Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-14-2013, 02:52 AM   #2161
Flash88
Kids at the park dunk on me

Flash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this board
Default Re: All Purpose Boxing Discussion Thread

Thurman is going to steamroll Chaves. You guys don't think Oscar's going to put up one of his most prized prospects against a legit contender, did you?

Chaves' record is totally padded.
Flash88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:06 AM   #2162
Canelo_Griffin
I hit open layups

Canelo_Griffin is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Shit got really awkward.
For those who dont know, there has been some serious beef between the Garcia Family/Brandon Rios and Victor Ortiz for a couple of years now. You can see Brandon Rios mad-dogging Ortiz and even calls him a bitch at one point. If it wasn't for the GB/TR bullshit this would be a fight that i'd really wanna see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1lHD6XhjWU
Canelo_Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:09 AM   #2163
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash88
Thurman is going to steamroll Chaves. You guys don't think Oscar's going to put up one of his most prized prospects against a legit contender, did you?

Why wouldn't he? Lets say Thurman wins, that puts him on a course with a match-up with Adrien Broner next. Why would he have his two young guns collide in match sometime later this year? If Oscar was smart, he would have Thurman going towards Devon Alexander and the IBF belt not Broner and the WBA belt.

We'll see in 2 weeks, someone's 0 will be gone.
L.Kizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:11 AM   #2164
Bobcats2013
Warriors NBA Champs 15

Bobcats2013 has decent reputationBobcats2013 has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canelo_Griffin
Shit got really awkward.
For those who dont know, there has been some serious beef between the Garcia Family/Brandon Rios and Victor Ortiz for a couple of years now. You can see Brandon Rios mad-dogging Ortiz and even calls him a bitch at one point. If it wasn't for the GB/TR bullshit this would be a fight that i'd really wanna see.

Ortiz's brother likes pulling guns on people.
Bobcats2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 03:14 AM   #2165
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

L.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this boardL.Kizzle is popular on this board

Quote:
Shit got really awkward.

Damn, reminds me of this.

Last edited by L.Kizzle : 07-14-2013 at 03:21 AM.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:18 AM   #2166
Canelo_Griffin
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcats2013
Ortiz's brother likes pulling guns on people.

Yea, and apparently Brandon Rios wasn't to fond of it.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:19 AM   #2167
Canelo_Griffin
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
Damn, reminds me of this.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:21 AM   #2168
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
It disappeared.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:50 AM   #2169
Reef
College star

Reef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterReef is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash88

You're probably right. I just love seeing undefeated guys fighting each other, especially those with solid power.
Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:27 AM   #2170
Flash88

Flash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this boardFlash88 is popular on this board

Quote:
Why wouldn't he? Lets say Thurman wins, that puts him on a course with a match-up with Adrien Broner next. Why would he have his two young guns collide in match sometime later this year? If Oscar was smart, he would have Thurman going towards Devon Alexander and the IBF belt not Broner and the WBA belt.

We'll see in 2 weeks, someone's 0 will be gone.
The rankings mean nothing. Thurman will be fighting gatekeepers for the next year or so. He probably will never fight Broner. Oscar's going to match Broner up with fighters who pose little risk and he's going to do the same with Thurman. I can guarantee you that they won't fight this year or next year, and in my opinion, they'll never fight.

And in 2 weeks, we'll watch Thurman destroy another guy who has little chance of winning while Broner will be fed some scrub for his next fight as well. And we're going to be stuck with shitty matchups on Showtime for the foreseeable future because the guy who runs boxing for the network used to be the lawyer for Golden Boy Promotions.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:52 AM   #2171
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
But his five previous fights before he destroyed Arums future cash cow were broadcast on the HBO network ...

The Klitchko thing I think is different. They really have no competition, they just beat down there opponents. The last Klitchko fight was what, with Chris Areola I think. With Rigo, they can make plenty of interesting fights and we won't know how it's going to end. We know how a Klitschko fight is going to end. But how would Rigo vs. Mikey Garcia end? Chris John? Ponce De Leon? ect.

LMAO Donaire could not or was not a cash cow. If we are talking cash cow, that would be Chavez Jr. There is simply not much money to be made at those lower weight divisions.

As for Rigo, outcomes doesnt matter, HBO cares about how watchable a fight is and if they can draw. There are not many Rigo fights out there that would be entertaining the the masses. Chris John fights at 126, don't know if Rigo is moving up anytime soon, he's a small guy. Mikey Garcia is moving to 130 and is with Golden Boy so that's not going to happen. Ponce De Leon is also with Golden Boy and Rigo would slaughter him.

The only fights that could sell is putting him in there with punches like Abner Mares or Santa Cruz. Those would be entertaining. Much better than putting counter puncher vs counter puncher. Problem is, both those guys are with Golden Boy. And according to Scahfer, he doesn't need to work with Top Rank.

If you're going to be mad at someone, be mad at HBO. Arum said himself, "every time I bring up Rigo, they want to throw up. So I have to find a matchup that would work". You can't fight like Rigo does and expect to headline a show. Boxing is a business and part entertainment as well and folks aren't going to want to pay these prices to see guys sit and wait and throw 10 punches in a round.

I dont mind HBO did this. Only beef I have is that they should do this with all the other fighters that are on their cards and stink it up.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #2172
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
LMAO Donaire could not or was not a cash cow. If we are talking cash cow, that would be Chavez Jr. There is simply not much money to be made at those lower weight divisions.

As for Rigo, outcomes doesnt matter, HBO cares about how watchable a fight is and if they can draw. There are not many Rigo fights out there that would be entertaining the the masses. Chris John fights at 126, don't know if Rigo is moving up anytime soon, he's a small guy. Mikey Garcia is moving to 130 and is with Golden Boy so that's not going to happen. Ponce De Leon is also with Golden Boy and Rigo would slaughter him.

The only fights that could sell is putting him in there with punches like Abner Mares or Santa Cruz. Those would be entertaining. Much better than putting counter puncher vs counter puncher. Problem is, both those guys are with Golden Boy. And according to Scahfer, he doesn't need to work with Top Rank.

If you're going to be mad at someone, be mad at HBO. Arum said himself, "every time I bring up Rigo, they want to throw up. So I have to find a matchup that would work". You can't fight like Rigo does and expect to headline a show. Boxing is a business and part entertainment as well and folks aren't going to want to pay these prices to see guys sit and wait and throw 10 punches in a round.

I dont mind HBO did this. Only beef I have is that they should do this with all the other fighters that are on their cards and stink it up.
Donaire is probably third at TR behind Manny/Chavez Jr. He's a better seller than Bradley.
Old 07-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #2173
Canelo_Griffin
I hit open layups

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets

Mikey Garcia is with Top Rank.
He and Abner Mares have both been calling each other out in recent days but both have admitted that a fight is virtually impossible as long as the Golden Boy and Top Rank beef continues. That fking sucks.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:07 AM   #2174
Flash88

HBO needs to market Rigo better. I don't know why they have such a hard-on for Ward, but ignore Rigondeaux -- I speculate that it's because Ward speaks English, but who knows?

If you want to rank pound-for-pound in terms of a long and meritorious career/resume, then Rigo shouldn't really be in the top 5. But if you're ranking it as who you truly think would be the best fighter in the world if everyone was the same weight, then I would rank Rigo #2 to only Floyd. It might not resonate right now, but I think down the line we'll recognize Rigo's schooling of Donaire as one of the all-time boxing clinics... right up there with Whitaker/Chavez, Hopkins/Trinidad, Sanchez/Gomez, Jones/Toney, etc.
Old 07-15-2013, 04:22 AM   #2175
andremiller07
#QuincyAcy Fan

andremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

DAMN!!! Did anyone see Edwin Rodriguez go nuts on Grachev in the first round, jesus that was some of the cleanest hitting I have ever seen in my life he literally couldn't miss him every quick was sharp and damaging. He completely just blew him out of the water that was insane. Edwin is a monster
andremiller07 is online now   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: