make much sense either.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #2115
iamgine

Quote:
Agreed. I just think that Lewis had a mental edge over Bowe after beating him up in the Olympics and the fact that Bowe seemed really unwilling to fight Lewis back when he was champion.

Bowe's manager offered Lewis a contract that was winner-take-all from a combined purse of $32 million. Lewis quickly agreed and then Bowe/his team backed out. LOL.
Yeah I would agree that Bowe made a big mistake dodging Lewis.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: