Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #2146
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagaZ
Mayweather vs Khan on May 3rd done. In Vegas.

I thought they would fight in UK. But Mayweather is probably too scared of fighting away from home.
The hell is he scared of?

And Khan is now denying the reports.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #2147
andremiller07
#Dre Day in Sac Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
The hell is he scared of?

And Khan is now denying the reports.
Knocking out/humiliating Khan to quickly and causing the English Hooligans to come attack him and his team.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:44 PM   #2148
Nastradamus
Decent college freshman

If this happens I will be quite sad. He will annihilate Khan in about 5 rounds. Just awful. I'd much rather see Garcia, or almost anything else.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:32 PM   #2149
Tarik One
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Mayweather vs Khan on May 3rd done. In Vegas.

I thought they would fight in UK. But Mayweather is probably too scared of fighting away from home.
Uh, Mayweather is contracted to fight at the MGM Grand for his remaining 4 fights. Nice try.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:34 PM   #2150
kNicKz
College superstar

Quote:

khan got knocked out by a jab from Breidis Prescott

kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 12:48 AM   #2151
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Slightly disappointed in the choice of Khan, but the other options aren't all that intriguing. Khan will draw a crowd and have a nation behind him.

Obviously, Garcia is much more deserving, but it may be wise to give him another fight to up his profile before putting him in against Mayweather. That probably wouldn't have done much business, PPV wise.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:27 AM   #2152
andremiller07
#Dre Day in Sac Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Slightly disappointed in the choice of Khan, but the other options aren't all that intriguing. Khan will draw a crowd and have a nation behind him.

Obviously, Garcia is much more deserving, but it may be wise to give him another fight to up his profile before putting him in against Mayweather. That probably wouldn't have done much business, PPV wise.
With the way Garcia's dad talks imo the trash talking between him and the Mayweather camp would have generated a lot of buzz.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #2153
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by andremiller07
With the way Garcia's dad talks imo the trash talking between him and the Mayweather camp would have generated a lot of buzz.
I agree the two camps would generate some incredibly TV friendly verbal sparring in the lead-up to the fight, but it's important to remember this is about trying maximize the event.

It's about a combination of variables hopefully all coming to pass at the same time.

1. The easiest way to sell a Mayweather PPV is to give the public a reason to believe he has a chance of losing. At the end of the day, that's the reason Alvarez sold so well. His combination of size and skill presumably made him a legitimate threat. Garcia is getting there, but not quite there yet in this category. The Matthysse fight was a great step in that direction, but one more domination of a top tier fighter and people will really take notice.

2. The kind of entertaining smack talk that you're bringing up. This is one of the big reasons his fight with Hatton was a business success in America. Those crazy Brits could talk smack with the best of them. Garcia doesn't necessarily have this trait, but his dad does... And that should be good enough, you're right.

3. Commercial appeal. Alvarez, DLH, Gatti and Mosley all had it. Garcia doesn't. Yet. Again, that doesn't mean another really quality win over a recognizable fighter won't go a long way to making him viable commercially.

So, it isn't so much that Garcia fails miserably in these variables, but it's that his potential to grow (especially in categories 1 & 3) is substantial. From a business standpoint, it might make sense to let him prove himself a little more and become a little more recognizable to American masses before shoving him in against Mayweather.

And, that's why fighting Khan first -- who has less room to grow and is more likely to decline than anything -- might make more sense from a PPV perspective at this moment. Garcia likely isn't going anywhere as an intriguing opponent down the road a bit.

My take.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #2154
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack

Khan really doesn't draw a crowd though. His numbers since coming to fight here haven't been stellar at all, somewhat disappointing. I think it's safe to say that Garcia's name is just as known, if not more than Khans name, to casual fans.

Since it will be in Vegas, I believe a Garcia fight would do as good as the Khan fight. Danny is a much easier sell. American, undefeated, came off a convincing win against the "next manny pacquiao". While Khan went tooth and nail in his last fight and got stopped by Garcia before that. I'll say this though, Khan might be the fastest boxer Floyd has fought in a while. Maybe that could play a factor.

But until Floyd confirms it, I don't believe this is his next fight. I mean, can you really sell Khan to the public as a threat to Floyd?
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #2155
iamgine

If we're talking Brits, isn't Kell Brooks the Champ for now?

Khan has been sucking.

The obvious matchup is Broner vs Mayweather. That will generate a ton of money.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:24 PM   #2156
Tarik One
NBA sixth man of the year

I think the Mayweather camp, promotion companies and Showtime affiliates were banking on Matthysse to dominate Garcia to help build up another potential threat to Floyd. Had Matthysse whipped Garcia, we'd be looking at Mayweather/Matthysse in May which certainly would have generated more PPV buys than any other matchup that is available now.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:41 PM   #2157
Nastradamus
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
If we're talking Brits, isn't Kell Brooks the Champ for now?

Khan has been sucking.

The obvious matchup is Broner vs Mayweather. That will generate a ton of money.

I'm thinking something like Garcia/Broner before that happens.
Nastradamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 07:31 PM   #2158
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Khan really doesn't draw a crowd though. His numbers since coming to fight here haven't been stellar at all, somewhat disappointing. I think it's safe to say that Garcia's name is just as known, if not more than Khans name, to casual fans.

Since it will be in Vegas, I believe a Garcia fight would do as good as the Khan fight. Danny is a much easier sell. American, undefeated, came off a convincing win against the "next manny pacquiao". While Khan went tooth and nail in his last fight and got stopped by Garcia before that. I'll say this though, Khan might be the fastest boxer Floyd has fought in a while. Maybe that could play a factor.

But until Floyd confirms it, I don't believe this is his next fight. I mean, can you really sell Khan to the public as a threat to Floyd?
To be perfectly honest, I don't think any of the currently available options (basically any fighter not under Top Rank) can be sold to the public as a viable threat to Floyd at this stage. Everyone will naturally assume he's going to dominate whoever he fights. I think a reason for waiting on doing the Garcia fight, as I explained above, is because he could eventually make a case as a threat, but he's not there quite yet.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:37 PM   #2159
lefthook00
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNicKz
khan got knocked out by a jab from Breidis Prescott

lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #2160
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

October 5
HBO World Championship Boxing
KLITSCHKO VS. POVETKIN

Wladimir Klitschko vs. Alexander Povetkin for Klitschko’s IBO, IBF, WBO and WBA “Super” Heavyweight Championships

RELOADED: COTTO VS. RODRIGUEZ
Miguel Cotto vs. Delvin Rodriguez
Terrence Crawford vs. Andrey Klimov for the vacant WBO NABO Lightweight Championship

At 3 PM, HBO kicks of live with the Klitscho brother in action than later than night it's Miguel Cotto.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: